Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring money - anyone tried these guys?

Wikiposts

Transferring money - anyone tried these guys?

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transferring money - anyone tried these guys?

A colleague mentioned http://www.currencyfair.com/ to me. I had a brief look and it seems a smart idea. Before i trust them with any of my hard earned cash, i was wondering if anyone had used them already?
Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of
Default Re: Transferring money - anyone tried these guys?

Originally Posted by newadventure
A colleague mentioned http://www.currencyfair.com/ to me. I had a brief look and it seems a smart idea. Before i trust them with any of my hard earned cash, i was wondering if anyone had used them already?
Thanks
Have used XE.com for years - never had a problem; rates seem good.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 3:27 am
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

my husbands bank told us to use paypal - seemed to work ok but took ages
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
my husbands bank told us to use paypal - seemed to work ok but took ages
The bank's rates are worse than PayPal? As of now, the exchange rate GBP>USD is 1.54 for PayPal, 1.58 for XE, 1.5422 for Lloyds TSB. That's a $40 difference per £1000 transferred comparing PayPal to XE. PayPal also have a variable fee for currency conversions on top of the exchange rate - I haven't quite worked it out, but sometimes I get charged pittance, other times it's not insignificant. And as for banks, many/most charge either inbound or outbound wire fees (eg Lloyds TSB £15 outbound; Wells Fargo inbound $15).

As for currencyfair, never heard of them, sorry.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Currencyfair giving 1.579 at the moment. Do XE add charges on top, or are they included in the exchange rate?
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Currencyfair giving 1.579 at the moment. Do XE add charges on top, or are they included in the exchange rate?
Not bad: got 1.5686 about an hour ago but that includes all charges.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:33 am
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what the bank were going to charge but I transferred £3,065 out of my bank account into paypal and $4,600 went into my husbands account. and the only fee listed in paypal was $5, but it took 7 days within paypal and a few more days to clear through his bank.

Not sure how it compares - we were in a rush so I didn't have a huge amount of time to investigate, but hopefully the figures above will help you with your investigation.

Since then a friend recommended RationalFX, which he uses to get his £s to Euros in France, and someone else has used World First for £s to Dollars and both were happy with them.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm not sure what the bank were going to charge but I transferred £3,065 out of my bank account into paypal and $4,600 went into my husbands account. and the only fee listed in paypal was $5, but it took 7 days within paypal and a few more days to clear through his bank.

Not sure how it compares - we were in a rush so I didn't have a huge amount of time to investigate, but hopefully the figures above will help you with your investigation.

Since then a friend recommended RationalFX, which he uses to get his £s to Euros in France, and someone else has used World First for £s to Dollars and both were happy with them.
Transfer from my UK bank to XE: same day using FPS. XE confirm transaction: they wire the money as soon as they have my money to the US bank. That then shows in my account within a day or so. No other charges. Has to be the quickest and easiest way though I'm sure other Forex sites will have a similar system.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

No additional fees with XE.

1.50 - but as we don't know exactly when it was, there's nothing to compare it to. If you used £3065 at today's rates, he would have got over $100 extra if he used XE instead of PayPal.