Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Traveling on 2 Valid Passports? Quick Assistance Needed.

Traveling on 2 Valid Passports? Quick Assistance Needed.

Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

jeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud of
Exclamation Traveling on 2 Valid Passports? Quick Assistance Needed.

My husband, born a British Citizen, is now a Naturalized US Citizen.

He's traveling to the UK on Monday for a visit with family.

He has both a valid US Passport and a valid British Passport.

Can he use both Passports interchangeably while traveling? He would like to leave/enter the respective countries with ease using the valid passports for each.

We just want to know if there might be any problems with this.

Thanks for a speedy reply.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:10 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling on 2 Valid Passports? Quick Assistance Needed.

I don't think it is a problem.

He must enter the US on his US passport. That is a requirement of being a US Citizen. I don't think he will have a problem entering the UK on his UK passport either.

However, be sure to show the right one at the time of check-in to the airlines. They forward that info onto the USCIS so you don't want to show the UK one to the airlines and show up with the US one.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I don't think it is a problem.

He must enter the US on his US passport. That is a requirement of being a US Citizen. I don't think he will have a problem entering the UK on his UK passport either.

However, be sure to show the right one at the time of check-in to the airlines. They forward that info onto the USCIS so you don't want to show the UK one to the airlines and show up with the US one.
As I understand it, he must also leave the US on his US passport, as well as entering the US on it.

UK not so fussy - you can enter and leave on either; just make sure it's the same one both in and out.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:18 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
As I understand it, he must also leave the US on his US passport, as well as entering the US on it.

UK not so fussy - you can enter and leave on either; just make sure it's the same one both in and out.
Might be. I thought it depended on whether or not there was some formal exit check. I think some airports were (beta testing) checking passports on the way out, but not all.

Wasn't there a thread about this awhile ago? Not sure if there was a definitive answer on it though.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Might be. I thought it depended on whether or not there was some formal exit check. I think some airports were (beta testing) checking passports on the way out, but not all.

Wasn't there a thread about this awhile ago? Not sure if there was a definitive answer on it though.
Yes I think is a similar thread or two; again I'm not 100%, but I certainly would do nothing other both leave and enter on the US passport - similarly, in the UK, I'd want to leave and enter on one or the other. I think if you start mixing it up, you open the door for confusion and questioning, at the least.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 4:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Really very simple. When he checks in at the US airport he shows his US Passport. When he lands in the UK, he uses his UK passport.

When he checks in at the UK airport, he shows his US passport and uses the US one to enter the US.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
Really very simple. When he checks in at the US airport he shows his US Passport. When he lands in the UK, he uses his UK passport.

When he checks in at the UK airport, he shows his US passport and uses the US one to enter the US.
I stand corrected - logically thinking about it - Rete's way is the way.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

jeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud of

Hi Rete,

Good to see ya again.

Thanks for the info. This is what we thought, but we just weren't 100% sure.

XOXO

Jen
Old Oct 17th 2008, 5:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

At Heathrow Terminal 3 (probably the same at other UK exit points, but T3 is my only experience for the last many years) there is an immigration check after the security check, as you enter the departure lounge to wait for your flight. So, you show your US passport at airline checkin so that the airline knows you are eligible to enter the US (or, in my case, Canada, as I fly into Ottawa and immediately drive into the US.) But then you'll need to pull out your UK passport again to show to the immigration. If you show UK immigration your US passport, they WILL question you as you won't have an entry stamp.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 6:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I've had my passport checked many times in my travels to Germany (2), Switzerland, Austria and countless times to Canada. Never have they checked for an entry/exit stamp. They have only ever checked that I was the person to whom the passport was issued. Also the first time in Germany we didn't have our passports stamped so when I returned to the US, there was nothing in my passport indicating that I had been there for three weeks. Plus no stamps from Switzerland or Austria.

FTR I only use a passport to enter Canada. On the drive-thru, no entry stamp, but when I've flown, I've always have received an entry stamp.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 6:18 pm
Concierge

If asked for why then you tell them the truth. You entered your country as a citizen of that country and you are returned to your country of resident on their passport.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

Originally Posted by robin1234
If you show UK immigration your US passport, they WILL question you as you won't have an entry stamp.
Wouldn't you also be questioned if you showed them the UK passport and did not have a return flight to the UK booked? I know when I've gone through with my UK passport then they always look for my visa, and if one does as you suggest then you wouldn't have one and you'll have to explain things surely.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 6:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

At the US citizens oath ceremony we were told it is a legal requirement for all US citizens to leave and enter the US using a US PP. I enter the UK using my UK PP...I have heard UK citizens should use it when they leave the UK otherwise there is no record of you leaving the country. Saying that I always use my US PP because of the airlines' flight records.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 7:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamuearlJackson
Wouldn't you also be questioned if you showed them the UK passport and did not have a return flight to the UK booked? I know when I've gone through with my UK passport then they always look for my visa, and if one does as you suggest then you wouldn't have one and you'll have to explain things surely.
This is what happened to me on leaving Heathrow T3 a couple of weeks ago. I was returning to Ottawa after a one week holiday in England. (I live just over the border in New York State, so always fly into Ottawa or Montreal.)
Having just checked in at Air Canada using my US passport as ID, I forgetfully showed the UK Immigration official my US passport. She looked through every page of the passport, and finally asked me "Do you have another passport?" At this point, I fished out my UK passport and showed it to her. It was no problem, but it did indicate that she was actively looking in every foreign passport for a UK entry stamp.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 7:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

FTR I only use a passport to enter Canada. On the drive-thru, no entry stamp, but when I've flown, I've always have received an entry stamp.
This is my experience too. I've never had an entry stamp on entering Canada overland, but on entering at an airport, they always stamp my passport. But more than once the Canadian officer has asked me why I don't have UK entry and exit stamps in my US passport. At that point I explain I entered and exited the UK with my UK passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.