Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring UK pension to US 401K!

Transferring UK pension to US 401K!

Old Jan 22nd 2013, 2:53 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring UK pension to US 401K!

Originally Posted by Boiler
So why is the State Pension not reportable and all? others are?
Don't know, but it isn't until you start getting it, then you have to report them to SSA for possible WEP and of course figure out the tax situation using the treaty.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 12:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Successfully transferring UK pension to US 401K??

Originally Posted by taipan624
Their is no reasonable explanation why a UK Ex Pat should not be able to transfer their Pension Investments. The Inland Revenue will allow it tax free but the IRS puts up an illogical barrier by saying UK Pensions Investments do not qualify.Yet investments in a 401k are made exactly the same as into a British Pension.
For what it's worth I don't think the Inland Revenue will ever agree so long as it is possible to get money out of a 401k before retirement. That is a fundamental rule of British personal pensions and they don't want people moving money around to circumvent that rule. Also I suspect that having given you a tax break on your contributions, they'd like the opportunity to levy some taxes when you start drawing income.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:22 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taipan624 View Post
Yet investments in a 401k are made exactly the same as into a British Pension.
This is obvioulsy not the case, there are different deferal amounts and withdrawal rules for a start. Also the wide range of different plans in both rthe US and the UK would be complicated to reconcile.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

chester good is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just done a quick search and found this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pensionschemes/qrops.pdf. It is a new list of recognized QROPS plans, including the US. Good luck...I'll be looking into this soon too so let us know how it turns out.

Originally Posted by True.2.form
Hi,

Does anyone have any positive experience with transferring their pension from the United Kingdom to an America 401K scheme?

I'm in the process of trying to succeed with this!

I am British and my wife is American, we live in Washington State.

When speaking with my UK pension broker they have explained that in order to transfer my plan to the US I have to find a Qualifying Recognized Overseas Pension Scheme or QROPS.

My wife's 401K is with Fidelity Investment and having spoken with them I've been told they are not able to oblige, citing UK/US policy and exchange rates being problematic.

I am positive this CAN be achieved but the method to this madness is something I have not figured out yet. Unlike the US, the UK will not permit policy holders to distribute part or all of their funds (even with high penalties) until retirement age, so its not as if I can even liquidate it and then transfer the funds overseas.

Nor will, from what I can gather, existing US 401K providers allow a husband to incorporate theirs with a wife's current policy.

Can anyone provide some hope here? - internet searches do provide sites with companies allegedly being able to help but they seem less than legally legitimate

Many thanks,

P
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:53 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chester good
I've just done a quick search and found this link: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pensionschemes/qrops.pdf. It is a new list of recognized QROPS plans, including the US. Good luck...I'll be looking into this soon too so let us know how it turns out.
Those US plans are compnay 401ks etc and have probably registered a QROPS for the benefit of their employees. If you can find an IRA that is a QROPS let us know. I won't be holding my breath.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do let us know, we need a guinea pig.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chester good
I'll be looking into this soon too so let us know how it turns out.
The person to whom you're responding, hasn't posted on BE since June 2012... and hasn't posted in this thread for over a year. I wouldn't hold my breath for a response.

Ian
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:56 am
Just Joined

DanHall1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there,

i was searching for exactly the same topic and came across this forum.
Lived in UK for 10 years and have my pension fund there.
Been in US for 6 years hence, and am now getting around to wanting to transfer the funds to a QROPS scheme.
ill call the funds listed in the latest "approved" list.
...not much hope though.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 10:54 am
Just Joined

mrs_m_goldsmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Transferring UK pension to US 401K!

There is an online article called 'expat guide to the USA' which, at the very end of the article gives this link to QROPS that are recognised by HMRC

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pensionschemes/qrops.pdf

It says the list was updated on 15-Mar-2013

Happy hunting!

-Michelle G
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:59 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mrs_m_goldsmith
There is an online article called 'expat guide to the USA' which, at the very end of the article gives this link to QROPS that are recognised by HMRC

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pensionschemes/qrops.pdf

It says the list was updated on 15-Mar-2013

Happy hunting!

-Michelle G
This list is of no use to US residents.....you need a list that is both HMRC AND IRS approved.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Last month, I contacted the company who hold my 401k/403B, as they are on the QROP list but they pretty much said a transfer couldn't be done from my UK company pensions.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

mrs_m_goldsmith is an unknown quantity at this point

The list wasn't meant for US residents. I thought the original poster was resident in the UK and wanted to transfer a UK pension to the US. At the end of the list there are about a dozen US companies that are listed by HMRC as being QPROPs. Just trying to be helpful . . .
Old Mar 25th 2013, 3:42 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The list wasn't meant for US residents. I thought the original poster was resident in the UK and wanted to transfer a UK pension to the US.

The third line of the OP says "We live in Washington State".
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:46 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

The list wasn't meant for US residents. I thought the original poster was resident in the UK and wanted to transfer a UK pension to the US. At the end of the list there are about a dozen US companies that are listed by HMRC as being QPROPs. Just trying to be helpful . . .
I appreciate that you were posting information to be helpful, but the US schemes listed are not available to the general public.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

powersmurf is an unknown quantity at this point

I have moved to the US and tried to transfer my Police pension over here. When I opened the account with Fidelity I was told I can transfer it over. The sales person got it wrong and I have now been told I can not transfer it.

From posting in the Police forum someone transferred their pension from the UK to Canada because that is where they moved. Now this is going to sound really silly but although I have moved to the US can I transfer it to Canada? I can not cash it out in the UK so need to transfer it somewhere. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.