Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

U.S Banks seem like sharks.

Wikiposts

U.S Banks seem like sharks.

Old Apr 18th 2005, 4:56 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.S Banks seem like sharks.

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Who the hell charges for debit transactions? Visa or whoever takes their cut out of the purchase price (except for cash withdrawals).
I assumed she was entering a PIN with an actual credit card rather than a debit card, and thus incurring a cash advance fee and all the crap that goes along with it.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 5:32 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amywen

He has to explain the US banking system to me a lot.
there is a system?
Old Apr 18th 2005, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
there is a system?
it's called the "wallet rape" system.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:20 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
there is a system?
How long have you lived here now?...

NC Penguin
Old Apr 19th 2005, 4:24 am
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

So which part of Suffolk are you a bumpkin from?
Old Apr 19th 2005, 2:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
.... in the USA they are self governed, .....
Utter crud! There are more regulators, supervisory agencies, and state and federal laws and regulations covering the US banking industry than you can shake a stick at. So much so that it wouldn't surprise me if banks could do better if they were allowed to actual use their efforts to run the banking business rather than forever seeking to ensure compliance with the miriad laws and regs.

As in the UK, if you have a problem, and are getting nowhere, first threaten the branch/ office/ manager with a letter of complaint to their "Compliance Officer"; and if you still get no joy, go ahead and complain to the "Compliance Officer" C/O the bank's head office. Making such a complaint will] get someones attention because (i) the Compliance department is responsible for ensure that all the rules and regs are applied, and (ii) when any of the regulatory agencies show up for a visit one thing they invariably do is ask for the file of complaints made to the Compliance Officer - and the Compliance department needs to be sure that all such complaints have been properly handled and settled.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:53 pm
small town DJ made it big

literaryclinic is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a wonderful experience with Bank of America in Beverly Hills, my Barclays account would not allow me access to my funds the day before my wedding because I typed in the wrong pin code three times (my fault); however, bank of America allowed me to open an account without a social security number and gave me money from my british account, not to mention waivering charges for a whole year. Needless to say my wife was very happy.