Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travellng from UK TO USA 36 weeks pregnant

Travellng from UK TO USA 36 weeks pregnant

Old May 23rd 2013, 1:39 pm
Banned

customsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond reputecustomsquestion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travellng from UK TO USA 36 weeks pregnant

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
This is the biggest issue, they may be able to fly but unless it's extremely short or the 36 weeks quoted by the OP was how far along she will be on the return, they won't be able to fly back. Theoretically, and assuming that they are using the VWP, that may violate the rules since there wouldn't be any onward travel plans. Getting bounced back at the boarder and having to do a pretty much immediate return flight would pretty much guarantee some sort of issue for either the mother or baby or both. Not to mention the added future immigration problems. It's a bad idea for multiple reasons!
Would being denied for attempting to enter USA to give birth to U.S Citizen baby and position yourself for immigration advantage be worse than being denied entry for another reason such as they think you would stay illegally or frequency of visits?
Old May 23rd 2013, 1:39 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from anything... who the hell would want to sit in a metal tube for eight hours while that heavily pregnant? Jeysus... talk about being uncomfortable! Those teeny tiny seats are barely big enough for a skinny minny non-pregnant person, let alone someone with a wriggling infant inside them.

Man, I wouldn't take that risk.
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:33 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Who in their right mind would want to go on a holiday at 36 weeks pregnant?
And please don't tell me they intend to schlepp round Disney!!!
Old May 23rd 2013, 3:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by customsquestion
Would being denied for attempting to enter USA to give birth to U.S Citizen baby and position yourself for immigration advantage be worse than being denied entry for another reason such as they think you would stay illegally or frequency of visits?
No.

Rene
Old May 23rd 2013, 3:46 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Ok anchor baby is the wrong term to use but it's only term I know. Why would they be reluctant to cancel, surely they have travel insurance, curtailment of holiday provision should refund the cost of the trip?
Not everyone buys travel insurance at time of booking; plenty of people leave it till later on because they want to shop around. Not all travel insurance covers cancellation; not all cancellation insurance covers pregnancy.

Just because she's reluctant to cancel the holiday doesn't imply there's some whole nefarious immigration agenda! It's a big adjustment to find out you're pregnant and can't necessarily do all the things you normally do. She needs a reality check.

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Who in their right mind would want to go on a holiday at 36 weeks pregnant?
Someone who has never been pregnant before -- or flown long haul! I can't believe her mother is encouraging her to go.

I don't know for sure, but AFAIK there's no actual crime involved in entering the US with the intent to give birth.

Just as I was leaving CA there was a big scandal about 'maternity hotels', where wealthy pregnant Asian women come to the US with the intent to give birth there and gain citizenship for their babies. They apparently pay (big $$$) for all their own medical treatment, plus care at the aforementioned 'hotel', and don't overstay or contravene their tourist visas. Mother and baby leave afterwards, but the child has the future option of coming back to the US. News reports about this took outraged tones but didn't actually say it was illegal.

As others have said, even if the mother-to-be makes it onto the plane, she's most likely to get bounced at POE as a potential inadvertent overstay due to not being able to fly home again. Or the POE official will be reluctant to accept that anyone would be so misguided as to come on a long-haul holiday at 36 weeks, and assume she's planning to illegally overstay.

But turning up pregnant isn't the equivalent of turning up with a wedding dress in your luggage and the secret intent to get married and adjust status.

There's no quick-fix immigration advantage to giving birth in the US, except for the baby; no equivalent of the 'VWP-express' AOS route that newly-weds can take. I really doubt that doing something that will possibly give you an opportunity to apply to immigrate two decades after the event realistically counts as 'positioning yourself for immigration advantage'.

Yes, it's (arguably) an 'immigration advantage' for the baby -- but under the terms of the law the baby is an American citizen fair and square at birth and has all the rights that entails. You can't just strip an American citizen of their citizenship, even if they get it through what you consider a loophole.

Anyway, I'm sure this is all totally besides the point, since the OP's friend probably does just want to go to Disneyworld.
Old May 23rd 2013, 3:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind even considering this. Does she not have any consideration for the baby?
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I can't imagine anyone in their right mind even considering this. Does she not have any consideration for the baby?
Crazy.
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

A friend gave birth in the US having entered the country for a holiday at around 36 weeks. Her travel insurance did cover it. The baby was fine - couple of days in hospital then they went home. She has no intention of moving to the US.
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/trav...nce/pregnancy/

As with any insurance product, the level of cover you receive and the exclusions written in the small print will vary greatly from insurer to insurer, so it is advisable to read through the terms and conditions of any prospective pregnancy travel insurance policy.

Will travel insurance allow me to travel up to full term?

The answer to this question is usually no, the majority of insurance companies will provide cover up until roughly the 28th week of your pregnancy (around 7 months). Travelling after 30 weeks carries a higher risk of a pre-term birth and is not usually recommended.

For more read this....http://www.moneysupermarket.com/trav...nce/pregnancy/

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 23rd 2013 at 4:58 pm. Reason: copyright
Old May 23rd 2013, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
Not everyone buys travel insurance at time of booking; plenty of people leave it till later on because they want to shop around. Not all travel insurance covers cancellation; not all cancellation insurance covers pregnancy.
Yes, and that's actually a mistake that I've made myself. It's better to purchase travel insurance asap after making that first booking so that you're covered for any mishaps that might cause you to cancel subsequently.

Some travel insurance policies cover cancellation of the trip for any reason - but only if you purchase travel insurance within a certain numbers of days of the first payment for the trip. After that, you'll only get cancellation insurance for events specifically listed on the policy.
Old May 23rd 2013, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yes, and that's actually a mistake that I've made myself. It's better to purchase travel insurance asap after making that first booking so that you're covered for any mishaps that might cause you to cancel subsequently.

Some travel insurance policies cover cancellation of the trip for any reason - but only if you purchase travel insurance within a certain numbers of days of the first payment for the trip. After that, you'll only get cancellation insurance for events specifically listed on the policy.
I'd say canceling the vacation is the best route to go. Perhaps talk to the airline and they can give you a voucher to use on a future booking or depending on your credit card you may be able to get a refund on the holiday that way too.
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

I just came back to the US from a vacation abroad including our three kids. We entered the US in Miami and the immigration lines were HUGE.

My family (four USC and me on a green card) got to go in the USC line, but we were the last people through our entry booth before they started waving the non-USC through.

Our questioning was simple and relatively quick (took my photo and fingerprints etc). Then I happened to listen/watch as the couple behind me got questioned while I was gathering bags/repositioning toddler twins, refiling passports.

I was shocked that the immigration official was rude and aggressive to this couple (very different line of questioning from ours). She was shouting at the woman about moving her hands from in front of her stomach to try and conceal a possible pregnancy. She made the woman step away from the booth and turn sideways so she could see her belly and she accused the woman of trying to come to the US to have a baby. As far as I could see the woman wasn't even pregnant so I've no idea what they would do to someone who clearly had a large pregnant belly. Not a good scenario.
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

A denial is a denial
Old May 23rd 2013, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackattack

I was shocked that the immigration official was rude and aggressive to this couple (very different line of questioning from ours). She was shouting at the woman about moving her hands from in front of her stomach to try and conceal a possible pregnancy. She made the woman step away from the booth and turn sideways so she could see her belly and she accused the woman of trying to come to the US to have a baby. As far as I could see the woman wasn't even pregnant so I've no idea what they would do to someone who clearly had a large pregnant belly. Not a good scenario.
I now make a point of never assuming or commenting, so easy to be wrong and then there is no way out.

As an aside on another Board there was a thread about somebody's relation who came to the US for all her births, children got US Citizenship and she had good medical assistance for free.

I seems to remember at least 3 trips.
Old May 23rd 2013, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I am flying USA to UK on Sat at 25 weeks and will fly back at 27 weeks. No way would I consider leaving it any longer since I am already starting to get uncomfortable. I would also have thought that the risk of DVT (already high with pregnancy) would increase the further along you were.

At 36 weeks ono I intend doing nothing more than going to work and laying on the couch at home - flying anywhere would be the last thing on my mind!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.