Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Twenty-Something planning to move to the UK from US

Twenty-Something planning to move to the UK from US

Old Aug 9th 2013, 7:52 am
Just Joined

concordancevr is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Twenty-Something planning to move to the UK from US

After a cursory look at the other threads, I thought this might be the most relevant place to post this-- If not, apologies!

Growing up with a British father, I had the immense pleasure of traveling with my family to England frequently between the age of ~4 up until now. Now, at the age of 25, having seen many different parts of Europe and lived in the Middle East for a period of time, I am even more enamored with the idea of living abroad outside of the US. For the longest time, England has been something of a "dream" home. I have yet to apply for a passport, but once I do, I hope to find a job in marketing, PR, or banking in England and relocate within the next year or so.

Does anyone have insight into reasonable expectations as far as living expenses and other things a person not raised in Britain should know about moving to England? Thank you, all!

Last edited by concordancevr; Aug 9th 2013 at 7:55 am.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Olza23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Twenty-Something planning to move to the UK from US

Hi! England, good choice!

In regards to living expenses it really does all depend on where you live, literally. Of course there are going to be expensive areas all over the country but it is much cheaper to buy/rent property the further north you go in the country. Likewise, the further south arguably the more expensive it is too.

Access to the capital demands a premium if you have good connections to motorways/train stations etc. What qualifications do you have? Obviously the level of your qualifications/experience will determine how much salary your skills should warrant.

Maybe best talking to your dad about where he was brought up?

Out of curiosity, can you have a dual citizenship passport? Would that affect your ability to work in the UK?

To summarize, England is expensive but there is money to be earnt if you have the right skills. Tax and National insurance is high but something you will have to get used to. Hope I helped!
Old Aug 9th 2013, 8:55 am
Just Joined

concordancevr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Olza23
Hi! England, good choice!

In regards to living expenses it really does all depend on where you live, literally. Of course there are going to be expensive areas all over the country but it is much cheaper to buy/rent property the further north you go in the country. Likewise, the further south arguably the more expensive it is too.

Access to the capital demands a premium if you have good connections to motorways/train stations etc. What qualifications do you have? Obviously the level of your qualifications/experience will determine how much salary your skills should warrant.

Out of curiosity, can you have a dual citizenship passport? Would that affect your ability to work in the UK?

To summarize, England is expensive but there is money to be earnt if you have the right skills. Tax and National insurance is high but something you will have to get used to. Hope I helped!
Hello!

As far as qualifications/background, I have a degree (bachelor's) from a top ranked university in the US and over 2 years working experience as an office manager in a legal office (1 year) and working in a finance department (1.5 years) at an NGO in Israel.

My dad's from Bristol, so I am definitely considering that part of the country as (aside from London) that's the area I've visited the most.

As far as dual-citizenship, I have not been made aware of any limitations on working in the UK, though I am sure I will need to look into taxes/other gov't enforced requirements for US citizens living abroad or anything.

My head is still spinning from all the research regarding applying for a British passport as someone "British by descent" and all that entails. But it's well worth it. Whew!

Thank you for your response, it was certainly helpful. I think the best bet for me is to first acquire the passport, then find a job and let the post determine where I look to live in the UK. I'm hoping to find something within range of 20-30k GBP/year to start! I'm not sure if that's too optimistic or not, but it seems it could be adequate for a single young woman with no dependents.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 9:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olza23

You have two passports, a US one and a UK one, no such thing as a dual citizenship passport. As the OP is a British citizen then he would be treated exactly the same as any other British Citizen.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:53 pm
PIT
Just Joined

PIT is an unknown quantity at this point

My 24 year old son is currently living and working in London under contract with an International Bank. He left University with a BSc in Pure Math and a minor in partical physics and was awarded a scholarship in UK for a MSc in Bio Mathematics. He was granted a visa in his US passport only to return home after completing his dissertation to apply for his UK passport. He sent in his application with his US passport, mine and my wife's birth certificates and our wedding certificate (issued in uk) attached and all were returned after a period of less than a week and his new UK passport was received within a few days after that.
The job he had within days of first arriving and the friends he made while in the UK put him up whilst he fixed up accommodation. He is currently renting at 1,300 pounds a month a two bed and two bath apartment in Kilburn NW6 which he shares with another ex student friend so it works out at 650 pounds each. They voluntarily put up 3 months rent in advance as my son didn't have a UK credit history although they did take into account his US history in the end. He went over early April this year and just loves it. He commutes every day on the Jubilee line with all the other blue suits.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:48 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by concordancevr
After a cursory look at the other threads, I thought this might be the most relevant place to post this-- If not, apologies!

Growing up with a British father, I had the immense pleasure of traveling with my family to England frequently between the age of ~4 up until now. Now, at the age of 25, having seen many different parts of Europe and lived in the Middle East for a period of time, I am even more enamored with the idea of living abroad outside of the US. For the longest time, England has been something of a "dream" home. I have yet to apply for a passport, but once I do, I hope to find a job in marketing, PR, or banking in England and relocate within the next year or so.

Does anyone have insight into reasonable expectations as far as living expenses and other things a person not raised in Britain should know about moving to England? Thank you, all!
You are far better place than many who consider moving to another country because of your dual citizenship. Get the UK passport and you will be all set to live and work anywhere in the EU.

However, moving to another country without a job to go to can be difficult. i suggest you do a lot of research, take advantage of any family you have in the UK to get housing and job leads and save as much as you can. If you have 6 months to a years worth of spending in the bank you won't be worried about running out of money after the first 3 months of fruitless job seraches.