Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring savings to UK. Tax on currency exchanges?

Transferring savings to UK. Tax on currency exchanges?

Old Jan 16th 2016, 9:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring savings to UK. Tax on currency exchanges?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Might" indeed, but I doubt it unless it is part of a regular and substantial pattern of back and forth movements.
I'm guessing from that comment you have never been audited.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Disenchanted
So let's say you transfer $100K at $1.30/£1.00 and ignoring transfer fees you would have £76,923 in your UK bank. Now, doing your taxes and filing FACTA and FBAR you use the IRS's exchange rate to value your UK funds, but the IRS rate happens to be $1.50/£1.00 and now your UK funds are worth $115,384 so, you have an income in the year of transfer of $15,384 and I'm fairly sure the IRS will be expecting you to pay taxes on that gain as it's part of your WORLDWIDE income irrespective of whether you move it back to the US or not.

This then also begs the question, if there is a drop in the value of your UK funds in the following year do you get to take that loss in to account when you file your US taxes???
You have no Sec988 gain until you transfer the funds back to the US. You do report any "interest" made on the funds on deposit during the year on 1040. You report the balance on 31 Dec. using the Treasury rate on FBAR and 8938.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
You only pay tax on the gain (or can offset against it, in the case of a loss) when you actually realise the gain, i.e. transfer into the other currency.
You may think you've made a loss, but that loss does not exist for IRS purposes. You cannot use that loss on a Sec988 transfer to offset any other gain. Heads, the IRS wins; tails, the IRS wins.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lansbury
If you transfer it to the UK and leave it there as Owen778 says that is it, no tax due, other than on any interest earned as you say. You would only be liable for tax if you moved it back and gained on the exchange rate.
+1
Old Jan 16th 2016, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Ms Moore is a splendid one to beholdMs Moore is a splendid one to beholdMs Moore is a splendid one to beholdMs Moore is a splendid one to beholdMs Moore is a splendid one to beholdMs Moore is a splendid one to beholdMs Moore is a splendid one to beholdMs Moore is a splendid one to beholdMs Moore is a splendid one to beholdMs Moore is a splendid one to beholdMs Moore is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by theOAP
You have no Sec988 gain until you transfer the funds back to the US. You do report any "interest" made on the funds on deposit during the year on 1040. You report the balance on 31 Dec. using the Treasury rate on FBAR and 8938.

Based on this response () as long as I have no intention of transferring it back to USA, i won't pay additional US taxes.

thank you for taking the time, I did briefly look at Sec988, but it was a bit over my head - However the section specifically for personal transactions does seem to agree with your answer. So I will go with that.

Relating to HMRC - apologies as I have already asked this question in my original post. Transferring such a large amount to my UK account, will the currency exchange transaction result in UK taxes being owed? I am not resident in the UK, and my small UK income is way less than the personal allowance, so I don't currently file a self assessment.

Thanks again your time in responding.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 10:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ms Moore
..... Relating to HMRC - apologies as I have already asked this question in my original post. Transferring such a large amount to my UK account, will the currency exchange transaction result in UK taxes being owed? ....
See post #2, above.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

I found this article which helps explain, and it looks like a currency gain is taxed when you convert it back, so my presumption that the IRS will tax you appears to be incorrect. Of course, that might change at any moment in time depending on what little extra rule is burried in the next Patriot Act/Returning Heroes Act that Obama or the next President signs.

https://www.quora.com/Foreign-curren...xed-by-the-IRS

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I think I've heard that starting in 2017 UK Banks will start issuing 1099-INT's to US customers. (Part of the FATCA implementation)
So now the US Dept of Treasury is forcing the expense of providing docs only required by them on the rest of the banking world.
So arrogant. Maybe those banks will start charging for those 1099-INT's too.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

So now the US Dept of Treasury is forcing the expense of providing docs only required by them on the rest of the banking world.
So arrogant. Maybe those banks will start charging for those 1099-INT's too.
I believe it is the IRS that requires this, the Treasury only wants the highest balances reported and are not interested in the taxable interest that the IRS is after.

It will actually make things a little easier for many like myself who have to create 1099-INT's for UK banks that we get interest from. The banks are going to have to do something similar for UK only customers now that they won't be doing PAYE and customers who receive a total of more than 1,000 GBP interest from all their accounts are expected to do a self assessment (from what I heard on MoneyBox the other week)
Old Jan 17th 2016, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it is the IRS that requires this, the Treasury only wants the highest balances reported and are not interested in the taxable interest that the IRS is after.
Does the IRS not belong to the Department of the Treasury???

customers who receive a total of more than 1,000 GBP interest from all their accounts are expected to do a self assessment (from what I heard on MoneyBox the other week)
I thought I read somewhere that no UK tax will be due on the first £1000 of interest in order to promote people saving more money?
Old Jan 17th 2016, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Does the IRS not belong to the Department of the Treasury???

I thought I read somewhere that no UK tax will be due on the first £1000 of interest in order to promote people saving more money?
You are correct, the IRS is a part of the Treasury, it is just two different places that one must report to, income to the IRS, and bank accounts' totals to the Treasury. (Actually the Financial Criminal Enforcement Network, FINCEN, these days)

As I say above banks will pay ALL interest gross and it is the taxpayer's responsibility to keep track of this and pay tax on any interest if the total is over £1000. One may have several bank accounts paying interest and if the total is above £1000 then the taxes have to be filed. Not a problem for most in this low interest environment.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 12:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I found this article which helps explain, and it looks like a currency gain is taxed when you convert it back, so my presumption that the IRS will tax you appears to be incorrect. Of course, that might change at any moment in time .....
That's really not possible. Buying foreign (non-US) currency is no different from buying land, shares, gold bullion or anh other asset. Buying the asset has no tax consequence, other than to establish the acquisition cost of the asset. The taxable gain crystallizes when you sell the asset. .... So merely acquiring foreign currency can't crystallize a gain.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 18th 2016 at 12:59 am.