Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Chicago - Please help anybody

Travelling to Chicago - Please help anybody

Old Mar 1st 2009, 2:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to Chicago - Please help anybody

Originally Posted by Fizzy123
Okay then. I am going to Chicago in a week or two I dont like snow either but since I will only be there for a few days therefore it won't be so depressing I just want to get married and be with my hubbzzzy

Thanks for the responses peeps !

You don't like snow but you are wanting to live in Canada??????

You will need the marriage certificate for your immigration documents. That might take one day or perhaps one month to get. Ask if you can get the marriage certificate sent to your in-law's Chicago home. What we did was give them a self-addressed and prepaid Priority Mail Envelope to send the certificate back to us. Worked beautifully and we received the certificate less than a week after our marriage.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 1st 2009 at 2:38 am.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 2:41 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Vancouver doesn't get much snow.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Fizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete

You will need the marriage certificate for your immigration documents. That might take one day or perhaps one month to get. Ask if you can get the marriage certificate sent to your in-law's Chicago home. What we did was give them a self-addressed and prepaid Priority Mail Envelope to send the certificate back to us. Worked beautifully and we received the certificate less than a week after our marriage.
Can you tell me a little bit more about obtaining the marriage certificate. We can get married in 2 days can't we? First day to obtain the marriage license and the second day we can get it registered. That's what I have learned by calling the cooks county office in Chicago. But I am just not so sure about obtaining the marriage certificate. Can someone please shed light on this?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

ITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to all

Asalam Alaykum Fizzy,

It looks like as someone stated earlier, they don't issue the certificate immediately. Take a look at these links:
http://http://www.cookctyclerk.com/s...rtificates.asp

http://http://chicago-hotels.tripadv..._Illinois.html

You should be able to get it posted within 10 days.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:05 pm

Gibo is on a distinguished road

Hello everybody

I am a British Citizen but have never traveled to US before. I am planning to do so soon. I am married to my Canadian partner but its not valid here in UK therefore the Canadian Immigration will not accept it as a valid marriage. We need a marriage certificate that's valid in the jurisdiction the marriage took place. I need to apply for my Canadian PR asap.

The residency time to get married here in UK is almost 3 weeks and my partner cant leave his job for such a long time. I cant go to Canada, because the immigration already knows he is my spouse and suspect that I will not return to England once I enter Canada. Therefore we have decided to get married in US. Its a quicker way so hopefully soon we will be both meeting up in Chicago after 3 months

The problem is I have never traveled to US before. I am scared of the immigration officers. Should I tell them I am visiting my Canadian partner so that we can tie the knot OR should I say I am going to see my family friends. My husband's brother is a US citizen and lives in Chicago. Would they cause problems if I tell them my true intentions? What if they start cross questioning etc ...

Please advise
I have been in Chicago now for 5 years and I love it.

Now this will sound obvious, but make sure you have a return ticket to the UK, Other wise USCIS will not let you in, in fact, you will not even get on the plane in the UK. I entered the USA under the visa wavier program in 2004 and married (my now ex wife). and I JUST got my green card yesterday, That’s right, 5 soding years to get it. It is not a 3 month process for a visa, Minimum its 8 months before you can enter. The USCIS WILL ask why you are here. How do you know CIC in Canada would not allow you in? Have you been told that BY CIC?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Fizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really niceFizzy123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gibo

Now this will sound obvious, but make sure you have a return ticket to the UK, Other wise USCIS will not let you in, in fact, you will not even get on the plane in the UK. I entered the USA under the visa wavier program in 2004 and married (my now ex wife). and I JUST got my green card yesterday, That’s right, 5 soding years to get it. It is not a 3 month process for a visa, Minimum its 8 months before you can enter. The USCIS WILL ask why you are here. How do you know CIC in Canada would not allow you in? Have you been told that BY CIC?
Hiya

Good luck with everything

I have been refused entry to canada in January. I am only visiting Chicago so what will the USCIS ask me? Can they send me back without a reason?

I will have a return ticket and show that I have ties back home. So hopefully it should be ok.

Thanks for the reply dear.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:58 pm

Hiya

Good luck with everything

I have been refused entry to canada in January. I am only visiting Chicago so what will the USCIS ask me? Can they send me back without a reason?

I will have a return ticket and show that I have ties back home. So hopefully it should be ok.

Thanks for the reply dear.
Hiya

Well if you have been denied into Canada, USCIS will want to know why. They will know that you have been denied entry into Canada whether you tell them or not, you should have some kind of stamp in your passport also from CIC which will show that you were denied entry,

However that does not mean USCIS will not allow you in. My advice is this. I would contact the US Embassy in London and ask them, you may need a visa before you travel to the USA. They can send you back if they believe you will violate any immigration law,

He/She will ask why you are in the USA, For how long, Where will you be staying, etc etc just general questions, I would not worry about that. This may sound all doom and gloom, But if you do your homework BEFORE you travel, and follow advice from the US Embassy, You should be just fine.

Bring a hat when your in Chicago, I got out of the car today and a penguin bit my ass.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 7:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

With all respect, your situation was completely different. Neither of these two is a US citizen or resident and they do not intend to live in the US.

She does NOT need a visa to come here and marry.

Hiya

Well if you have been denied into Canada, USCIS will want to know why. They will know that you have been denied entry into Canada whether you tell them or not, you should have some kind of stamp in your passport also from CIC which will show that you were denied entry,

However that does not mean USCIS will not allow you in. My advice is this. I would contact the US Embassy in London and ask them, you may need a visa before you travel to the USA. They can send you back if they believe you will violate any immigration law,

He/She will ask why you are in the USA, For how long, Where will you be staying, etc etc just general questions, I would not worry about that. This may sound all doom and gloom, But if you do your homework BEFORE you travel, and follow advice from the US Embassy, You should be just fine.

Bring a hat when your in Chicago, I got out of the car today and a penguin bit my ass.
The agency in charge of the border is the CBP, not the USCIS.
The Embassy (Consulate) can not and will not give immigration advice (that's what the internet is for, dammit ).
A misplaced visa application can do more harm than good.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
With all respect, your situation was completely different. Neither of these two is a US citizen or resident and they do not intend to live in the US.

She does NOT need a visa to come here and marry.

The agency in charge of the border is the CBP, not the USCIS.
The Embassy (Consulate) can not and will not give immigration advice (that's what the internet is for, dammit ).
A misplaced visa application can do more harm than good.
Your wrong about the Consulate, Here is the the telephone number for Operator assisted information. 09042-450-100.

I never said she did need a visa to enter, Just because the UK is in the VWP, it does not mean every british citizen is entitled to use it. All I said was do your homework and look into it. I have lived in Canada also and hold LPR Status there too,How ever you look at it, being refused entry into any country is a red flag, and it WILL warrant USCIS or CBP to look into it., all i am saying is be prepared and be pro active,
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Your wrong about the Consulate, Here is the the telephone number for Operator assisted information. 09042-450-100.
If I was really bitchy, I'd tell you that YOU are wrong; that is the call center in Scotland, which is neither the Consulate or DOS workers.

They can assist people who can't read the website, but they are in no position to be advising people about individual cases.