Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

U.S. Social Security Beneficiaries in England

U.S. Social Security Beneficiaries in England

Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:54 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
Default U.S. Social Security Beneficiaries in England

I ran across this SSA OIG audit report the other day and thought it might be of interest to someone.

Title II Beneficiaries in England:

http://www.ssa.gov/oig/ADOBEPDF/A-01-06-26131.pdf
Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:01 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S. Social Security Beneficiaries in England

Originally Posted by mdyoung
I ran across this SSA OIG audit report the other day and thought it might be of interest to someone.

Title II Beneficiaries in England:

http://www.ssa.gov/oig/ADOBEPDF/A-01-06-26131.pdf
During our visit to the address on SSA’s record for one beneficiary, we determined the beneficiary no longer lived there. We sent a letter to the address on SSA’s record for the beneficiary’s wife—which was a different address than the beneficiary’s. The beneficiary’s daughter replied to our letter and informed us the beneficiary died in January 2005 and his wife (who also received benefits) died in July 2006. These beneficiaries were overpaid $5,689 in benefits between February 2005 and September 2006. Additionally, if SSA had not terminated the benefits based upon our review, the Agency would have paid these individuals $8,052 in benefits over the next

I wonder who was getting the money ....
Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
During our visit to the address on SSA’s record for one beneficiary, we determined the beneficiary no longer lived there. We sent a letter to the address on SSA’s record for the beneficiary’s wife—which was a different address than the beneficiary’s. The beneficiary’s daughter replied to our letter and informed us the beneficiary died in January 2005 and his wife (who also received benefits) died in July 2006. These beneficiaries were overpaid $5,689 in benefits between February 2005 and September 2006. Additionally, if SSA had not terminated the benefits based upon our review, the Agency would have paid these individuals $8,052 in benefits over the next

I wonder who was getting the money ....
Chances are the daughter knows. LOL Not sure how much recourse SSA/U.S. government has on overpayments of people living outside the U.S. that are not U.S. citizens. Here they can snatch your tax refund, turn you over to a collect agency or in cases like this go after the estate.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Chances are the daughter knows. LOL Not sure how much recourse SSA/U.S. government has on overpayments of people living outside the U.S. that are not U.S. citizens. Here they can snatch your tax refund, turn you over to a collect agency or in cases like this go after the estate.
I would not be surprised if a lot dead people are still claiming benefit ..
both sides of the pond ...
Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:38 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
According to a report in the Observer the other week, once you reach a certain age they ask you periodically to prove that you're still alive...
Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
It is surely happening especially in countries like the Philippines. Less likely here, since SSA gets information from States and funeral homes have a form (SSA-721) they can submit to report a death.

It's almost as likely to have someone report you as dead when you aren't. If you are getting Social Security benefits and you want to report an address change, they will only except the report over the phone from the beneficiary or the Representative Payee if they have been assigned one. However, they will accept a death report from anyone. Of course they are supposed to be able to answer the right questions, but I'm sure an ex-wife or two have done it to get even. LOL
Old Jun 6th 2007, 1:48 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Almost makes you wish you were dead lol
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:43 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we should just add it to our answering machines Hello, this is Veronica, I am not here at the moment but AM still alive
Old Jun 6th 2007, 5:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Grandad used to get an allowance instead of Coal.

He got a form every year from the Coal Board.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:02 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

After reading his obituary in a newspaper, Mark Twain laughed off the erroneous report stating, "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated."
Old Jun 6th 2007, 2:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My friend was declared dead by her daughter. The daughter was pissed at the mom for going to live with another daughter after her stroke so the revengeful daughter who had power of attorney, took all the money out of her bank account and contacted SSA and reported mom had died and effectively cut off her income. Friend who could not walk or talk had to go INTO the SSA office personally to prove she was alive.

It is surely happening especially in countries like the Philippines. Less likely here, since SSA gets information from States and funeral homes have a form (SSA-721) they can submit to report a death.

It's almost as likely to have someone report you as dead when you aren't. If you are getting Social Security benefits and you want to report an address change, they will only except the report over the phone from the beneficiary or the Representative Payee if they have been assigned one. However, they will accept a death report from anyone. Of course they are supposed to be able to answer the right questions, but I'm sure an ex-wife or two have done it to get even. LOL
Old Jun 7th 2007, 1:33 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
My friend was declared dead by her daughter. The daughter was pissed at the mom for going to live with another daughter after her stroke so the revengeful daughter who had power of attorney, took all the money out of her bank account and contacted SSA and reported mom had died and effectively cut off her income. Friend who could not walk or talk had to go INTO the SSA office personally to prove she was alive.
"How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child."
Old Jun 7th 2007, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs
"How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child."
Bill Cosby quote, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out and make another one just like you!".
Old Jun 7th 2007, 1:55 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Bill Cosby quote, "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out and make another one just like you!".
what does he know - I have 3 and apart from the fact that they look kind of similar you wouldn't think they were in any way related...
Old Jun 7th 2007, 2:15 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

My sister and I do not look anything like each other and very different in personalities too! So there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.