British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Travellng from UK TO USA 36 weeks pregnant (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/travellng-uk-usa-36-weeks-pregnant-797846/)

BerkshireBugsy May 23rd 2013 7:35 am

Travellng from UK TO USA 36 weeks pregnant

Ok, you read this right. I think it is crazy and probably won't be allowed by the Airline (BA I believe) who I think set a limit at 28 weeks

However and family we know booked this holiday before on of the travellers fell pregnant and she thinks it is still possible to go and what makes it worse is her mother is encouraging it.

I'm trying to find hard info that confirms this can't happen - I magine CBP and insurance will just be a couple of challenges!

THanks

Pollyana May 23rd 2013 7:41 am

Re: Travellng from UK TO USA 36 weeks pregnant

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy (Post 10720408)
Ok, you read this right. I think it is crazy and probably won't be allowed by the Airline (BA I believe) who I think set a limit at 28 weeks

However and family we know booked this holiday before on of the travellers fell pregnant and she thinks it is still possible to go and what makes it worse is her mother is encouraging it.

I'm trying to find hard info that confirms this can't happen - I magine CBP and insurance will just be a couple of challenges!

THanks

From the BA website

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...n/public/en_gb

For uncomplicated single pregnancies, we restrict travel beyond the end of the 36th week, and for twins, triplets etc., beyond the end of the 32nd week. After your pregnancy has entered its 28th week, we ask that you carry with you a letter from your doctor or midwife, stating the pregnancy is uncomplicated and confirming the expected date of delivery. In this letter, your doctor should state that you are in good health, that they are happy for you to fly, and that (in their opinion) there is no reason why you cannot fly.

Is she prepared for the medical bills if she goes into labour over there, and needs hospital attention?

BerkshireBugsy May 23rd 2013 8:03 am

Pollyana, thanks for your reply. As for medical bills I think part of the problem here is the individual concerned is blinkered to these "real world" complications.

I'm guessing the value of insurance would be lmited as at 36 weeks I guess pregnancy would be regarded as a pre-existing condition!

Thanks again

Dave

Pollyana May 23rd 2013 8:09 am

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy (Post 10720445)
Pollyana, thanks for your reply. As for medical bills I think part of the problem here is the individual concerned is blinkered to these "real world" complications.

I'm guessing the value of insurance would be lmited as at 36 weeks I guess pregnancy would be regarded as a pre-existing condition!

Thanks again

Dave

Some of the US based posters should be able to give more advice on the medical side of things; I just know from reading on here that if she or the child ends up in hospital the bills could be crippling :(

MoshiMoshi May 23rd 2013 8:42 am

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy (Post 10720408)

THanks

I flew USA (west coast) to UK at 28 weeks, with British Airways. I had a letter from my doctor, but they didn't ask to see it; it's hard to judge exactly how pregnant someone is at that stage.

However, I am 36 weeks today, and there's no way anyone would let me on a plane without doctor's permission! And I doubt the doctor would give me a letter unless I could make a really strong case for why I had to travel. Presumably there's an issue of liability for them, too, as well as basic common sense -- you're supposed to have your 'hospital bag' packed from 36 weeks onwards, just in case. Ideally the baby won't come until 40 weeks, but would be considered full term from 37 weeks onwards.

Is this a first pregnancy? Maybe the prospective traveler isn't yet aware of how she'll feel at 36 weeks, and is over-confident? It would be very uncomfortable for her flying long-haul. I took the bus to Shepherd's Bush yesterday and needed a long lie-down afterwards!

Honestly, you might find this is a non-issue: BA shouldn't let her fly without a doctor's letter, and her doctor will probably refuse to issue one.

And the insurance is a whole other issue. I doubt anyone would insure the trip if she declared the pregnancy, and she's be absolutely mad to travel to the US heavily pregnant with no appropriate insurance. The basic cost of a straightforward hospital birth is something like $20,000. And then what -- fly home with a newborn? No thank you!

I am all for pregnant ladies living their lives and not being treated like Victorian invalids -- but even I don't think this trip is a good idea.

penguinsix May 23rd 2013 8:49 am

Hi,

A normal, non-complicated delivery at an American hospital runs about $15,000-$20,000 depending on the area. For most Americans with insurance, they pay only a tiny fraction of this cost.

However, a complicated delivery, such as a premature baby or something else could see expenses in the $250,000 range within a week. That is not a typo.

What is her insurance coverage? What is her residency status? As a non-resident, without a job in the USA, she's not going to find insurance from a US provider without extensive limits on coverage. I'm not sure any travel insurance would cover something like this either. Look at it from there end: there is basically a 100% chance the insurance company is going to have to pay $20,000 in the next month, and in exchange they are going to collect how much in premiums from the insuree over that time?

One of the major problems with flying long distances is the potential for dehydration. Dehydration can also lead to premature labor, so the risk is very real that she could be delivering early should she take this flight.

One final note: if she delivers in the USA the child is automatically a US citizen. This means they will have a number of requirements placed on them, such as a requirement for a US passport for travel in the USA, filing tax returns annually for the rest of their life, reporting foreign bank accounts annually, and registering for military conscription at age 18 (if a boy). The parents will not be able to renounce the child's US citizenship even if they want to.

customsquestion May 23rd 2013 9:30 am

So you are trying to have an anchor baby? You will probably be denied entry since it is clearly your intention to have the child born in the USA

MoshiMoshi May 23rd 2013 9:44 am

Originally Posted by customsquestion (Post 10720625)
So you are trying to have an anchor baby? You will probably be denied entry since it is clearly your intention to have the child born in the USA

a) there is no such thing as an anchor baby, at least not in the immediate terms that immigration-scaremongers suggest. If the baby were born in the US then, yes, she/he'd be a US citizen, but she/he couldn't sponsor their parents for 21 years.

b) it sounds like the OP's friend has simply booked a holiday to the US, then found out she's pregnant, but is reluctant to cancel.

customsquestion May 23rd 2013 10:05 am

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi (Post 10720661)
a) there is no such thing as an anchor baby, at least not in the immediate terms that immigration-scaremongers suggest. If the baby were born in the US then, yes, she/he'd be a US citizen, but she/he couldn't sponsor their parents for 21 years.

b) it sounds like the OP's friend has simply booked a holiday to the US, then found out she's pregnant, but is reluctant to cancel.

Ok anchor baby is the wrong term to use but it's only term I know. Why would they be reluctant to cancel, surely they have travel insurance, curtailment of holiday provision should refund the cost of the trip? Medical costs will not be covered due to pre existing condition it will be huge bill tens of thousands and hospital will go through the courts to get it. They will probably be sent back ASAP by the CPB anyway. They see this all to often, people trying to have american baby, because your english won't mean anything.

MarylandNed May 23rd 2013 10:47 am

Well, it might be possible to go but it might not be possible to come back! She might be able to fly out 36 weeks pregnant but there's a higher chance that she won't be able to board the return flight if she's still pregnant by then (because she'll be further along in her pregnancy).

I think this is a crazy idea. Of all the countries I wouldn't try this with, the US would be #1. The possible financial implications don't bear thinking about.

Pulaski May 23rd 2013 11:00 am

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10720769)
Well, it might be possible to go but it might not be possible to come back! ......

That was my first thought too. I'm not sure what the basis might be (possible medical fees paid by the US government?), but if she makes it to the US I suspect the CBP will send her straight back. Also BA may refuse to fly her on the basis that she effectively doesn't have a return ticket, at least not one she'll be able to use.

Duncan Roberts May 23rd 2013 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10720769)
She might be able to fly out 36 weeks pregnant but there's a higher chance that she won't be able to board the return flight if she's still pregnant by then (because she'll be further along in her pregnancy).

This is the biggest issue, they may be able to fly but unless it's extremely short or the 36 weeks quoted by the OP was how far along she will be on the return, they won't be able to fly back. Theoretically, and assuming that they are using the VWP, that may violate the rules since there wouldn't be any onward travel plans. Getting bounced back at the boarder and having to do a pretty much immediate return flight would pretty much guarantee some sort of issue for either the mother or baby or both. Not to mention the added future immigration problems. It's a bad idea for multiple reasons!

AmerLisa May 23rd 2013 12:53 pm

Who in their right mind would want to go on a holiday at 36 weeks pregnant? :ohmy:

JAJ May 23rd 2013 12:56 pm

On top of everything else, the risk of the child arriving in-flight with lack of medical facilities if anything goes wrong. Even if the delivery works out, the child then could face a legal mess of not having a birth certificate from anywhere.

Weeze May 23rd 2013 1:03 pm

Honestly there is no way I would think the airline will let her fly. It's too big a risk of giving birth on-route. 36 weeks going, say 37 weeks coming back. She would need a letter form her doctor to fly back as well. The letter coming out wouldn't cover it so she'd need a doctors visit in the USA as well. God knows how she'd find a OBGYN who'd be willing to sign her as fit to fly back at 37 weeks (presuming its a week long holiday).