Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Traveling on 2 Valid Passports? Quick Assistance Needed.

Wikiposts

Traveling on 2 Valid Passports? Quick Assistance Needed.

Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:15 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Traveling on 2 Valid Passports? Quick Assistance Needed.

So why cant just use the US passport for all ports?

If you are planning on staying in the UK for a length of time does it cause problems?

Would you need paperwork otherwise?
Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
So why cant just use the US passport for all ports?

If you are planning on staying in the UK for a length of time does it cause problems?

Would you need paperwork otherwise?
You can.

I've only used my US PP once to enter the UK. The immigration officer asked my why I was there and how long I would be staying. Bloody cheek I thought aren't I entitled to enter without giving a reason ....that's the last time I used it.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 18th 2008 at 1:20 am.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:20 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

So why would OP's OH want to use both passports?

I dont get it.

OK sorry, I see the edit
Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So why would OP's OH want to use both passports?

I dont get it.

OK sorry, I see the edit
I use two PPs...I use my UK PP to enter the UK and my US PP to leave the UK and to leave and enter the US. Using the UK PP to enter the UK is personal choice.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:30 am
Sleepless In Chicago

And I presume this makes it easier/quicker the get past customs?
Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

And I presume this makes it easier/quicker the get past customs?
If you mean UK immigration...not necessarily because there's usually loads of EU people waiting to go through.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

Leave the US on the US passport and enter the UK on the British passport. If you enter on the US passport, you will be recordedin the UK as a US tourist... so no NHS (in theory)
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by cranners99
Leave the US on the US passport and enter the UK on the British passport. If you enter on the US passport, you will be recordedin the UK as a US tourist... so no NHS (in theory)
No NHS...except for emergency treatment...no matter what PP you enter the UK on. You must be a UK resident to qualify for NHS non emergency treatment.