Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Longing for toad in the hole!

Longing for toad in the hole!

Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:42 am
~ Mr & Mrs ~

mvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant future
Default Longing for toad in the hole!

Ok guys, need your help. We just finished watching 'International Househunters' in London, and at the end of the show, the couple were making Toad in the Hole. I look over to hubby, and he's nearly got tears in his eyes, longing for his fave meal! Since we've moved over here, we've tried different sausages, but Mr J turns his nose up at them Does anyone know of a brand of sausage that would be comparable to Walls Bangers? We've got the usual big chain stores around us, so if you have any tried and true suggestions, we would certainly appreciate the help. Cheers!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:22 am
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Longing for toad in the hole!

Originally Posted by mvjenno
Ok guys, need your help. We just finished watching 'International Househunters' in London, and at the end of the show, the couple were making Toad in the Hole. I look over to hubby, and he's nearly got tears in his eyes, longing for his fave meal! Since we've moved over here, we've tried different sausages, but Mr J turns his nose up at them Does anyone know of a brand of sausage that would be comparable to Walls Bangers? We've got the usual big chain stores around us, so if you have any tried and true suggestions, we would certainly appreciate the help. Cheers!
What's Toad in the Hole?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Some jimmy deans aren't to bad...though to be honest, best bet would be to get some decent ones from a health/green store...There's one in town here that makes really good ones, but well expensive, for a couple bangers, was $5...so not to be done every day...
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebapotamus42
What's Toad in the Hole?
lovely
massive yorkie pud with bangers in it and baked, basically...
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:31 am
ImHere

I actually thought the thread name was going to be a euphemism until I realised I wasnt in TIO.

Sooo in answer we got some from CostCo - cant rememeber the brand - but they were ******* gorgeous, just like Wall's bangers! We had then with Heinz (English) baked beans and proper mashed spuds.......Mmmmmmmmm

Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

canny lass is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a WHOLE FOODS MARKET in your area they sell Irish Bangers, by far the best for Toad in the Hole. Cook them in boiling water for 15 mins, gets rid of the fat content, now they are ready to prepare. Nigella Lawsons' Yorkshire Pudding Recipe is the only one I have found that produces great Yorkshire's. Regards June
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:03 pm
~ Mr & Mrs ~

mvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
Some jimmy deans aren't to bad...though to be honest, best bet would be to get some decent ones from a health/green store...There's one in town here that makes really good ones, but well expensive, for a couple bangers, was $5...so not to be done every day...
Will look out for JDs - I like their maple sausages! Also found there's a Fresh Market in town - never been in it, but their website looks promising. If they're going for the same price, it will definitely be for special occasions!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:10 pm
~ Mr & Mrs ~

Originally Posted by ImHere
I actually thought the thread name was going to be a euphemism until I realised I wasnt in TIO.

Sooo in answer we got some from CostCo - cant rememeber the brand - but they were ******* gorgeous, just like Wall's bangers! We had then with Heinz (English) baked beans and proper mashed spuds.......Mmmmmmmmm
Ah, the one major store we don't have here! But there's one across the border in SC that doesn't look too far - will have to check it out. Do you have your own supply of Heinz beans, or did you find them over here? Closest we've found is Publix vegetarian beans!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:23 pm
~ Mr & Mrs ~

Originally Posted by canny lass
If you have a WHOLE FOODS MARKET in your area they sell Irish Bangers, by far the best for Toad in the Hole. Cook them in boiling water for 15 mins, gets rid of the fat content, now they are ready to prepare. Nigella Lawsons' Yorkshire Pudding Recipe is the only one I have found that produces great Yorkshire's. Regards June
Ohhh Irish bangers! The best!!! We'll have to make a special trip to Atlanta for those - thanks for the heads up! I use Delia's recipe, and usually get good results
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

you boil sausages??? Toad in the hole is so easy (but not so cheap here as in UK lol)- just fry or grill up the sausages, chuck in a dish and pour some yorkie batter over and bake. A pinch of Colmans English Mustard (dry) in the flour makes it a bit tastier.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

canny lass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Taffyles
you boil sausages??? Toad in the hole is so easy (but not so cheap here as in UK lol)- just fry or grill up the sausages, chuck in a dish and pour some yorkie batter over and bake. A pinch of Colmans English Mustard (dry) in the flour makes it a bit tastier.

You will be surprised how better they taste if you boil them first....try them on the BBQ they brown up lovely.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

You will be surprised how better they taste if you boil them first....try them on the BBQ they brown up lovely.
Okay.. I'll try anything once. They taste pretty damn good whichever way you cook em
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:57 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles
Have you not noticed how Americans cook their sausages (like British bangers) in liquid (sometimes beer) then finish them off on the grill/barbecue/broiler?

NC Penguin
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Have you not noticed how Americans cook their sausages (like British bangers) in liquid (sometimes beer) then finish them off on the grill/barbecue/broiler?
Aye, in beer with the onions, then use the wetstuff for base of gravy sauce and onion relish...

As for heinz baked beens, love 'em, but well expensive, so only for a special occasion when I found them...but they were good...haven't seen any veg beans around here to be honest except the veg maple B&M beans...which aren't the same, migth as well get the pig cooked stuff, which is nice, but certainly not the same
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
As for heinz baked beens, love 'em, but well expensive, so only for a special occasion when I found them
LOL, never thought I'd see the day when Heinz Baked Beans were a special occasion!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.