Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Traveling with I-551 stamp in passport

Traveling with I-551 stamp in passport

Old Aug 15th 2002, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

christine1438 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Traveling with I-551 stamp in passport

My husband's AOS was approved on 7/23. We were told by the INS officer that the stamp in his passport would allow for travel in and out of the US. We booked a cruise to Bermuda to celebrate and now I have last minute worries that the stamp won't be enough. Has anyone else traveled with just the stamp? Would you share your experiences? Thanks.
Old Aug 15th 2002, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Traveling with I-551 stamp in passport

My wife was in the same situation, waited for 5 years for AOS, so could not leave the country whilst waiting, got her Stamp in March 2001, we went cruising to the Bahama's the week after. On the ship they kept my green card, but gave me my UK passport back, but kept her passport (uk), as she had no green card.

Came back into US through Port Canveral, non citizen line,officer looked at my green card and at her stamp and said "Welcome Home, did you enjoy the cruise?"

No problems whatsoever, the stamp is a Temporary Green card, and everyone treats it the same as the actual card.

Congratulations of your Husbands stamp, stop worrying and enjoy your vacation

Simon
Old Aug 15th 2002, 8:58 pm
Dansbaby01

Don't worry Christine. Danny and I travelled to England and stayed three weeks and
he had no problems getting back into the states with only the I-551 stamp in his
passport. I had the same worries you did but it was all for nothing...

Good Luck!

Joan and Dan USA UK

Old Aug 15th 2002, 10:08 pm

"christine1438" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My husband's AOS was approved on 7/23. We were told by the INS officer that the
    > stamp in his passport would allow for travel in and out of the US. We booked a
    > cruise to Bermuda to celebrate and now I have last minute worries that the stamp
    > won't be enough. Has anyone else traveled with just the stamp? Would you share
    > your experiences? Thanks.

Both my kids and I travelled with the stamp only. We had no problems.

Old Aug 16th 2002, 8:07 am
Mrtravel

simon bland wrote:
    > My wife was in the same situation, waited for 5 years for AOS, so could not leave
    > the country whilst waiting, got her Stamp in March 2001, we went cruising to the
    > Bahama's the week after. On the ship they kept my green card, but gave me my UK
    > passport back, but kept her passport (uk), as she had no green card.

Interesting. I don't understand why the cruise ship would need custody of your green
card. They don't keep the documentation of US citizens, why would they keep it of
non citizens?

Old Aug 16th 2002, 8:10 am
Mrtravel

Probably no problem where you are going, but my wife did have issues with Aeroflot in
Russia when returning to the US. It took multiple people to get one that knew it was
good. That is why she has a stamp on her passport now pending removal of conditions.
She didn't feel safe with the 1 year extension letter from INS. Funny thing, the guy
at INS in Salinas would only stamp it for 6 months instead of the year. The letter
expired 1 year psst her green card. The stamp is goof for only 6 months past the date
of the stamp, or about 8 months too early.

Old Aug 16th 2002, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Mrtravel:
simon bland wrote:
    > My wife was in the same situation, waited for 5 years for AOS, so could not leave
    > the country whilst waiting, got her Stamp in March 2001, we went cruising to the
    > Bahama's the week after. On the ship they kept my green card, but gave me my UK
    > passport back, but kept her passport (uk), as she had no green card.

Interesting. I don't understand why the cruise ship would need custody of your green
card. They don't keep the documentation of US citizens, why would they keep it of
non citizens?
Don't know the reason, but have been on 3 cruises since, and it's always the same, any non US citizen has their travel documents (greeen Card or Passport), held until docking back in the US. My daughter is an American Citizen and they just look at her passport and hand it back.
Old Aug 16th 2002, 9:10 pm
Hippyhoppym

I traveled to UK twice with just the stamp. No problems whatsoever.

Enjoy your vacation,

Mel