Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Trump Tweets Immigration into the US will be suspended.

Trump Tweets Immigration into the US will be suspended.

Old Apr 21st 2020, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trump Tweets Immigration into the US will be suspended.

It all adds up to more votes from the MAGA sheeple!

Orange. Man. Bad.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So this forms part of the wider anti lockdown protests. Odd bedfellows.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 2:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
So this forms part of the wider anti lockdown protests. Odd bedfellows.
Not really sure what your on about with this one. So-called “anti-lockdown protests” are just standard rent-a-crowd, no?
Old Apr 21st 2020, 3:02 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Fox was reporting some exemptions, such as emergency workers and student visas, but I haven't seen the official press release yet.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My State is still under a Stay at Home order, seems like there will be a relaxation coming up, my impression was that most on BE supported Stay at Home.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
He is surely planning to revoke/cancel all the H1B and L E2 Australian visas for instance and give those jobs to americans. A stance which will free up given that they say it is 6 years h1b to a green card with 65k visas per year so about 400k jobs on the H1B issue alone.

And fwiw my son knows people who scammed the h1b and got jobs as soccer bar manager and pet store manager in new york even managing to get the green card out through fudging the job checking thing they do they basically said you had to be english to manage an english soccer bar. So maybe the H1B does need to tightened up on certain respects.

Trump is giving people something to vote on.
So we're going to fill 400K jobs with bartenders and servers and F/As, who I guess right now are off to do highly abridged STEM degrees (4 years in say 2-3 months).
Old Apr 21st 2020, 3:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
my impression was that most on BE supported Stay at Home.
I see.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

stuwoolf is an unknown quantity at this point

In fairness, with an apparently out of control epidemic, it probably makes sense to stop people coming in to the country. Same would apply to UK. It looks like, in both cases, that boat has well and truely sailed.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

We've had to postpone our wedding in Scotland, which was due to take place this July, to next year. My L-1B is due to expire end of the year (still have two year subject to extension), and my employer has told me that our immigration attorney PWC aren't taking calls with employees on visas as they are "busy assessing the situation".

'Anxious' does not even begin to describe how we're feeling right now...
Old Apr 21st 2020, 4:33 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
So we're going to fill 400K jobs with bartenders and servers and F/As, who I guess right now are off to do highly abridged STEM degrees (4 years in say 2-3 months).
Won't many of those H1B visa applications come from graduating foreign students?. Taking that number however many it may be out of the mix does increase the chances of american graduates getting jobs after all this?. After all they are entering the worst job market in history right now. I am sure more americans will get jobs as a result of this than would of if nothing was done.

I can see the argument for doing it. He has to try and recover the job numbers not just what has been lost but also boost the job market for graduating students aka first or second time voters seeking employment. He is worried about the possibility of Biden asking Michelle Obama to be his VP. A move which would given Biden a fighting chance I think. He is thinking about the election because all his gains have been wiped out in 5 weeks.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 4:35 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petepete99
We've had to postpone our wedding in Scotland, which was due to take place this July, to next year. My L-1B is due to expire end of the year (still have two year subject to extension), and my employer has told me that our immigration attorney PWC aren't taking calls with employees on visas as they are "busy assessing the situation".

'Anxious' does not even begin to describe how we're feeling right now...

But unlike others, you do have a rather simple solution -- you are engaged to be married, and can do just that immediately and plan a celebration for later.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 4:53 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
You can believe what you want, but none of us here have had any sight of the PERM application or knowledge of how the job description was physically worded.

I can actually see how an in-depth knowledge of British culture and of British football could be a genuine requirement to manage a British soccer bar, but those are also the sort of applications that tend to get heavily scrutinized since cultural requirements can easily be abused to unlawfully exclude qualified US workers.

However without seeing the job description or the justification used to disqualify any US workers, it's impossible to say with any certainty.
I am just surprised this guy got the green card for an soccer bar/irish bar manager on an EB3 from H1B. That is a job than any tom dick or harry could do for me and I don't think you need a degree for it.

I am treasurer/volunteer bar staff at working mans snooker/bowling club. Do I need a degree to do the books and give them to the accountants once a year and present that finding to the members at AGM and serve behind the bar twice and week and take the money to the bank? And I have met americans who know more about soccer than people at home who support english teams and know more them and football than some people in that club do. The americans yelling shoot the ball man does wear you a bit thin after 10 minutes.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 5:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell
I am just surprised this guy got the green card for an soccer bar/irish bar manager on an EB3 from H1B. That is a job than any tom dick or harry could do for me and I don't think you need a degree for it
There's no requirement for a degree for a green card via EB-3. https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...reference-eb-3
Old Apr 21st 2020, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

capin is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a bit concerning.

I'm here on an L1B (since 09/2015) and wife on L2, I am a systems engineer at one of the big tech firms.

PERM is complete, I-140 approved, I485 filed on Feb 28th and we received our EAD/Advanced parole cards today. Biometrics was cancelled due to COVID.

L1B PED is mid next month and the lawyers have submitted a request for recapture of time spent outside the USA which will take me to April 2021 although I am bracing us for an RFE. I believe we can stay in the USA under AOS provisions but it's getting a little antsy.

I wouldn't mind going back to the UK, I'm getting a bit bored with dealing with all this stuff.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 5:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There's no requirement for a degree for a green card via EB-3. https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...reference-eb-3
There is for a H1B and he was H1B first he was working for the bar whilst green card was processed he didn't get the green card out of the gate. That takes years doesn't it? I thought the purpose of the H1B was so you work for the company whilst they sponsor you for green card as you are on the H1B and it can be extended to ensure legal status. It is hard to imagine an employer going the green card only route which takes years doesn't it?

I am assuming the green card EB3 was granted over the professionals workers section. "You must demonstrate that you possess a U.S. baccalaureate or foreign equivalent degree, and that a baccalaureate degree is the normal requirement for entry into the occupation".

Last edited by andyrebell; Apr 21st 2020 at 5:38 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.