Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travelling on K1 Fiancee visa, health insurance recommendations?

Travelling on K1 Fiancee visa, health insurance recommendations?

Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

shent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really nice
Default Travelling on K1 Fiancee visa, health insurance recommendations?

Pretty simple question guys, can I pay for 12 month travellers insurance with a UK company or am I better off finding a US health care provider once I'm in the States & married? What is your advice? As always, I'm after good value for money, but I get the feeling that's impossible with health insurance
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling on K1 Fiancee visa, health insurance recommendations?

Originally Posted by shent
Pretty simple question guys, can I pay for 12 month travellers insurance with a UK company or am I better off finding a US health care provider once I'm in the States & married? What is your advice? As always, I'm after good value for money, but I get the feeling that's impossible with health insurance
Travel insurance won't cover you if you're living in the US.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

shent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really niceshent is just really nice

Originally Posted by lisa67
Travel insurance won't cover you if you're living in the US.
Hmm, I figured that may have been the case. Any suggestions? My wife-to-be is studying full time so doesn't have employment insurance, and as I'll be waiting for my SSN & GC before I can start work, money will be an issue for paying for my own insurance.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, I figured that may have been the case. Any suggestions? My wife-to-be is studying full time so doesn't have employment insurance, and as I'll be waiting for my SSN & GC before I can start work, money will be an issue for paying for my own insurance.
Add on to her College Insurance.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Try a firm call Patriot America- it covers visitors and new immigrants for the first 2 years....
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Does she have insurance at all? It might still be cheaper to see if you can get yourself added to her insurance.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

...and as I'll be waiting for my SSN & GC before I can start work, money will be an issue for paying for my own insurance.
Just to clarify, you should apply for your SSN about 10 days after you arrive on the K-1, and then it takes about 2 weeks to come in the mail. So you'll have your SS card within a month after your arrival in the USA.

You don't have to wait for the GC to start working. As part of your AOS application, you'll fill out form I-765, which is for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document). It takes about 90 days to get the EAD in hand after filing AOS. So although you will have a period of time when you're not work authorized, the EAD usually comes before your AOS interview...so you'll have work authorization and SSN before the GC.

Rene