Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

U.S Mobile Phone Problem

U.S Mobile Phone Problem

Old Dec 10th 2013, 8:49 am
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute
Default U.S Mobile Phone Problem

What does it mean when a pay as you go cellphone that keeps unused minutes active for 12 months suddenly switches itself on and says insert sim card? I put a small amount of money on the phone maybe 7 months ago to keep the number active for 12 months to late may 2014 just before we left. Three days ago the phone turned on by itself and said insert sim card.

That means the number is dead the credit must have ran out? There was at least 1 buck 20 cents left on it. I went the carphone warehouse and they didn't want to know. Go figure. The phone had also not been charged up since i returned home.

Last edited by customsquestion; Dec 10th 2013 at 9:31 am.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S Mobile Phone Problem

Originally Posted by customsquestion
What does it mean when a pay as you go cellphone that keeps unused minutes active for 12 months suddenly switches itself on and says insert sim card? I put a small amount of money on the phone maybe 7 months ago to keep the number active for 12 months to late may 2014 just before we left. Three days ago the phone turned on by itself and said insert sim card.

That means the number is dead the credit must have ran out? There was at least 1 buck 20 cents left on it. I went the carphone warehouse and they didn't want to know. Go figure. The phone had also not been charged up since i returned home.
It might well be a problem with the SIM card. My phone started saying "No SIM" yesterday morning. I took it out, eaned the contacts with an alcohol impregnated wipe and put it back in and it works again.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:20 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
It might well be a problem with the SIM card. My phone started saying "No SIM" yesterday morning. I took it out, eaned the contacts with an alcohol impregnated wipe and put it back in and it works again.
Thanks for that. I will give that a try. If it were to be that the phone number has died, could the same number be reactivated months down the line? Or would they give that number to a new customer and i would have to get a fresh number?. I have the phone for nyc but it's a boston number.

Last edited by customsquestion; Dec 10th 2013 at 3:27 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Chances are it'll be reissued and you'll get a new one. Those PAYG numbers are recycled at a rapid pace.

You can always request it and see what happens.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Chances are it'll be reissued and you'll get a new one. Those PAYG numbers are recycled at a rapid pace.

You can always request it and see what happens.
Thanks, i will see what happens I left the charger over there so I can't do anything with it anyway. I can have 10 bucks put on it that should hold it over for another year. Is there anyway to tell now if the number is currently active. Like online or something?
Old Dec 11th 2013, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Scoobydo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, i will see what happens I left the charger over there so I can't do anything with it anyway. I can have 10 bucks put on it that should hold it over for another year. Is there anyway to tell now if the number is currently active. Like online or something?

Hi which cellphone company are you using? Is it Tracfone?
As we have. Tracfones and we topped up before we left for our last visit.
We topped this up to loads of $$ to get up to 6 months. So that we could have same number and no hassle.
But this next visit not sure when we will be going, so we left our phones with friends to get a sim and credit on our next vacation, then we have no hassle in setting this up when we next go to USA.
Is there a more easier way?

$10 is cheap to hold for another year.

Thanks
Old Dec 11th 2013, 8:38 am
Banned

T Mobile I am a gold plus member or something like that. Unused minutes last a whole year. Should be good to may 2014. We will see what happens next time i get over there. My mate can probably top it up and ask find out if the number is still active.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Scoobydo is an unknown quantity at this point

T Mobile I am a gold plus member or something like that. Unused minutes last a whole year. Should be good to may 2014. We will see what happens next time i get over there. My mate can probably top it up and ask find out if the number is still active.
Thanks for that

I wish we'd bought T mobile now, Tracfones can work out more expensive when you need to do top up to keep your phone number.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Scoobydo
Thanks for that

I wish we'd bought T mobile now, Tracfones can work out more expensive when you need to do top up to keep your phone number.
I have to top mine up to keep it active. It isn't a contract it's pay as you talk. My mate wants me to go contract you get free aim messages and all that stuff. If I lived there i would but not for a visit or 2 year or whatever it ain't worth it
Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:36 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

If you're really concerned about keeping a number why not get a Google Voice number? It's free and it sticks with you no matter how many times you change phones all you have to do is point it at the number or numbers you want it to forward to.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scoobydo
Thanks for that

You can get a annual card that's $100 for a years service and includes a bunch of minutes....so it's no different to the other options really.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

If you are concerned about balance building up on a payg phone there is one thing to consider that can benefit everyone (except the phone company).

http://mobilegiving.org/

Send a few text messages to your favorite charity, the money goes to them rather than the phone company and at the end of the year you can claim the donations in your tax return (the website helps you print out a list of your donations).