Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

TV Deals & Packages - Help Required?

TV Deals & Packages - Help Required?

Old Aug 31st 2015, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

GeneGenie87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TV Deals & Packages - Help Required?

Hi,

I am moving over in a couple of weeks and already have my first place to stay.

However I am getting confused over cable packages, whose best, whose potentially costing me a lot for no return etc.

I know I am limited to cable (no dish attachments allowed), but I want something with a good range of channels and especially the sport (NFL and UK 'soccer').

Then others provide phone and internet.

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV Deals & Packages - Help Required?

Without paying for DirectTV and sunday ticket (intro offers sometimes include it for free for a year) or paying for NFL gamepass to watch online, you will be limited to local games on Fox/CBS, and MNF on ESPN.

MLS soccer is I believe on Fox Sports while NBC sports has English premier league.

If you don't want their phone service but want a "landline" consider ooma. You only pay local taxes after buying the box.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 7:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

In most places your choice of cable is Hobson's choice. You take what cable runs to your home, or you do without (if you're not allowed satellite). Sometimes AT&T runs a completing "U-verse" cable.

Which cable operator(s) has cable to your home?

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 31st 2015 at 8:37 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

GeneGenie87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very good question Pulaski - I'm not entirely sure as it's not something I thought to ask.

So is the US different in the fact that a company will be 'hard wired' into a place?
Old Aug 31st 2015, 8:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeneGenie87
Very good question Pulaski - I'm not entirely sure as it's not something I thought to ask.

So is the US different in the fact that a company will be 'hard wired' into a place?
Well the cable belongs to the company, and you can only buy the services/channels/ packages they offer.

The US is such a big country that most places don't have multiple cable operator to choose from. There are exceptions, with a small number of cities funding the installation of a municipal-owned fibre-optic cable system, and Google is installing fiber-optic systems in a few cities.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 8:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You get what you get and most offer a deal that'll run about $100 the first year as a triple package and then go up a ways there after.

Do you really need a landline? Do you really need cable? It's really not that good. Decent internet and then Netflix and the other digital services might be better value, that and a VPN/DNS service.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You get what you get and most offer a deal that'll run about $100 the first year as a triple package and then go up a ways there after.

Do you really need a landline? Do you really need cable? It's really not that good. Decent internet and then Netflix and the other digital services might be better value, that and a VPN/DNS service.
Bear in mind that the internet is mostly provided by the same cable providers so they have you by the short and curlies. Usually you can haggle to get it reduced by threatening to move to other available service, if there is one. In our area it AT&T or Suddenlink. Neither are great
Old Aug 31st 2015, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by jjmb
Bear in mind that the internet is mostly provided by the same cable providers ....
And indeed through the same cable.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 9:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
Bear in mind that the internet is mostly provided by the same cable providers so they have you by the short and curlies. Usually you can haggle to get it reduced by threatening to move to other available service, if there is one. In our area it AT&T or Suddenlink. Neither are great
Aye, it's a bit poo.

Where the folks live, it's a choice of dial up, shitty satellite, or shitty DSL...they're on the DSL and it's painful.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike the UK, ot depends where you live as to what's available. Apart from the big companies like Comcast, etc., there are many smaller cable companies, so good, some less so.

First thing to do is find out what your options are, if any. Where I live, for example, I have two choices - DirecTV or Dish Network (the two satellite providers). There are no cable providers and I'm too far away from a major city to get anything OTA (90 miles from Atlanta).

I also have just one option for internet (apart from dial-up or satellite, which are both last resorts) and that's telco. I'm limited to a maximum of 12Mb/s down and 768k up - hardly earth-shattering! However, just a mile down the road, there's an option for fiber at 50Mb up AND down for less money. I was quoted a minimum of $10,000 to run the fiber to my house (guess what my answer was?).

So, with all that said, where will you be located? If renting, contact the landlord and ask what options are available and then you can visit the websites and get a better idea.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 11:18 pm
Banned

gcjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob

totally agree just get a dn/vpn and a samsung tv which the region can be changed to get all the UK apps like iplayer etc

then just like being at home why you want to watch US tv ugh!!
Old Sep 1st 2015, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Cable TV is a total racket over here. It's ridiculous that certain cable companies seem to have monopolies in certain areas. However, whatever the cost, I could never give it up. I'm with U-Verse. Every year, we phone up and threaten to leave, and every year, they give us a deal to stay for another year, so I'm pretty happy with them. I'm hoping as they now own Direct TV, they'll bring Sunday ticket to U-Verse.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Cable TV is a total racket over here. It's ridiculous that certain cable companies seem to have monopolies in certain areas. However, whatever the cost, I could never give it up. I'm with U-Verse. Every year, we phone up and threaten to leave, and every year, they give us a deal to stay for another year, so I'm pretty happy with them. I'm hoping as they now own Direct TV, they'll bring Sunday ticket to U-Verse.
I doubt it'll happen as it's a DirecTV exclusive deal negotiated well before the merger.