Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Trying to be excited about going to baseball game.

Trying to be excited about going to baseball game.

Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trying to be excited about going to baseball game.

My OH has gotten tickets to go to a Charleston Riverdogs baseball game this weekend. His company have a box or something there and a bunch of people go to the games. My OH is 30 (again for the 5th time) this week and baseball is pretty much the only sport he can stand to watch so he wants us all to go for his birthday. I find it deadly dull. It is just like glorified rounders. Perhaps this is because the only games I have been to are high school games when I was a student in Michigan.

Being the good wife that I am, well at times anyway, I am trying to feign excitement about going to the game. Unfortunately I am not that good an actress. The only thing that is making me even remotely interested is the thought that I might possibly see Bill Murray because he part owns the team and has a house in Sullivan's Island which is not too far from me.

I wonder if they will sell booze at the baseball game. I'll need it.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:59 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to be excited about going to baseball game.

Originally Posted by SarahG
My OH has gotten tickets to go to a Charleston Riverdogs baseball game this weekend. His company have a box or something there and a bunch of people go to the games. My OH is 30 (again for the 5th time) this week and baseball is pretty much the only sport he can stand to watch so he wants us all to go for his birthday. I find it deadly dull. It is just like glorified rounders. Perhaps this is because the only games I have been to are high school games when I was a student in Michigan.

Being the good wife that I am, well at times anyway, I am trying to feign excitement about going to the game. Unfortunately I am not that good an actress. The only thing that is making me even remotely interested is the thought that I might possibly see Bill Murray because he part owns the team and has a house in Sullivan's Island which is not too far from me.

I'd give up if I were you - your husband is obviously the exception to the rule, that nobody British could possibly get excited about baseball.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:06 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

There wilI almost certainly be beer, whether it will be drinkable beer is the question. I like the MLB games, and I am told that minor leagues are a lot of fun, although I think people were talking about AAA leagues, not sure about an A league team.

The good thing about baseball for those that have no interest in the game, is the opportunity to eat, drink and socialize, I would imagine that to be doubly so if you are in a box.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:19 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
I'd give up if I were you - your husband is obviously the exception to the rule, that nobody British could possibly get excited about baseball.
Who says, Milwaukie City Council with me in tow is working to raise $25 million to build a baseball park in town so we can have a North West League single A team.

Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh I feel for you

I went to my first game with the kids last weekend and its was soooooooo boring. We left after 2 hours and the game went on for 4 hours

From what I could tell most people there wern't even watching it, it appeared that most people spent their time eating and drinking, on phones or even on Ipads.

I sure it won't be that bad if you have people to chat to as well, maybe take a book for when you get really bored
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

My husband doesn't like watching sports much, and has no idea what is going on in football games (soccer or American) but I make him watch international football games (me being a Scotland fan and fully expecting to never be cheering on the winning team) and I've watched the Super Bowl each year since we have been in the US so I suppose it is only far I go and fall asleep at a baseball game.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:32 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Who says, Milwaukie City Council with me in tow is working to raise $25 million to build a baseball park in town so we can have a North West League single A team.

You must have a very high boredom threshhold.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:35 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Why has greater Portland dumped a baseball stadium to get a poor below-demand capacity soccer stadium and still in need of a baseball stadium. It makes no sense to me.
(Piggie park feels dangerous, not enough of a concourse and too much wood, a Bradford waiting to happen)

Last edited by kimilseung; Apr 30th 2012 at 6:37 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:37 pm
Life goes on.

My husband doesn't like watching sports much, and has no idea what is going on in football games (soccer or American) but I make him watch international football games (me being a Scotland fan and fully expecting to never be cheering on the winning team) and I've watched the Super Bowl each year since we have been in the US so I suppose it is only far I go and fall asleep at a baseball game.
Are divorce proceedings underway?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I actually enjoy baseball!

I guess I was 'lucky' enough to get caught up in Braves fever when I got here in 1998 and went to a few games with friends, family or other groups, so it was a social event too.

We even go to AAA Gwinnett Braves games occasionally, which is closer to us and smaller, so getting there and back is easier and, with the Kraft 2-for-1 offer, cheap entertainment.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

You must have a very high boredom threshhold.
they offered me the beer concession
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are divorce proceedings underway?
That would probably make my dad happy as he was slightly miffed when I said I was marrying an Englishman who didn't like football!
It gives me something to take the piss out of him for though so it can be fun during the World Cup & Euro games. (Lets not mention Scotlands qualifying record though)
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Why has greater Portland dumped a baseball stadium to get a poor below-demand capacity soccer stadium and still in need of a baseball stadium. It makes no sense to me.
(Piggie park feels dangerous, not enough of a concourse and too much wood, a Bradford waiting to happen)
Portland Beavers triple A baseball average attendance 5000

Portland Timber MLS average attendance around 19000, but could be 22000 if they open up more seats. For some reason they choose not to use all the seating.

The MLS would does not allow a MLS stadium to be sued for another professional sport, so the guy who owned both the Beaver and Timbers claimed.

A smaller baseball stadium could make money, our research suggests the team would make $900k profit a year in Milwaukie. The Beavers lost money playing in a stadium which was much to big and costly to run.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

They do. You'll probably have a good time - the game is so slow that there's plenty of opportunity to chat and socialize ....
Old Apr 30th 2012, 7:09 pm
He/him

Portland Beavers triple A baseball average attendance 5000

Portland Timber MLS average attendance around 19000, but could be 22000 if they open up more seats. For some reason they choose not to use all the seating.

The MLS would does not allow a MLS stadium to be sued for another professional sport, so the guy who owned both the Beaver and Timbers claimed.

A smaller baseball stadium could make money, our research suggests the team would make $900k profit a year in Milwaukie. The Beavers lost money playing in a stadium which was much to big and costly to run.
Thanks for the reply, I did not know the Beavers had such a financial problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.