Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Cuba from the US

Travelling to Cuba from the US

Old Jun 18th 2007, 4:47 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travelling to Cuba from the US

Hey y'all. It's been a while since I posted here though I do check in and lurk once in a while.

I've got a few questions which I'm sure one of you helpful souls will be able to answer or share an experience. I want to go to Cuba this autumn for a week or so but I'm not sure how to go about it since I live in the US. I'm not a US citizen yet so does that make it any easier? Can I go directly to Cuba or do I have to go via another country? Can I expect to get into any trouble if the US authorities find out?
Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:39 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to Cuba from the US

Originally Posted by peterbainham
Hey y'all. It's been a while since I posted here though I do check in and lurk once in a while.

I've got a few questions which I'm sure one of you helpful souls will be able to answer or share an experience. I want to go to Cuba this autumn for a week or so but I'm not sure how to go about it since I live in the US. I'm not a US citizen yet so does that make it any easier? Can I go directly to Cuba or do I have to go via another country? Can I expect to get into any trouble if the US authorities find out?

Basic Info on Cuba here:

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/me...06&iCountryId=

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldgui...aribbean/cuba/

Good travel tips for Cuba:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/letters/car/cub_pc.htm

Ha ha.....Michael Moore just got into trouble with the US authorities for filming his new documentary in Cuba!

You need to be very careful (it's considered illegal if you're a US resident) but do-able.

You will almost certainly need to enter via another country. The most popular ways are to:

a) Fly to Jamaica then fly onwards to Cuba
b) Fly to a Canadian airport (eg. Montreal, Toronto) then onwards to Cuba

c) Fly to Central or S. America (eg. Mexica....possibly Cancun?) then onwards to Cuba

d) Take part in an official organized 'cultural' exchange tour from the US.

You will need to ask Cuban immigration not to stamp your passport.....they're apparently used to this request and just stamp a piece of paper in your passport instead.

Whatever you do, don't use a US-issued credit card! Cash is probably king and it will be easy to exchange Pounds Sterling, Euros, Canadian dollars and Mexican Pesos. You can't use US $ any more.

If you look on google, loads of Canadian tour operators do package tours to Cuba.....perhaps also check up on Air Jamaica for their flights to Cuba (might have to do it via a non-US Air Jamaica website, especially if you want to check on their vacation packages).

http://usacubatravel.com/

http://www.canadacuba.ca/ustravelers/uscubatravel.php

It never ceases to amaze me that US residents can't enter Cuba....hey, this is the 'land of the free' unless you want the freedom to visit Cuba LOL!

Last edited by Englishmum; Jun 18th 2007 at 6:22 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Can I expect to get into any trouble if the US authorities find out?
That's an interesting question; check out what travel.state.gov has to say about it and decide for yourself if it's worth your residency here (don't know your status).
Old Jun 19th 2007, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard stories, of people going via Mexico. Passports are not stamped, they receive a returnable piece of paper. Of course, who knows how true this is. Biggest problem, you would be screwed from ever becoming a USC. Unless you they tell more fibs, UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bad idea!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:53 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
I have heard stories, of people going via Mexico. Passports are not stamped, they receive a returnable piece of paper. Of course, who knows how true this is. Biggest problem, you would be screwed from ever becoming a USC. Unless you they tell more fibs, UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bad idea!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reg. Frank R.

That's just how it is. I went to Cuba from the UK some years ago and that was my experience. When you land they stamp a separate piece of paper that they take from you on your way back. They do stamp your passport also but the stamp doesn't reflect where it comes from. Oh! and bare in mind that it doesn't matter what nationality you are or what passport you hold.. you would not be allowed in the US with a stamp from Cuba in your passport anyway!

I was very surprised to see quite a few Americans in Cuba and I did ask them how they got there from the US. They were either flying to Canada, Mexico or another Caribbean Island and from there to Cuba. What I can't tell you is how to book your holiday as I don't think you'd be allowed to buy a holiday to Cuba from a travel agent ...
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:45 pm
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by anabella
That's just how it is. I went to Cuba from the UK some years ago and that was my experience. When you land they stamp a separate piece of paper that they take from you on your way back.
We went to Cuba from the UK and I can confirm that they attach a piece of paper to your passport and stamp that and when you leave they remove it.

Cuba airport immigration is very intimidating though!
Old Jun 19th 2007, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Terminal
We went to Cuba from the UK and I can confirm that they attach a piece of paper to your passport and stamp that and when you leave they remove it.

Cuba airport immigration is very intimidating though!
Seconded (or thirded)... nice place to visit though... if you ignore the people living in poverty.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that you were free to travel there, but you're just forbidden from spending money there? It could all change post-Castro.

I've never been but my friends who have rave about the place. I would say routing yourself via Canada is less suspect than Mexico or the Caribbean.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
I thought that you were free to travel there, but you're just forbidden from spending money there? It could all change post-Castro.
Your not allowed, as a USC or LPR, only legal way in would be a journalist visa thing, but that's a hard sell.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:08 am
Banned

roadwarrior will become famous soon enough

go to mexico or central america fly from there to cuba. on arrival to cuba tell immigration not to stamp your passport. problem solved.

you are a british citizen its none of the US authorities business where you travel when out of the USA. another story though if you are a US citizen.

pretty sad really that my fellow americans cannot choose where they want to fly to or visit. thought we had freedom of travel and movement. obviously not. bullshit.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 3:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roadwarrior

you are a british citizen its none of the US authorities business where you travel when out of the USA. another story though if you are a US citizen.
not just citizens, LPR's too, part of being a US resident, and it's one of those questions you'll have to lie about when going for citizenship.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
not just citizens, LPR's too, part of being a US resident, and it's one of those questions you'll have to lie about when going for citizenship.
Would this include visa holders of the long-stay/work type? Not that I plan on going any time soon - just curious as to how it works. Both of my Cuba-visiting friends subsequently entered the USA without any problems under the VWP, but as for full-on visas, I'm not sure.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Would this include visa holders of the long-stay/work type? Not that I plan on going any time soon - just curious as to how it works. Both of my Cuba-visiting friends subsequently entered the USA without any problems under the VWP, but as for full-on visas, I'm not sure.
That I wouldn't know, but it might cause problems if you had a greencard application in the works.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 3:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone subject to US jurisdiction falls under this restriction; you can not have your cake and eat it too.
It was a 2 click search:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1097.html
ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS/TRAVEL TRANSACTION LIMITATIONS: The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Treasury Department and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The Regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed to engage in any travel-related transactions related to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities have increased enforcement of these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of Treasury regulations will face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

(more)
Old Jun 21st 2007, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
Everyone subject to US jurisdiction falls under this restriction; you can not have your cake and eat it too.
Can't have my cigar and smoke it either. But if the rules apply to everyone subject to US jurisdiction then that might mean everyone physically present in the United States, or attempting to enter, and this would include any foreign non-resident tourists who happen also to have spent time in Cuba in the past.

I remember discussing this (the embargo on Cuba in general) some time ago with an educated American who expressed genuine surprise that the UK government doesn't prevent us from visiting certain countries. I said that the FCO issues advices and recommends that we don't travel to certain places, but I'm not aware of any country that British citizens have been banned from visiting by HM Government.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.