Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Traveling whilst waiting for AOS

Traveling whilst waiting for AOS

Old Oct 15th 2002, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

jimmyk is a jewel in the roughjimmyk is a jewel in the roughjimmyk is a jewel in the roughjimmyk is a jewel in the rough
Default Traveling whilst waiting for AOS

Hey,
i'm about to begin filing for AOS and realise it may take a long time to come through. Would it be best to apply for my I-131 with the other forms (as i will want to return to the u.k for a holiday(s) during the next 2 years) or can i do it when i decide i want to take a trip?
How long does it take for the I-131?
Could i be refused I-131 or re-entry as i am currently over my I-94 and not be able to visit u.k for a long time?
ANy advice wopuld be just lovely.

Thanks - James
Old Oct 15th 2002, 7:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling whilst waiting for AOS

Originally posted by jimmyk:
Hey,
i'm about to begin filing for AOS and realise it may take a long time to come through. Would it be best to apply for my I-131 with the other forms (as i will want to return to the u.k for a holiday(s) during the next 2 years) or can i do it when i decide i want to take a trip?
How long does it take for the I-131?
Could i be refused I-131 or re-entry as i am currently over my I-94 and not be able to visit u.k for a long time?
ANy advice wopuld be just lovely.

Thanks - James
Timeline for issuance of an I-131 depends on the INS office you are using. Normally you get it no later than 90 days from applying. As for the overstay issue, if you are 180 days or more over the expiration of your I-94 DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use A/P if INS issues it to you. You are subject to a ban if you do.

Rete
Old Oct 16th 2002, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

jimmyk is a jewel in the roughjimmyk is a jewel in the roughjimmyk is a jewel in the roughjimmyk is a jewel in the rough

Rete, (or anyone)
what's A/P mean, sorry i'm a little slow.
Thanks
Old Oct 16th 2002, 3:49 pm
John

advance parole

"jimmyk" wrote in message
news:444875.1034727640@britishexpats-
.com
    > Rete, (or anyone)
    > what's A/P mean, sorry i'm a little slow.
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 18th 2002, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Anyone?
Old Oct 18th 2002, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

desusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jimmyk:
Anyone?
A/P means Advance Parole. This is a travel document that normally allows one to re-enter the US whilst an adjustment of status is pending. It avoids the risk of the INS considering your application abandoned. However being granted this document by the INS and using it still cannot guarentee re-entry especially if you have visa over-stay issues. They can still refuse entry if you have not always 'followed the rules'!