Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

travelling to UK tomorrow (hopefully)

travelling to UK tomorrow (hopefully)

Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:23 pm

special ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to all
Default travelling to UK tomorrow (hopefully)

Assuming my flight actually goes ahead with all the travel chaos, had a question about which passports to use. I have a valid US and UK passport (got my USC last December). I know I have to use my US passport to leave and enter the US but which one should I use to enter the UK? Is there an advantage to using my UK passport or does the US require I use my US passport to enter another country? Im only going to be in the UK for seven days and won't be driving/working or anything like that, so does it matter? Thanks.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travelling to UK tomorrow (hopefully)

Originally Posted by special ed
... which one should I use to enter the UK?
Use your UK passport to enter the UK.

... does the US require I use my US passport to enter another country?
The US would like to think they're that powerful, but no... the US can't compel you to use a US passport to enter any country other than the US.

... so does it matter?
Yes. A UKC has access to more services/protection than a US visitor would. It's an interesting legal question... if you enter the UK using your US passport, does the UK consider you a visitor or a citizen?

Ian
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Use your UK passport to enter the UK.

The US would like to think they're that powerful, but no... the US can't compel you to use a US passport to enter any country other than the US.

Yes. A UKC has access to more services/protection than a US visitor would. It's an interesting legal question... if you enter the UK using your US passport, does the UK consider you a visitor or a citizen?

Ian
A citizen. Regardless of the passport unless you give up your UK citizenship you are always considered a citizen.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:37 pm

special ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to all

Thank you! Just checked United's website and it seems my flight to London from O'Hare is about the only one not currently listed as cancelled. Fingers crossed!!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airways
Regardless of the passport unless you give up your UK citizenship you are always considered a citizen.
Yes, I understand the concept. That wasn't quite the thrust of the question. One interpretation of immigration regulations suggests you are entitled to stay in the UK for only 6 months - because you are representing yourself as a USC and not a UKC. Now, while your UK citizenship isn't in any danger, it creates a curious legal question as to your status while in the UK... if only on paper!

Ian
Old Dec 20th 2010, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming my flight actually goes ahead with all the travel chaos, had a question about which passports to use. I have a valid US and UK passport (got my USC last December). I know I have to use my US passport to leave and enter the US but which one should I use to enter the UK? Is there an advantage to using my UK passport or does the US require I use my US passport to enter another country? Im only going to be in the UK for seven days and won't be driving/working or anything like that, so does it matter? Thanks.
I would just use your US passport, if you are only visiting.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 11:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When visiting my husband always uses his US PP because he usually gets through the queue quicker than the EU queue. I always use my UK PP.

For a visit it really doesn't matter what PP you use to enter and leave the UK. Remember if you're a USC you must leave and enter using your US PP.