Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

TV and Radio

TV and Radio

Old Apr 5th 2005, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

ArthurMoore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TV and Radio

We are thinking of getting a vacation home in Florida (Sarasota) to stay for a few months each year.
However, whenever I have been to the States I have found nothing but c**p on the TV. Are there any decent channels? In UK our favourite progs would be nature, history, science, one off plays or classics, Bremner Bird and Fortune.
Also what about classic music channels (or would we need to use the Internet?)
Thanks
Arthur
Old Apr 5th 2005, 2:54 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV and Radio

Originally Posted by ArthurMoore
We are thinking of getting a vacation home in Florida (Sarasota) to stay for a few months each year.
However, whenever I have been to the States I have found nothing but c**p on the TV. Are there any decent channels? In UK our favourite progs would be nature, history, science, one off plays or classics, Bremner Bird and Fortune.
Thanks
Arthur
For channels that you describe, you'd have to pay extra for them on satellite or cable. The service would be ongoing which means you'd have to pay for it even when you're not staying in FL.

I'm not even sure you'd be able to get any kind of TV service without paying for basic TV service. When I lived in an apartment (it was less than five years old), I had to pay just to get the basic channels (nine?).

NC Penguin
Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

bridgecross will become famous soon enoughbridgecross will become famous soon enough
Default Re: TV and Radio

Originally Posted by ArthurMoore
Thanks
Arthur
Yea, it is mostly garbage. The expensive route would be to get a satellite dish with a few hundred channels. But for just a few months, you should just get cable and limit your viewing to PBS (Public TV will have classical music from Lincoln Center, the excellent documentary shows Nova and Frontline, plenty of science, and the occasional British comedy), and watch the schedule carefully for the international news. Also, PBS has the News Hour, which is the only news show that doesn't SHOUT AT YOU!!! Otherwise you're stuck.

What I really hate is there are channels that sound watchable, like the "Discovery" channel, "Arts & Entertainment" or "History" channel. But they're all shite as well. The History channel is all military all the time, we call it the 'Hitler Channel' They have one show with a former marine barking about modern weapons systems. The Discovery channel, which started off with nature and travel shows, is now all shows about building cars and motorcycles, or blowing up stuff. A&E has reality shows about bounty hunters and John Gotti's kids. Mostly I just watch the Food Network now.

On the other hand, when in Florida, why watch TV at all?