Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel Jobs?

Travel Jobs?

Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:36 pm
Going home at last

dragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to all
Default Re: Travel Jobs?

If you are a registered nurse you can work for a trave, nurse agency then you travel all over the USA on 12 week contracts and earn big bucks at the same time.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Malone
Right-o bro. I was halfway through my Secondary Ed degree when life happened and I hope to finish it soon. Still doesn't help me on the UK front though.

Actually, I don't know. I would love to teach in the UK but the OH says teachers there have high suicide rates.
They always need teachers in the UK and quite often recruit from abroad. Don't think I'd want to teach there though, maybe a cushy private school would be ok.

You could become a travel writer or journalist. I'd like Anthony Bourdain's job, although I wouldn't want to eat all the stuff he tries.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 6:54 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. I guess I need to figure out what I want to do. My original question was actually along the lines of, How many expats here have jobs that sent them to the US or would send them back to the UK, and what type of jobs are they?

After rethinking I have decided that I really don't think I would like a job that requires me to travel all over, because, like you mention, it isn't always to great places, and if it is, you don't have time to see them anyway. I want a job with lots of vacation time so I can travel with my family. I also want to live in the UK (though hubs probably disagrees there) and I think the only feasible way to move back is to have a job and flat beforehand and lots of cash for moving expenses. Since it will take us 10 years or more to save up a reasonable amount of cash to move on our own, wouldn't it be nice to work for a company that will pay you to move? Then there is no argument from Mr Sod because we will obviously not be destitute.

I'm really just thinking out loud here - none of this is in any kind of plan or preparation. I am always running crazy ideas through my head!

I work in publishing - most major publishers have a UK office. I used to work for a company that provided software to publishers and there was a lot of travel involved there (but nothing exotic). I got out of the travel by working directly for a publisher and now my business trips are to the main office in the UK once or twice a year. If you get into the marketing side then you get the London and Frankfurt book fairs to go to if you're lucky. You'd probably be screwed on the vacation time a bit but I do get more holidays than any other job I've had over here.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:45 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. I guess I need to figure out what I want to do. My original question was actually along the lines of, How many expats here have jobs that sent them to the US or would send them back to the UK, and what type of jobs are they? ........
If your long-term aim is to live in the UK, you might consider working for a company in the US which has a major presence in the UK; for instance get a trainee position once you have finished your degree, and hope that in time there'll be an opening for a transfer to their UK operation.

Marketing and market research companies come to mind, or big multi-nationals like pharmaceutical, petroleum, telecoms etc.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:08 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
If your long-term aim is to live in the UK, you might consider working for a company in the US which has a major presence in the UK; for instance get a trainee position once you have finished your degree, and hope that in time there'll be an opening for a transfer to their UK operation.

I think this is the best advice for moving anywhere--try to do so 'in house'. I think your chances of an expat package (i.e. travel assistances, housing allowance) are higher if you are doing this in house, and if you really end up liking the country you are moving to, you can search for another job while you are in country, rather than 'over the net'.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Marketing and market research companies come to mind, or big multi-nationals like pharmaceutical, petroleum, telecoms etc.
BoA will do that, but they won't give you a package for being a phleb, but they'll transfer you.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

IMO many US companies are cutting back on sending US employees on overseas assignments. Too costly for one thing. Or, if they do, the expat package is no way as generous pre-2001.

Also, you should focus on finishing your degree (Bachelors or Masters?) first. Get a very good degree and then more options for jobs will be available to you.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Molly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the responses!

I do need to finish my degree before any of this will be possible. Bachelor's degree, yes, I haven't even finished that yet, but financial hardships forced me to quit at an Associate's. Hopefully I can go back next year - we are really trying to bury our feet in the ground here (we're both kind of gypsy-ish) so I can go to school soon.

I have just been looking at websites for teaching in the UK. I found a forum and most of the teachers there are saying the "teacher shortage" is a myth and they are all looking for work. They say 2 or 3 hundred people regularly apply for one vacancy. This is major news to me...perhaps it will work out differently and I will end up staying in the states. At least I will still have summers off for travel.

Things change all the time though, and it may be another few years before I can finish. Like I said, thinking aloud really. All the responses gave me a lot to consider though, so thanks so much!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:01 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the responses!

I do need to finish my degree before any of this will be possible. Bachelor's degree, yes, I haven't even finished that yet, but financial hardships forced me to quit at an Associate's. Hopefully I can go back next year - we are really trying to bury our feet in the ground here (we're both kind of gypsy-ish) so I can go to school soon.

I have just been looking at websites for teaching in the UK. I found a forum and most of the teachers there are saying the "teacher shortage" is a myth and they are all looking for work. They say 2 or 3 hundred people regularly apply for one vacancy. This is major news to me...perhaps it will work out differently and I will end up staying in the states. At least I will still have summers off for travel.

Things change all the time though, and it may be another few years before I can finish. Like I said, thinking aloud really. All the responses gave me a lot to consider though, so thanks so much!

I thought the teachers looking for work were mainly primary teachers, at least that's how it was a few years ago - secondary is (or was) easier especially in key subjects like maths and the sciences.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I fly all around the US... which is almost like flying to different countries
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Since the Sod is a Brit, you shouldn't have a problem finding a job there. You can make a pretty decent living if you both work - and have all that lovely holiday time with which to explore the continent with.

I'm green with envy just thinking about it Had my kids way too young, but thankfully, they're nearly out of the house and then the boss and I can travel to our little hearts' content.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Join the Navy and see the world! And learn a trade while you're at it...
But FFS dont get married or have Kid's because they'll never see ya
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:36 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by britvic
But FFS dont get married or have Kid's because they'll never see ya
True. An online buddy of mine (gal) had 5 kids/stepkids and was posted to the other side of the world for an entire year when they were very small
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:25 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Okay all.

I've been wondering this for a long time. Do a lot of Brit expats here have occupations that allow them to travel all over, or back and forth to the UK, or did their employers transfer them here to the US? What kind of occupations are the best for getting in lots of travel?

I would love a career that allowed me to fly all over the world on a regular basis. It would also be great to work for a company that has offices in the US and the UK, and be able to transfer to whichever you wanted. How common is this really?
Please, someone offer her a job ha ha