Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Types of Rent Advice

Types of Rent Advice

Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

pcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the rough
Default Types of Rent Advice

Hi,

I am looking to rent a house in NY and found the perfect place. But when I read the contract the landlord wanted me to sign it contains the words "Triple Net Lease" I have looked this up and it appears I would have to pay rent + taxes and other expenses.

For me I want to rent and its down to the landlord to pay taxes and repair the place if there is damage (I thought that was the point! :-)).

Anyway is this type of lease normal in the US? Or is this landlord trying something fast on me?

Any advice?

Thanks!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Types of Rent Advice

Originally Posted by pcuz
Anyway is this type of lease normal in the US?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_lea..._of_net_leases

You'll find this in larger cities! There are always more people wanting to rent than there are properties for rent - so the landlord can pretty much set whatever conditions he wants. If you don't like the terms, look elsewhere.

Ian
Old Apr 1st 2010, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I learned something new today. I've never heard of this type of lease before. Personally, unless we faced a high likelihood of homelessness, I would never sign such a lease. After we get our house sold, we plan on renting for quite awhile because we don't want to deal with the hassle of insurance and maintenance, so I can't see what advantage such a lease would have for someone.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:06 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_lea..._of_net_leases

You'll find this in larger cities! There are always more people wanting to rent than there are properties for rent - so the landlord can pretty much set whatever conditions he wants. If you don't like the terms, look elsewhere.

Ian
As noted in the link you post -- this is quite common indeed in commercial leases. Even so, the triple net does not absolve the landlord of payment of those expenses, it establishes a right to reimbursement.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

pcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
As noted in the link you post -- this is quite common indeed in commercial leases. Even so, the triple net does not absolve the landlord of payment of those expenses, it establishes a right to reimbursement.
So after going back to the landlord it seems this is a standard lease he uses for all his properties (including some commerical) so I am making him clearly state what he expects me to pay before I move forward.

It goes without saying that you need to read everything you get before your sign it!