Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

TSA - Time to Stop Aviating?

TSA - Time to Stop Aviating?

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TSA - Time to Stop Aviating?

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Your post makes no sense. What does "losing ones[sic] 'Ego'" mean?

Blown to smithereens? The TSA hasn't stopped one terrorist.
I think you know what he means, whether you agree or not. He is using 'ego' in the same way you are using the term 'degraded'. I think you got that. Using your terms, '...which would you prefer, being degraded or being blown to smithereens...'.

To say "the TSA hasn't stopped one terrorist" is not logical. That's like saying a home alarm system hasn't stopped one thief. You cannot quantify a deterrent.

Argue the point logically ... .

Again, I think airport security is a big sham but I don't see these body-scanners as being a problem at all - doesn't bother my ego and I don't feel degraded. Were you equally outraged and vocal in your protests against the Bush-approved wiretaps that violated our constitutional rights? I see this current TSA frenzy as more of a rallying cry for conservatives to bash the current government.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 4:50 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
To say "the TSA hasn't stopped one terrorist" is not logical. That's like saying a home alarm system hasn't stopped one thief. You cannot quantify a deterrent.

Then, by your own argument, it's equally as likely that all the claims of TSA effectiveness are bogus and, in fact, the TSA is as much use as my magic rock that protects me from dinosaur attacks. After all, I've never been attacked by a dinosaur.

Thing is, my magic rock is a lot less degrading and a whole hell of a lot less expensive...
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Then, by your own argument, it's equally as likely that all the claims of TSA effectiveness are bogus and, in fact, the TSA is as much use as my magic rock that protects me from dinosaur attacks. After all, I've never been attacked by a dinosaur.

Thing is, my magic rock is a lot less degrading and a whole hell of a lot less expensive...
Any joy getting your rock past TSA?

Just wondering if they might be too busy getting their rocks on.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 5:24 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

its the mighty dollar which is the only thing which will have an impact on the TSA's procedures... and its really only the likes of the airline industry which can put enough pressure on the TSA to change their ways. Its the vicious circle of thing... if airlines start to examine that they are losing money due to the introduction of the TSA's procedures, then that's the only real way for (TSA) to amend their methods!

Death vs Injury... its cheaper for an airline, by means of a payout, for someone to die than to pay for injuries over the course of their lifetime.

Safety & Security is merely perception... it just makes us feel warm and fuzzy inside. We're all dead in the long run - we just have a fear about the method of how we're going to die!!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 5:30 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Any joy getting your rock past TSA?

Just wondering if they might be too busy getting their rocks on.
Off, old chap - you mean off.

I've been lucky, but a friend got a nasty scratch from a velociraptor when Team Sexual Assualt confiscated his rock at SAN.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 5:37 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I think you know what he means, whether you agree or not. He is using 'ego' in the same way you are using the term 'degraded'. I think you got that. Using your terms, '...which would you prefer, being degraded or being blown to smithereens...'.

Again, I think airport security is a big sham but I don't see these body-scanners as being a problem at all - doesn't bother my ego and I don't feel degraded. Were you equally outraged and vocal in your protests against the Bush-approved wiretaps that violated our constitutional rights? I see this current TSA frenzy as more of a rallying cry for conservatives to bash the current government.
Yes, steerpike, I was against that. I was against the entire Patriot Act.
I am consistent on this.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this is readable it arrived in my email this morning and gave me a giggle
Attached Thumbnails TSA - Time to Stop Aviating?-att00001.gif  
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 11:59 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

I sorta wish that they introduced this pat-down malarkey last month... BEFORE Halloween because I would have dressed up as a TSA agent so that I could feel up pretty women at the bars... Ah well, there is always next year....
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:12 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The OH says that at Schipol, if you fail the metal detector, you automatically get a pat down. It would be nice if one got the choice of a male or female petter, but men do men, and women do women.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
It would be nice if one got the choice of a male or female petter, but men do men, and women do women.
Part of don't ask, don't tell.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9

Death vs Injury... its cheaper for an airline, by means of a payout, for someone to die than to pay for injuries over the course of their lifetime.

You are overlooking the fact that families of the dead can, and do, sue over here ...
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
Hope this is readable it arrived in my email this morning and gave me a giggle
That is VERY funny !

I just flew out of SFO today. Was hoping for a trip through the big ego-sucker / de-dignifier / "Post My Nuts On YouTube" machine, or at least get a free feel-up as a consolation, but only got to walk through the boring old metal detector. I'm obviously not cute enough. There were no wailing children, or men threatening mayhem. Quite boring.

Meanwhile, elsewhere on planet earth, the Four Thousand, Four Hundred and Twenty Ninth US solder was killed today in Iraq. That would be the 4,429th unnecessary death since our wonderful Government declared war on Iraq in the false pursuit of Weapons of Mass Destruction - another Government exercise carried out in the name of protecting us from terrorism. Let me think - which of these items bothers me more ... 4429 pointless deaths or a machine that presents a gray, grainy picture of my nuts to a guy in a booth somewhere ... (did I mention the 50,000 Iraqi civilian deaths ...?). If you want to get mad at the Government, maybe we should start with foreign policy ...
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:13 am
Boomshacalaca!!

You are overlooking the fact that families of the dead can, and do, sue over here ...
I hadn't... the payout goes to someone - survivors or the families. Indeed families often do sue; eg Lockerbie families suing the Libyan gov't. If they do sue, they typically waive the right to the original payout and may actually get less or nothing... or if they're lucky get more. (A lawsuit is basically a counterproposal to settle the claim; they originally ponied up $0 so family sues for $x).

You also raise an interesting point too about if there is an another attack (foiled or otherwise)... will the TSA get sued for not preventing it?? Perhaps. They'll get alot of slack.

Its scary just how little you, me, person next to you's life is deemed in an interpreted monetary value by insurance companies etc. We're just cattle and collateral damage and risk assessment. Economic loss and value of human life have been extensively pre-determined and calculated by the likes of actuaries and other bean counters... a Laborghini Murcielago or an AC Cobra or even your house could probably be worth more than your life in comparison. Yet an immediate survivor (not a secondary survivor) is way more expensive... a base amount, plus medical expenses, loss of earning potential of remaining economic lifespan based on what you do and your lifestyle... long time care if applicable etc etc etc. Obviously 250k for a dead person is cheaper than millions for a survivor. Caveat is that this is often final settlement, including by family.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:16 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The OH says that at Schipol, if you fail the metal detector, you automatically get a pat down. It would be nice if one got the choice of a male or female petter, but men do men, and women do women.
Isn't that the way it always was pretty much everywhere (until they brought in the ridiculous new scanners)? How they do the pat down is another thing - I haven't heard of any other countries doing the new US-type "rub the genitals" thing yet.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:20 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

That is VERY funny !

I just flew out of SFO today. Was hoping for a trip through the big ego-sucker / de-dignifier / "Post My Nuts On YouTube" machine, or at least get a free feel-up as a consolation, but only got to walk through the boring old metal detector. I'm obviously not cute enough. There were no wailing children, or men threatening mayhem. Quite boring.

Meanwhile, elsewhere on planet earth, the Four Thousand, Four Hundred and Twenty Ninth US solder was killed today in Iraq. That would be the 4,429th unnecessary death since our wonderful Government declared war on Iraq in the false pursuit of Weapons of Mass Destruction - another Government exercise carried out in the name of protecting us from terrorism. Let me think - which of these items bothers me more ... 4429 pointless deaths or a machine that presents a gray, grainy picture of my nuts to a guy in a booth somewhere ... (did I mention the 50,000 Iraqi civilian deaths ...?). If you want to get mad at the Government, maybe we should start with foreign policy ...
Yes - everything is small when you find something bigger to stick it next to. By that standard we'd never fix anything though would we?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:26 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Originally Posted by tonrob
I haven't heard of any other countries doing the new US-type "rub the genitals" thing yet.
... they're either not as paranoid as we are or they haven't pissed off various people in the world. Rub the genitals and make a wish!!

Nobody suspects the American Inquisition....

If guys just wear a thong, I don't think they'll have such the issue... just blame the thong!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.