Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travelling with debt

Travelling with debt

Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

simonza1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling with debt

If I move to the US to marry an American citizen and apply for a green card etc. Would it matter if I leave debts behind in the UK? Is this something that the US goverment look into?
I Owe approx £25,000 over various loans and credit cards.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:25 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling with debt

Hi,

A belated welcome to BE.

I've moved your thread to our USA forum for you.

I take it from your other post that you are moving very soon? Have you already gone through the visa process?

As to your question, your financial arrangements regarding paying your debts in the UK are of no concern to the US government.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:42 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Be prepared for the barrage of people telling you are no good for even considering the idea.... but in answer to the question, no they don't care. Weather the companies you owe money too will pursue you into the US however is a different question. It can and has happened.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sue
Hi,

A belated welcome to BE.

I've moved your thread to our USA forum for you.

I take it from your other post that you are moving very soon? Have you already gone through the visa process?

As to your question, your financial arrangements regarding paying your debts in the UK are of no concern to the US government.
Hi thanks for the message, I am leaving this week! heading for sunny Florida to marry the woman of my dreams! and have no intentions of coming back.
I am just concerned that I can be chased over there for debts here.
I understand that I will end up with CCJ's etc. but thats something I am willing to live with. Once I am settled, I am going to pay stuff off in time.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonza1
Hi thanks for the message, I am leaving this week! heading for sunny Florida to marry the woman of my dreams! and have no intentions of coming back.
I understand that I will end up with CCJ's etc. but thats something I am willing to live with. Once I am settled, I am going to pay stuff off in time.
Do yourself a favour. Declare yourself bankrupt in the UK and then that puts a stop to it once and for all. Your UK credit history will take a hit for 7 years but why would you care if you're not living in Britain?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:48 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, speaking from my experience of over 13 years on BE, I've seen many, many people, post that they've have no intention of ever moving back to the UK, and then I've seen some of those people, a few years later move back. So please don't burn your bridges. Start making arrangements now. You don't have to pay them off straight away. Tell them you are leaving and let them know you will be repaying over time.

Yes you could be chased abroad for your debts in the UK, I've no idea how legally binding that is, but do you want the worry of being tracked down over here and having demand letters in drop into your post box?

On the marriage side, as you are coming across to get married to your fiancee and staying, I'm assuming you've already applied and have in hand your K1 visa?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sue
Honestly, speaking from my experience of over 13 years on BE, I've seen many, many people, post that they've have no intention of ever moving back to the UK, and then I've seen some of those people, a few years later move back. So please don't burn your bridges. Start making arrangements now. You don't have to pay them off straight away. Tell them you are leaving and let them know you will be repaying over time.

Yes you could be chased abroad for your debts in the UK, I've no idea how legally binding that is, but do you want the worry of being tracked down over here and having demand letters in the post.

On the marriage side, as you are coming across to get married to your fiancee and staying, I'm assuming you've already applied and have in hand your K1 visa?
Hi thanks for the advice, I am travelling on a normal tourist Visa. However we understand that I cannot enter the US with intentions of marraige, so the official engagment will happen a few weeks after I arrive, with the wedding in August.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Do yourself a favour. Declare yourself bankrupt in the UK and then that puts a stop to it once and for all. Your UK credit history will take a hit for 7 years but why would you care if you're not living in Britain?
What benefits are there in declaring myself bankrupt if I end up with CCJs do they not also stick around for seven years and then get written off????
Or do they stay with me forever?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:54 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You clearly have the intent to marry now - what you are proposing is not allowed under the VWP (which I assume is what you mean by normal tourist visa) and you are running the risk of your Adjustment of Status being denied and being banned from the US.

Folow the correct procedure and get a K1 visa would be my advice.

What benefits are there in declaring myself bankrupt if I end up with CCJs do they not also stick around for seven years and then get written off????
Or do they stay with me forever?
A CCJ is never written off. After 6 years a company would need to explain why they have been unable to enforce their original judgment - and you being abroad is an acceptable reason.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:55 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Hi thanks for the advice, I am travelling on a normal tourist Visa. However we understand that I cannot enter the US with intentions of marraige, so the official engagment will happen a few weeks after I arrive, with the wedding in August.
You seriously need to check out our Marriage Based forum and read the experiences of others. You aren't going about this the right way. You shouldn't enter the US with the intent of staying when you are on the VWP.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
+1, particularly as the OP would be more worried than most about returning to the UK if he's got big debts waiting for him if things go wrong with the AOS!
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
You clearly have the intent to marry now - what you are proposing is not allowed under the VWP (which I assume is what you mean by normal tourist visa) and you are running the risk of your Adjustment of Status being denied and being banned from the US.

A CCJ is never written off. After 6 years a company would need to explain why they have been unable to enforce their original judgment - and you being abroad is an acceptable reason.
Please explain what my risks are if I travel to the US and decide I cant live withought my partner and I propose whilst there. It is no way a fraudulant marraige? What can the goverment possibly say that can deny my access?
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
You seriously need to check out our Marriage Based forum and read the experiences of others. You aren't going about this the right way. You shouldn't enter the US with the intent of staying when you are on the VWP.
+1+1
Old Jun 17th 2013, 4:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you have a K-1 Visa in hand?

Your debts are not looked at by the US government. It's up to the USC spouse to show they can support you on their own income/assets (which she should have done already by sending you the I-134....assuming, of course, that you have a K-1 visa in hand).

Rene
Old Jun 17th 2013, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

..... but you obviously DO have the intention of marrying and staying the US. When you do AOS you are going to say it was a spontaneous decision; however if you are planning to marry in August and are making preparations for same then the "spur of the moment" thing is going to be difficult to prove.

While you are sorting out your adjustment of status I don't believe you can legally work - so good luck in paying back those debts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.