Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Two Times!!!

Two Times!!!

Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two Times!!!

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Pronounciation ???
How about:
Craig = Creg
Caribbean = car-ribean
Guyana = Gwee-ana
Aaron = Erin
Or..... we're just not anal about how we pronounce things......
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:18 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

awright awright....

splain for me these two things:

1) the "h" in "ham" is normally dropped in place names like "Birmingham" which of course is pronounced quite differently on each side of the pond.

However, in some cases it's not dropped, notably in combination with "s" as in Amersham and Wiltsham. Is it because it forms a dipthong with the "s"?

2) the "e" in some "er" sounds is changed to "a" giving rise to Darbyshire, clark, Hartfordshire, and the like. However, it's not that way with all words; for example, your Auntie Gert is not called "Gart."

So.... is this some kind of British nationality test or are there rules as to the above?
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:19 pm

Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Desdemona
You forgot:

Aluminum
Nukiller = nuclear (solely patented to George W. Bush)

Now this could be just my area, but we have:

Creek = Crick
Roof = Ruff
Ohio = O hi ya
and I was just speaking to someone the other day he was telling me her husband is "retard" in that he no longer works due to his age. She also lights a "faar" in the grate.
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Or how about, we're just not anal about how we pronounce things......
But the above examples just don't make sense - its as if no-one has even bothered to look at the word they are pronouncing
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and could someone please explain to me the word "frickin" - is it meant to be a polite word for "f***in" or is it a yank version of friggin ???
It's a euphemism for the adjective *****ing. Of course, euphemism is on the endangered species list.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:20 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

is it meant to be a polite word for "f***in" or is it a yank version of friggin ???
The latter

I had to draw the line somewhere, and besides aluminium is understandable as its actually mis-spelt, not mis-pronounced.

Oh, and could someone please explain to me the word "frickin" - is it meant to be a polite word for "f***in" or is it a yank version of friggin ???

It's actually not such a nice word for "f**King" as I have embarrassingly found out.
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid
Now this could be just my area, but we have:

Creek = Crick
Roof = Ruff
Ohio = O hi ya
and I was just speaking to someone the other day he was telling me her husband is "retard" in that he no longer works due to his age. She also lights a "faar" in the grate.
Sounds like a very southern accent -- sure your neighbour didn't sneak across the river from Kentucky?
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

But the above examples just don't make sense - its as if no-one has even bothered to look at the word they are pronouncing

If it sounds good - go with it. Honestly, things are pronounced differently all over the US because of variations in accents. Same thing with the UK.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Sounds like a very southern accent -- sure your neighbour didn't sneak across the river from Kentucky?

Apparently, her dad was from Kentucky, but she was the only one of three sisters that picked up his accent. How the heck does that happen?? It's not like they lived apart.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:23 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Same thing with the UK.
If Coronation Street is anything to go by
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:24 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid
Apparently, her dad was from Kentucky, but she was the only one of three sisters that picked up his accent. How the heck does that happen?? It's not like they lived apart.
I don't know if I should enlighten you as to what goes on in Kentucky families.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:25 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

awright awright....

splain for me these two things:

1) the "h" in "ham" is normally dropped in place names like "Birmingham" which of course is pronounced quite differently on each side of the pond.

However, in some cases it's not dropped, notably in combination with "s" as in Amersham and Wiltsham. Is it because it forms a dipthong with the "s"?

2) the "e" in some "er" sounds is changed to "a" giving rise to Darbyshire, clark, Hartfordshire, and the like. However, it's not that way with all words; for example, your Auntie Gert is not called "Gart."

So.... is this some kind of British nationality test or are there rules as to the above?
The first one is due to how the syllables run into eachother. In my opinion its pronounced Briming-hm than Birming-am anyway.
I have no idea about the second one, only to suppose that the original Derby's in England who the place, the race and other stuff is named after were originally french - D'Arby and the spelling somehow changed, maybe in an effort to distance themselves from their french roots but the pronounciation didn't.
Can't even make a stab at hertfordshire though.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:28 pm

I don't know if I should enlighten you as to what goes on in Kentucky families.

I'm well aware believe me! Apparently, the police have actually given up doing DNA testing during investigations down there....it's the same DNA throughout the whole state.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:30 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Desdemona
The latter
I'm confused now - which one is it ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.