Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Two quick questions: Dual Cit baby & Travel

Two quick questions: Dual Cit baby & Travel

Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

PKinPA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two quick questions: Dual Cit baby & Travel

Hi guys. Haven't been in here for a while, but I just wanted to get your expert advice on a couple of things:

1) I am a UKC, now living in the US with USC wife (and one baby boy - we'll come to that later!) We've been married for nearly four years now, and my UK passport recently expired. I'm traveling back to England for my sister's wedding in June, and obviously need a passport, so my questions is, which one? I presume I have to get a UK passport, because I have not applied for US Citizenship. I was just looking at applying, and wondered about the different sized passport pictures (2" x 2" for US, 45mm x 35mm UK). I'm guessing that I apply for a UK passport, UK size passport pictures, US embassy?

2) I've been wondering this for a while. We have a baby boy, born January 3 2010 in the US. Mother is USC and Father is UKC, both living in the US. Does he get dual citizenship? And what does that actually mean for him in real terms? Can he work in the UK, live in the UK? (Obviously not 'til he's a little older!)

Thanks - I always appreciate the help I get in here!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:24 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two quick questions:

Originally Posted by PKinPA
1) I am a UKC, now living in the US with USC wife (and one baby boy - we'll come to that later!) We've been married for nearly four years now, and my UK passport recently expired. I'm traveling back to England for my sister's wedding in June, and obviously need a passport, so my questions is, which one? I presume I have to get a UK passport, because I have not applied for US Citizenship. I was just looking at applying, and wondered about the different sized passport pictures (2" x 2" for US, 45mm x 35mm UK). I'm guessing that I apply for a UK passport, UK size passport pictures, US embassy?
Not sure I understand your question about "which one" - you only have UK citizenship, so you need a UK passport. You would not get this through the US embassy, you'd have to contact UK representatives. I'm sure the UK website about passport renewals will have information.

2) I've been wondering this for a while. We have a baby boy, born January 3 2010 in the US. Mother is USC and Father is UKC, both living in the US. Does he get dual citizenship? And what does that actually mean for him in real terms? Can he work in the UK, live in the UK? (Obviously not 'til he's a little older!)
I believe he should be dual citizen, yes, but someone else can confirm. It would mean he can apply for US and UK passports, he needs to register for US selective service when he's 18, he needs to file US taxes ever year starting when he's 18 regardless of where he lives, and he'll be eligible to live and work in the US and in the EU (including, of course, the UK). He will need to use the US passport to leave and enter the US, and the UK one to leave and enter the UK.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two quick questions:

You may be eligible to apply to naturalize to US citizenship very soon; there is a waiver to allow the spouse of a USC to apply after 3 years of Permanent Residence (caveats apply).
However, this takes at least 6 months, so no time for you to complete that before you travel. Therefore, you travel as a UK citizen.

Take a look in the USA forum about the photos; there are many, many, many threads about renewing your passport while in the US (It will take a while, don't linger). You have to do this by mail.

Your child is very likely a dual citizen. It means he is both. He can live and work in either country. There are some things you should do to document his UK citizenship now, while it is simple. There are many threads on this too.

I'm just going to move your thread over to the USA forum, but please get started looking at what's already been posted and let us know if you find your answer.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two quick questions: Dual Cit baby & Travel

The child's birth place may clear that up very easily. If they have US and UK citizenship then they can do everything that a UK and US citizen can do, and the stuff that the government requires they do like file a US tax return every year for a US citizen. Just remember that one of the more important requirements of a US citizen is leaving and entering the US on a US passport. If your kid is a US citizen then you should get them a US passport pronto if you plan on leaving the country with them.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Guys, thanks. I appreciate your informed advice as always. I'll continue to look around the forum for info on the passport photo sizes etc. We have until June so hopefully this is long enough for me to get my UK passport sorted and mailed to me.

Thanks again - enjoy your weekends all.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to walgreens and make sure you tell them it's for a uk passport they can take your photo, put it into their computer where they have a list of different countries and then print it off according to the requirements
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
If you go to walgreens and make sure you tell them it's for a uk passport they can take your photo, put it into their computer where they have a list of different countries and then print it off according to the requirements
Oh, that's useful to know!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.epassportphoto.com/ and print it in Target.

Though if you're renewing your UK passport in the US, you're meant to use US passport sized photo and they crop them down to size themselves.

The baby is a US citizen and needs a US passport to travel.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 9:50 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.epassportphoto.com/ and print it in Target.

Though if you're renewing your UK passport in the US, you're meant to use US passport sized photo and they crop them down to size themselves.

The baby is a US citizen and needs a US passport to travel.
I printed them myself at home with no problem
Old Jan 29th 2011, 11:41 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, thanks. I appreciate your informed advice as always. I'll continue to look around the forum for info on the passport photo sizes etc. We have until June so hopefully this is long enough for me to get my UK passport sorted and mailed to me.

Thanks again - enjoy your weekends all.
I have a dual national brother-in-law. He needs a US passport when traveling to and from the US. He needs his UK passport to smooth his entry back into the UK.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I printed them myself at home with no problem
Do you mean you printed them US size, or UK size?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

For US purposes, US size... for UK purposes, UK size. That's what I did for my US & UK passports.

Ian
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

He gets US citizenship because he was born in the United States. Is he also a British citizen? You've left out an important piece of information - where were you born? And if you were not born in Britain, how did you get your British citizenship?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Post 8 answered this.