Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

travelling from US to UK

travelling from US to UK

Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

masih86 is on a distinguished road
Default travelling from US to UK

Can anyone suggest cheap sites to find flights from US to UK?

Also can anyone give me a rough idea of the $$$'s it would cost just so I have an Idea, I looked at one site and it quoted $1100 for a trip in November....Is this correct or extortionate?

Thanks in Advance!

Masih86
Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travelling from US to UK

Prices vary obviously, depending on where you are in the US and which class/ type of ticket you want. Just as a guide, my gf is flying from Houston to London in November and spending a couple of weeks in the UK. She booked the ticket a few weeks ago with Continental Airlines and it cost in the region of $850 round trip, including taxes. The same ticket right now is priced at $1030 inc. taxes.

I usually start searching on Expedia to get a rough guide price. If I see something I like, then I check on the airlines own website and try to book direct with them if possible.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:43 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

The day of the week you fly on will also have an impact on the cost. In my expericence, Wednesdays are the cheapest day to fly.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:51 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you flying from and to might help!
Just go to any main stream search travel site like Expedia,Orbitz, Travelocity, and then get a quote find out the airline/carrier then go directaly to their site and push in the same dates, 9 times out of 10 it will be cheaper to book direct with the airline.

Yes 1,100 is way to much money for an economy ticket.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

masih86 is on a distinguished road

Thanks again! I appreciate the prompt responses!

Sorry, I should have given more detail, Im just looking for flights for my Fiancee who will be flying over toward the end of November, from either Dallas FW or Dallas Lovefield airport to sunny Birmingham,UK

Im just helping my fiancee try and find the cheapest flight and thought people with past experience would be a good start point....

Im still in shock at the price of flights from the US to Uk as when I travel to see her I only pay £300-£450
Old Aug 19th 2011, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason, tickets originating in the USA are priced higher than those from the UK or EU.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 3:56 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by masih86

Sorry, I should have given more detail, Im just looking for flights for my Fiancee who will be flying over toward the end of November, from either Dallas FW or Dallas Lovefield airport to sunny Birmingham,UK

Im just helping my fiancee try and find the cheapest flight and thought people with past experience would be a good start point....

Im still in shock at the price of flights from the US to Uk as when I travel to see her I only pay £300-£450
To save the UK "Exit Tax" go via Schipol direct to Brum and back.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:08 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Delta
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:13 pm
Account Closed

A quick search on Expedia.com (the USA version of the site) gives a fare of $1042 incl. taxes on Delta ex DFW leaving 14 Nov. via Minneapolis and Amsterdam returning 22 Dec. via Amsterdam and Memphis.

The cheapest 1-stop itinerary for the same dates, again ex DFW, is $1097 incl. taxes on United/ Continental via Newark NJ. The the same itinerary booked direct with Continental is $1030. By the way, that Newark flight is the only direct transatlantic connection from Birmingham. However, Continental only operate a narrowbody Boeing 757 on that route, and some people find these aircraft inadequate for a 7 or 8 hour flight.

It might be possible to work out something cheaper by buying seperate tickets for each leg of the journey. But if anything goes wrong with one of the flights, and you miss a connection for example, your rights to redress from the airlines are much more limited without through ticketing. A very good travel insurance policy might help though.

Last edited by materialcontroller; Aug 19th 2011 at 4:19 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

T to sunny Birmingham,UK
That is part of the problem. If you can get to Manchester to pick him up easily consider that. $930 on AA.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Also can anyone give me a rough idea of the $$$'s it would cost just so I have an Idea, I looked at one site and it quoted $1100 for a trip in November....Is this correct or extortionate?
As people have said, it depends on all the variables, but prices do seem to have gone up substantially in the last year. In June 2010 I flew LHR-PDX and it cost me around $750. The same week this year a flight from LHR-SEA cost me more like $950. I've also found prices to the east coast to be a bit steeper than they used to be.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 11:14 pm
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

They are no international flights coming from or going to Dallas Lovefield. Not even from Mexico or Canada as I recall. But I think you know that anyway And I am not sure that you can to to Birmingham nonstop from anywhere expect maybe from JFK but I am not 100% sure since I always trilved to either Heathrow or Gatwick when I went to and from the US when I was a kid and this was years ago..
Old Aug 19th 2011, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

This is a great site for aggregating fare and itinerary searches from a full range of websites:

http://www.skyscanner.com/
Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

it is worth a quick stop at your local travel agents- I booked from Northern California to Teesside with changes at SF and Amsterdam and it was approx £1000 cheaper going into my travel agent than i have just pulled up online (I looked out of curiosity)

The booking fee at the travel agents was £22 but worth it as they took all of the stress out of searching for me
Old Aug 20th 2011, 5:30 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

www.kayak.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.