Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

TURNER - fantastic exhibition in NYC!!

TURNER - fantastic exhibition in NYC!!

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:54 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation TURNER - fantastic exhibition in NYC!!

Until September 21:

http://www.metmuseum.org/special/jmw_turner/more.asp

If you find yourself anywhere near NYC before then, you MUST go!. The Metropolitan has well over a hundred paintings and watercolours in this once-in-a-lifetime exhibition, many from the Tate and including some of his absolutely best work from all the major US galleries and some from Europe.

http://www.metmuseum.org/special/jmw_turner/images.asp

I think Turner is not only the best English painter, but the best painter, ever. The colours, the athmospheres evoked, the composition of the pictures, the technical brilliance....... utterly and completely amazing.

Just look at some of his paintings of Venice:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Compare his interpretation of Venice with some of Canaletto's and Guardi's, and you'll see what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails TURNER - fantastic exhibition in NYC!!-turner-venice2.jpg   TURNER - fantastic exhibition in NYC!!-pic1.jpg   TURNER - fantastic exhibition in NYC!!-v-guardi-smarco.jpg  
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 4:02 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TURNER - fantastic exhibition in NYC!!

sounds (and looks) good.

There's a nice small art museum out over the west side of Cleveland in Oberlin which has a Turner on display

End of this month see's a new exhibit (Out of Albion: British Art from the Allen Memorial Art Museum) go in place of th Warhol temporary one they've had there the last few months (it wasn't that great).

Last edited by Paul S; Aug 22nd 2008 at 5:35 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 4:14 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Surely far superior? look at how the light reflects of the dome of his bonce.

Last edited by Kali-forniarrr; Aug 22nd 2008 at 4:16 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad, no rain, steam and speed, his best painting, imo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:R...rn_Railway.jpg
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:50 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Too bad, no rain, steam and speed, his best painting, imo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:R...rn_Railway.jpg
Love it Always one of my first ports of call when I'm back home.

But I really found the Venice paintings a revelation... I don't think many, if any, of them are in London. Also some wonderful pictures of Yorkshire, Wales, Scotland, as well as Switzerland and Germany.

The exhibition also includes the Houses of Parliament on Fire (usually in Philly), with all the watercolour sketches he did when he was watching them burn.

Plus there are literally dozens of exquisite watercolours in the exhibition. Many of them are not much bigger than postcards, but they'll just blow your mind away!
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agreed, if you are in NY, go and see it. I saw it when it was in Dallas and was totally blown away by it. Its not as if I was new his paintings, as the Tate gallery was my local stop shop on the way home from school but my own maturity puts a completely new light on his work.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Yes he painted a few amazing pictures but I thought there was a lot of mediocre stuff in that exhibition too.

Only 3 or 4 really moved me. Worth seeing though.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 2:26 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

went to see this exhibition today - great stuff. I hadn't realised Turner was derided by most critics of the time. My daughter (3 next week) would probably agree with them, since she produced loud laughter from all the otherwise hushed visitors by loudly proclaiming "I'm ready to get out of here!" about half way round.

My faves from the exhibition:
Attached Thumbnails TURNER - fantastic exhibition in NYC!!-staffa.jpg   TURNER - fantastic exhibition in NYC!!-norham-castle.jpg   TURNER - fantastic exhibition in NYC!!-peace.jpg  
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:12 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I discovered Turner in college and have loved him ever since.