Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transport of belongings - UK to IL, USA

Transport of belongings - UK to IL, USA

Old Sep 10th 2015, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

statesmeup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transport of belongings - UK to IL, USA

I'm looking into the transportation of mine and my wife's belongings from the UK to the States. Due to the fact that we have very few (7 boxes in total, 190kg, around 30 feet^3) shipping seems infeasible because they generally start at 100 feet^3 and their prices reflect that. I've not found many air freight companies, but what I have found is that general UPS global express shipping of our boxes is both considerably cheaper than shipping, but also much faster (2 days as opposed to 12 weeks).

However, with this comes the issues with filling out customs forms. Because they're all personal belongings I'm trying to find the correct commodity code to use (I think from my searches it should be 95050000, but correct me if I'm wrong), but also declare it's customs value. Because they're personal belongings my guess is that their customs value is nothing, as we're not selling anything, but I'm a little confused on the export situation here. If anyone could shed some light on this that would be great.

Would anyone have any other suggestions on how we'd go about moving our items from A to B? Not many companies I've come across offer air freight, which we'd prefer as 12 weeks is absurd. I think UPS is the way to go, but I'm worried about getting caught out with export charges/issues. Anyone done this before?
Old Sep 10th 2015, 5:33 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transport of belongings - UK to IL, USA

Have you tried asking UPS. Would of thought they would know the answers as to what paperwork is needed to be able to ship the stuff.

ETA: One thing to watch out for shipping personal stuff duty free. You have to already be in the US when the boxes clear customs. If I remember correctly the custom forms will ask for your travel details to the US.

Last edited by lansbury; Sep 10th 2015 at 5:36 pm.