Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Travel during COVID times while waiting for US passport

Travel during COVID times while waiting for US passport

Old Sep 21st 2020, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

BennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond reputeBennyBall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel during COVID times while waiting for US passport

That’s a good detailed reply, thanks Newacct. I’ve reread my state DMV website, that has been updated since I was last on there, they now confirm exactly what you have wrote on Real ID which is from next October, not this one, my mistake, we will require Real ID in some federal buildings and domestic airline travel.
so, we can rest easily that it’s not mandatory to obtain one but any future driving license renewal will be automatically Real ID .... I’m delighted to hear that I don’t need to go through the arduous process of an appointment and my dreaded DMV.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BennyBall
any future driving license renewal will be automatically Real ID .... I’m delighted to hear that I don’t need to go through the arduous process of an appointment and my dreaded DMV.
It will not automatically get converted to RealID. The whole point of RealID is that you have to have shown a bunch of different ID. There is no way to do this remotely/automatically, so you will have to go into the DMV at some point. I would suggest doing it well before next October, since that is when everyone else will be doing it.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BennyBall
That’s a good detailed reply, thanks Newacct. I’ve reread my state DMV website, that has been updated since I was last on there, they now confirm exactly what you have wrote on Real ID which is from next October, not this one, my mistake, we will require Real ID in some federal buildings and domestic airline travel.
so, we can rest easily that it’s not mandatory to obtain one but any future driving license renewal will be automatically Real ID .... I’m delighted to hear that I don’t need to go through the arduous process of an appointment and my dreaded DMV.
After October 2021 without a READ-ID driving licence you would have to show your passport/passport card together with your driving licence is travel within the US.

You have to apply for a REAL-ID driving licence; your current one won't be automatically upgraded to one.

You say that you have a passport card - you cannot fly internationally with a passport card.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

is it worth taking the risk and going through all that hassle - and risk - of being denied boarding because you have no US passport ? Can you not wait until post-virus to travel ? Or until you get a valid US travel document ?

Last edited by scot47; Sep 26th 2020 at 7:50 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 11:12 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
After October 2021 without a READ-ID driving licence you would have to show your passport/passport card together with your driving licence is travel within the US.

You have to apply for a REAL-ID driving licence; your current one won't be automatically upgraded to one.

You say that you have a passport card - you cannot fly internationally with a passport card.
why would you have to to show your DL as well if you have a passport card? If what you are saying is true anyone who can’t drive can’t fly anymore....
Old Sep 28th 2020, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

sjc200 is an unknown quantity at this point

Original Poster here - received my passport 9 weeks after visiting the Post Office.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
why would you have to to show your DL as well if you have a passport card? If what you are saying is true anyone who can’t drive can’t fly anymore....
Should have said it more clearly...... you won't be able to show just your (non REAL-ID) driving licence as proof of identity to travel internally in the US (as one can do now).

So if you don't drive, in the future you will need to show a passport card or passport
Old Sep 28th 2020, 4:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Should have said it more clearly...... you won't be able to show just your (non REAL-ID) driving licence as proof of identity to travel internally in the US (as one can do now).

So if you don't drive, in the future you will need to show a passport card or passport
I thought they had stopped that after 9/11. Thought everyone had to produce a PP in order to fly.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 6:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought they had stopped that after 9/11. Thought everyone had to produce a PP in order to fly.
Not for domestic flights.

Rene
Old Sep 28th 2020, 6:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Not for domestic flights.

Rene
Thanks. I knew you needed PP to fly internationally...obviously. But I thought after 9/11 it was required for internal flights. Perhaps that was for flights leaving the NYC/NJ...or perhaps it was the case nationally, but has reverted back to DLs.
Old Sep 28th 2020, 7:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know. I've flown domestically many times since 9/11 and have always used just my DL.

Rene
Old Sep 28th 2020, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't know. I've flown domestically many times since 9/11 and have always used just my DL.

Rene

....me too.....
Old Sep 28th 2020, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from anything else and regardless of your politics I would wait until the election. One thing is for sure there is a very significant chance of severe social upheaval, the likes of which have not been seen in the US for a very long time. It maybe nothing and everything progresses as normal, but there is a bigger change than ever before that it won't be that straightforward. At least you will know if you ever want to return to US after that has all cleared out!