Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A true American or just a Brit abroad?

A true American or just a Brit abroad?

Old Aug 29th 2003, 1:10 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
so am I alone in struggling with cultural and social differences, that's what I mean, even after five years?

Actually I think they become more acute after time, in the beginning it's a novelty, I remember being so impressed by electric garage doors on every house!
I know exactly what you mean. I've been here a long,long time, and feel cultural differences perhaps more acutely. I think it's because I realise that what has not changed by now is probably not going to change (part of my factory settings). And it's definitely not a novelty any more!
Old Aug 29th 2003, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

AlbaTivo is an unknown quantity at this point

When we go back over to the UK I do not find myself thinking that the cars are all too small or that there are no garage door openers, etc. It is as if a switch is thrown somewhere over the Atlantic and I change into UK or USA mode.

I must be speaking a bit slower these days as I am not asked to repeat things as often, although I still have not tried a drive-thru fast food place since failing miserably twice 3 years ago I think that a big part of being understood over here is using the correct words, even with an accent, e.g. trash v rubbish, trunk v boot, etc.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by AlbaTivo
When we go back over to the UK I do not find myself thinking that the cars are all too small or that there are no garage door openers, etc. It is as if a switch is thrown somewhere over the Atlantic and I change into UK or USA mode.

I must be speaking a bit slower these days as I am not asked to repeat things as often, although I still have not tried a drive-thru fast food place since failing miserably twice 3 years ago I think that a big part of being understood over here is using the correct words, even with an accent, e.g. trash v rubbish, trunk v boot, etc.

The funny thing is you can use the most appalling drawl and it will be understood perfectly (try it sometime), but a touch of english accent and you are not understood.

If you go to some of these Southern places like Texas or Alabama, you can use the most "Yank" accent you can come up with and with it comes your new attitude.

Last edited by jaytee; Aug 29th 2003 at 10:54 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

This may sound strange, but part of settling in here, is when you watch American TV and you no longer realise that you're listening to an American accent, or you just dont think of hearing that accent as being odd or unusual. I've been told by my fiance, that I speak differently when I talk to her family compared to how I speak to my own on the phone. I'm told, I break right back into Englishman mode. I've also been told that I talk to fast and thats why sometimes people do not catch what I have just said. I must admit though, that I have already replaced petrol with gas and trash for rubbish. But my future step daughter always chuckles when I call it a trolley instead of a kart at the grocery store...I mean supermarket
Old Aug 30th 2003, 12:05 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

I have diluted my accent down to as far as I can go. My accent tends to come out more when I've worked a long shift and i'm getting tired and can't be arsed trying to hide it.

I find it funny when someone you have been in contact with on a regular basis (work for example) for about 4 months suddenly realises you have an accent. I have no clue why this happens
Old Aug 31st 2003, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
so am I alone in struggling with cultural and social differences, that's what I mean, even after five years?

Actually I think they become more acute after time, in the beginning it's a novelty, I remember being so impressed by electric garage doors on every house!

No you're not alone. I still struggle with it after nearly 12 years...and have come to accept that I probably always will- I don't let it bother me too much these days, but the dissonance is still there- I'm just more comfortable with it now. I wanted to integrate NOT immerse in American society- being British is part of who I am- can't change that without changing my identity.
I think most people find their own level of comfort with this issue- those who stay anyway- there's no shoulds or oughts- its an individual thing. However I find the ones who are content here are those who maintain a strong link with their roots.
Old Aug 31st 2003, 8:43 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jaytee
The funny thing is you can use the most appalling drawl and it will be understood perfectly (try it sometime), but a touch of english accent and you are not understood.

If you go to some of these Southern places like Texas or Alabama, you can use the most "Yank" accent you can come up with and with it comes your new attitude.

I felt like Nell!
Old Sep 1st 2003, 12:32 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Pimpbot
This may sound strange, but part of settling in here, is when you watch American TV and you no longer realise that you're listening to an American accent, or you just dont think of hearing that accent as being odd or unusual. I've been told by my fiance, that I speak differently when I talk to her family compared to how I speak to my own on the phone. I'm told, I break right back into Englishman mode. I've also been told that I talk to fast and thats why sometimes people do not catch what I have just said.
I get that now; I've noticed that to me, American accents are transparent; I don't notice them at all, but English accents stand out like a sore thumb and almost sound weird to hear now.

My mom (nee mam) can barely understand me sometimes when I talk to her on the phone, as my english accent has flattened a bit. When I get nervous, anxious or stressed, I break out into full on RP English enunciation though, which makes it worse for the average NY'er to understand me I still talk too fast for most to understand me, and I then break down into full on "tourist mode": Wh-ere iii-z thee nee-arrest subway stay-shun? - or, like last thurday - In-Terr-view. 4Pee Emm.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 12:29 pm
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tony_2003
My accent tends to come out more when I've worked a long shift and i'm getting tired and can't be arsed trying to hide it.
I have no intention of trying to hide my accent, and still insist on speaking in a british style - when it does not stop me being understood (garage v "gararge").

I like being a little different in that way, and it certainly works with the ladies

Seriously though, just because most Americans think that nothing is different, just wrong, isn't a reason to change in my book. If it happens then it happens, if not fine. I suspect that when I have been here a bit longer, I'll sound like a Yank to the Brits and a Brit to the Yanks.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 1:12 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by JerseyBoy
Seriously though, just because most Americans think that nothing is different, just wrong, isn't a reason to change in my book.
Yep. There's only one way and that's the American way
Old Sep 1st 2003, 3:57 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Yarr.
Attached Thumbnails A true American or just a Brit abroad?-stopus.jpg  
Old Sep 8th 2003, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

swingin scot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A true American or just a Brit abroad?

I still consider myself a Brit even though America is my new home, but yes I've become very "Americanized" which part of me accepts since it makes my life easier, ie, being understood, but at the same time I didn't plan on losing my Britishness per se. It happens to all of us to a greater or lesser extent and can't really be helped but I agree that the most important thing is to hang onto your roots as much as possible since that is such an ingrained part of your identiy and is a huge part of who you are. I know one thing though ... the Yanks could learn a lot from us Brits when it comes to weddings. They just have no clue when it comes to getting everybody involved and into the dancing, esp. the traditional stuff. Man, British weddings are the best. Anyone else agree? Caileigh's (sp?) are the best man!!! Swing yer kilt hehe.