Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

U.K Electrician - What tests do i need to sit in the USA to be allowed to work?

U.K Electrician - What tests do i need to sit in the USA to be allowed to work?

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

50 cool 50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile U.K Electrician - What tests do i need to sit in the USA to be allowed to work?

What electrical refresher exams do i need to sit in the USA to be allowed to work? has anyone got any ideas or can you post links to a web site where i can find the information? has anyone else done this is it hard to do??

thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:11 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.K Electrician - What tests do i need to sit in the USA to be allowed to work?

Originally Posted by 50 cool 50
What electrical refresher exams do i need to sit in the USA to be allowed to work? has anyone got any ideas or can you post links to a web site where i can find the information? has anyone else done this is it hard to do??

thanks
My husband is a master electrician here in the States. I will ask him for some info.
We are hoping to return to the UK in the not too distant future. He's American. He will be looking for the same as you, but in reverse when we come over. What will he need to do there, any idea in regard to exams etc.
In case you don't know, there are electrician helpers, journeyman electricians and then master electricians here. Much more than that I have no idea, but whatever you want to know ask and I will ask hubby!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: U.K Electrician - What tests do i need to sit in the USA to be allowed to work?

It is a State thing, I know somene who is Registered in CA but not in CO, so he is not able to pull permits etc. Have a look on the State Board web site.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

50 cool 50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
My husband is a master electrician here in the States. I will ask him for some info.
We are hoping to return to the UK in the not too distant future. He's American. He will be looking for the same as you, but in reverse when we come over. What will he need to do there, any idea in regard to exams etc.
In case you don't know, there are electrician helpers, journeyman electricians and then master electricians here. Much more than that I have no idea, but whatever you want to know ask and I will ask hubby!
When he goes to the U.K he will need to sit Am1 and Am2 pratical, which only takes a couple of days and the 17th edition regulations class which takes a couple of weeks.. then also he will need to register with J.I.B. for electricans to be approved, then join the NIC so he can approve his own work. i think that will be it to take him up to sinc with U.K electrical regulations.

If you can get some information off him about my situation would be great. I am time served U.K electrician with distinction and i am qualified to inspect and test. Can you ask him how i would sinc my qualifications up with U.S.A. ones so i can install and work? thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome. which visa do you intend to come over on?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Hi and welcome. which visa do you intend to come over on?
Hi Lisa,

Here's his concurrent thread over in the marriage-based forum, to let you know what his plan is: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589000

Rene
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Lisa,

Here's his concurrent thread over in the marriage-based forum, to let you know what his plan is: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589000

Rene
Thanks Rene...thought I must be missing something!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
You have two questions here:

First you need to be employment authorized in order to work.

Second, you need the professional licensing and insurance for your profession.

Since your potential employment eligibility is up in the air at the moment and will be dealt with in your immigration thread, I'm moving this one to the USA Forum, although I highly recommend you look in the Working by Profession forum on this site.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:00 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

When he goes to the U.K he will need to sit Am1 and Am2 pratical, which only takes a couple of days and the 17th edition regulations class which takes a couple of weeks.. then also he will need to register with J.I.B. for electricans to be approved, then join the NIC so he can approve his own work. i think that will be it to take him up to sinc with U.K electrical regulations.

If you can get some information off him about my situation would be great. I am time served U.K electrician with distinction and i am qualified to inspect and test. Can you ask him how i would sinc my qualifications up with U.S.A. ones so i can install and work? thanks
Boiler is right too, you do have to have different licenses depending on which state you are working in to.
I must start listening to what my hubby talks about, then I might know more!