Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Cuba from the US

Wikiposts

Travelling to Cuba from the US

Old Jun 21st 2007, 3:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to Cuba from the US

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Can't have my cigar and smoke it either. But if the rules apply to everyone subject to US jurisdiction then that might mean everyone physically present in the United States, or attempting to enter, and this would include any foreign non-resident tourists who happen also to have spent time in Cuba in the past.

I remember discussing this (the embargo on Cuba in general) some time ago with an educated American who expressed genuine surprise that the UK government doesn't prevent us from visiting certain countries. I said that the FCO issues advices and recommends that we don't travel to certain places, but I'm not aware of any country that British citizens have been banned from visiting by HM Government.
You're right, it could technically be interpreted that way (without looking at the actual law, it's hard to tell, and without a lawyer's interpretation, well...)

The Dept of State issues similar warnings for other countries as well.. Cuba is a unique situation. As a US citizen, I might be more willing to take the risk of whatever fine etc they would/could throw at me, but as a PR, I wouldn't let my husband consider it.
Of course now that he's naturalized...
They have scuba diving there, right?
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:53 am
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by meauxna
They have scuba diving there, right?
Certainly do! Hubs got his ACUC Open Water Diver Cert out there.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 2:08 am
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice people. Think I might wait until I get citizenship or Fidel dies. Whichever comes first.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 2:57 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterbainham
Thanks for all the advice people. Think I might wait until I get citizenship or Fidel dies. Whichever comes first.

If I was you I'd aim to go while Fidel is alive...
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterbainham
They were talking about the travel restrictions on NPR this morning; some think the Dems might relax them at some point.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:10 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not aware of any country that British citizens have been banned from visiting by HM Government.
IIRC, it was not illegal (under UK law) for individuals to travel to Iraq or Argentina during the periods the UK was at war with those states. Presumably in WW2 it would have been illegal to travel/trade with Axis countries though.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 2:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
IIRC, it was not illegal (under UK law) for individuals to travel to Iraq or Argentina during the periods the UK was at war with those states.
There was never any formal declaration of war against these countries.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
They were talking about the travel restrictions on NPR this morning; some think the Dems might relax them at some point.
Lawmakers from both parties have introduced legislation to ease the restrictions on Cuba, but the Whitehouse is against any changes, so it probably wont change anytime soon.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Would this include visa holders of the long-stay/work type? Not that I plan on going any time soon - just curious as to how it works. Both of my Cuba-visiting friends subsequently entered the USA without any problems under the VWP, but as for full-on visas, I'm not sure.
We were in Cuba in 2000-2001. Blokey applied/received HB visa, with the US knowledge that he had spent time in Cuba (and Madagascar, and Lebanon).
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
We were in Cuba in 2000-2001. Blokey applied/received HB visa, with the US knowledge that he had spent time in Cuba (and Madagascar, and Lebanon).
The US doesn't like Madagascar?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:39 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
There was never any formal declaration of war against these countries.
Ahh, well, there you go then... I'm vaguely surprised that there wasn't one over the case of the Falklands. What was the last declared war that the UK was involved in?

There isn't a state of war between the US and Cuba, is there?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

The US doesn't like Madagascar?
Not really sure, but it's not really democratic...there were riots there and people killed last time we were there...tis a little dodgy.