Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

transportation of guinea pigs to usa

transportation of guinea pigs to usa

Old Aug 26th 2020, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: transportation of guinea pigs to usa

Originally Posted by SquirrelRat
Cunard are very helpful apparently, so it might be worth speaking to them. If they take cats and dogs I don't see why they wouldn't take gps.
It might also be a good idea to talk to the UK and US. national guinea pig clubs. They may have transported cavies to the US for breeding purposes ie new varieties. That's certainly the case with the rat club I belong to. And rats have been shipped from France to the U.S. in the cabin, so maybe try Air France.
Be aware that although the gps are certainly allowed to be moved UK to US , moving them in reverse is not possible without 6 months quarantine ie pet passports are only allowed for dogs, cats and ferrets.
FYI a guinea pig is not a rodent.
Originally Posted by civilservant
Uh, yes they are. They're of the order Rodentia.

As are your rats.

One would expect you would know that, being a member of a 'rat club' and all.
I just can't believe what I learn on BE

Originally Posted by scot47
Re-home the guinea pigs and get new ones when you arrive ?
Originally Posted by Pulaski
You make it sound like disposing of a kettle or TV.

Guinea pigs are engaging little animals, and I can't imagine just palming them off on somone else and "replacing" them on arrival in my new home (country).
I think I'd be more inclined to go with the re-homing option, myself!

Originally Posted by sid nv
Not really alike, as guinea pigs do not have the same electrical compatibility issues as those appliances.
Although the GPs expectations may well change on arrival in the US. They will want a bigger cage and three instead of one hamster wheels.

Funniest thing I've read all year! Thank you!
Old Aug 26th 2020, 4:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv
Not really alike, as guinea pigs do not have the same electrical compatibility issues as those appliances. .....
I think ours are battery powered, but I will need to check with little Miss P.
..... Although the GPs expectations may well change on arrival in the US. They will want a bigger cage and three instead of one hamster wheels. ....
And steak dinners three times a week, and a V8 engine in their wheelie toy.
...... This article suggests that AA and United allow guinea pigs in the cabin: ....
The airlines might allow them, but the problem is that the UK regs don't allow animals in the cabin flying into or out of the UK.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

3 wheels?

On your wagon?
Old Aug 26th 2020, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

love the little noises GP's make.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
love the little noises GP's make.
When you sit on them?

I did have GP's when I was a kid and they were cute. Don't remember their noise, though!

I don't recall now; are they often varied in color / pattern, or are they somewhat uniform in color? If somewhat uniform, I would surreptitiously find a set of replacement GPs in the target location (using friends or agents in the new country), and construct an elaborate scheme to have the new GPs magically appear at the other end when we arrived, so as to fool the kids into thinking they were the same ones that we left with. Obviously a plan with plenty of opportunities for failure ... sounds like the plot of a bad movie ...
Old Aug 26th 2020, 9:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
When you sit on them?

I did have GP's when I was a kid and they were cute. Don't remember their noise, though! ....
They make a bewildering array of noises - squeaks, snuffles, a whistle, as well as a distinclty grunting-like noise, perhaps where the "pigs" in their name came from.
.....I don't recall now; are they often varied in color / pattern, or are they somewhat uniform in color? If somewhat uniform, I would surreptitiously find a set of replacement GPs in the target location (using friends or agents in the new country), and construct an elaborate scheme to have the new GPs magically appear at the other end when we arrived, so as to fool the kids into thinking they were the same ones that we left with. Obviously a plan with plenty of opportunities for failure ... sounds like the plot of a bad movie ...
They come in a variety of colours - white, black, brown, and an orangy-cinamon colour, and an infinite number of asymetric patterns that can be anything from one whole, even colour, to a mottled pattern of all four colours. Then they can be short-haired ("normal"), long-haired, or have rosettes (fur grows in rosette-like circles, rather than growing all leaning from nose to tail. ...... The chances of you finding matching, or even plausibly similar guinea pigs to ones you already have, not to mention finding them wowned by a willing seller, has to be astronomically small.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 26th 2020 at 9:58 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 11:00 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

There are even hairless ones. They're called 'skinny pigs' rather originally.

They make a bewildering array of noises - squeaks, snuffles, a whistle, as well as a distinclty grunting-like noise, perhaps where the "pigs" in their name came from
You missed the 'wheek' which is pretty much their signature sound.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by civilservant
There are even hairless ones. They're called 'skinny pigs' rather originally.

You missed the 'wheek' which is pretty much their signature sound.
I hear they are a culinary delicacy in Peru. Perhaps that idea could open up various options to pursue .... (anything from ... 'eat them' to 'see if Peru ships them worldwide and see if that leads to any insight')

https://www.eatperu.com/eating-cuy-g...vian-delicacy/
Old Aug 27th 2020, 5:26 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I hear they are a culinary delicacy in Peru. Perhaps that idea could open up various options to pursue .... (anything from ... 'eat them' to 'see if Peru ships them worldwide and see if that leads to any insight')

https://www.eatperu.com/eating-cuy-g...vian-delicacy/
I think the Peruvian ones are bigger than the usual pet type of cavy.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In Peru they were traditionally kept as a source of edible protein. There is an idea/
Old Aug 27th 2020, 6:20 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
In Peru they were traditionally kept as a source of edible protein. There is an idea/
Much the same as rabbits used to be in the UK.