Reload this Page >

UK to Australia and now US?

UK to Australia and now US?

Old Mar 2nd 2020, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Rhysdavies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to Australia and now US?

Originally Posted by MattOR
I lived in NC for close to year and found it pleasant enough. Hard to know what constitutes pros and cons as everything is personal but here's my take:

Pros - The climate pleasant as it rarely gets too hot or cold, although the humidity makes it feel hotter than it really is. Nothing like Australia tho...The people are very polite and friendly. The economy is good as Charlotte is a major financial center and the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill triangle is a global tech hub. The cost of living is reasonable - certainly when compared to the northeast or west coast. You can own a nice house for what you would pay for a tiny studio apartment in Seattle. Lots of history with many towns that predate the revolution. Pretty hills in the western part of the state and nice beaches in the east. The pace of life is a little less fast paced than other parts of the country. Good air links to the UK with daily direct flights between London, Manchester, Charlotte,and Raleigh. Flight time is ~7 hours which makes a week long trip a doable proposition. If you are conservative then you will love the politics.

Cons - The Smokey Mountains and the beaches are a long way from the main cities. The rest of it is really bland. Just mono-culture forests, fields, sub-divisions, and sprawl with long commutes. If you are liberal you will hate the politics

Personally NC was a bit too dull for me but I can certainly see the appeal if you are looking for a place where your money will go further. Best of luck to you.
Thanks for the insight, very helpful
I certainly see housing affordability and friendly people as two huge plus points, add a good economy and pleasant climate and it sounds very appealing, similar to previous comments.

Understand it may have been not lively enough for you and wish you the best wherever youn’ are now

thanks again
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 3:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Australia and now US?

Originally Posted by MattOR
I lived in NC for close to year and found it pleasant enough. Hard to know what constitutes pros and cons as everything is personal but here's my take:

Pros - The climate pleasant as it rarely gets too hot or cold, although the humidity makes it feel hotter than it really is. Nothing like Australia tho...The people are very polite and friendly. The economy is good as Charlotte is a major financial center and the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill triangle is a global tech hub. The cost of living is reasonable - certainly when compared to the northeast or west coast. You can own a nice house for what you would pay for a tiny studio apartment in Seattle. Lots of history with many towns that predate the revolution. Pretty hills in the western part of the state and nice beaches in the east. The pace of life is a little less fast paced than other parts of the country. Good air links to the UK with daily direct flights between London, Manchester, Charlotte,and Raleigh. Flight time is ~7 hours which makes a week long trip a doable proposition. If you are conservative then you will love the politics.

Cons - The Smokey Mountains and the beaches are a long way from the main cities. The rest of it is really bland. Just mono-culture forests, fields, sub-divisions, and sprawl with long commutes. If you are liberal you will hate the politics

Personally NC was a bit too dull for me but I can certainly see the appeal if you are looking for a place where your money will go further. Best of luck to you.
I've been here 17 years, and I think the above summary is very fair, especially re the weather in the central part of the state - say from Raleigh as far west as Hickory - winters are fairly inconsequential - sure it gets cold overnight sometimes, but there isn't much in the way of winter weather, and otherwise, there isn't much extreme weather - it's too far inland for hurricanes, tornadoes are rare, and usually of the pip-squeak variety, torrential rain doesn't create flooding (unless you live on the banks of a creek), and we can occasionally get 6"-10" (20-25cm) in 24hrs, after the remains of a hurricane comes through this area. We also don't get the mud slides that California gets, nor the wild fires (except rarely up in the moutains), and earthquakes are very rare - I think there has only been one felt here since I moved hear and that was about 10 years ago, and felt like a heavy truck being driven down the road past the office I was working in at the time.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 2nd 2020 at 3:17 am.