Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current UK Passport renewal times?

Current UK Passport renewal times?

Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Scouser_in_Georgia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Current UK Passport renewal times?

Hi -

Can anyone give me an idea about current UK passport renewal times from the US? I see that the website says about 4 weeks, but I gather that there were substantial delays a while back (2011?) Have these now been resolved, or is the process still very slow?

I'm looking to go back home for a week around 16th March, and just realised that my current UK Passport expires in early March. I'll get the renewal sent off today.

So, if anyone could tell me about a recent experience renewing a passport (how long it took), I'd be grateful for the insight!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 2:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current UK Passport renewal times?

It's not Christmas or the summer holidays, so probably will be very quick.

If the passport is valid when you fly over, why not organise a same day renewal in the UK, if you're anywhere near one of the processing locations as it would be a lot cheaper.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 3:17 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

If the passport is valid when you fly over, why not organise a same day renewal in the UK, if you're anywhere near one of the processing locations as it would be a lot cheaper.
That's what I did last year in London. Same day service and much cheaper.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

It's not though (according to the OP). Might be worth going over earlier (if possible) so that the passport can be used and then renewed.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 11:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It's not though (according to the OP). Might be worth going over earlier (if possible) so that the passport can be used and then renewed.
Errr...

"I'm looking to go back home for a week around 16th March, and just realised that my current UK Passport expires in early March"

That's why I asked how early it expires.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:49 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Errr...

"I'm looking to go back home for a week around 16th March, and just realised that my current UK Passport expires in early March"

Thanks for the reminder, Dd's UK passport expires early march too. So expensive!
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Scouser_in_Georgia is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info!

I wasn't aware that you could still get a passport in a day in the UK, so I investigated your suggestion and was pleased to see this is still the case.

One of the (many) advantages about the great city of Liverpool, of course, is the Passport Office in the India Buildings down by the Pier Head!

I think I'll move my travel dates a bit, fly out early when the passport is still valid and then renew it when I'm home visiting my family.

Stupid question: will the airline give me grief about flying to the UK on a British passport with only one day left before it expires, or will this not be a problem for a British citizen boarding a flight to Britain?

Thanks again for the helpful replies - I'm pleased I found this forum!
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 6:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Scouser_in_Georgia
Stupid question: will the airline give me grief about flying to the UK on a British passport with only one day left before it expires, or will this not be a problem for a British citizen boarding a flight to Britain?
They won't give a shit. You're a UK citizen flying to the UK.

You can enter the UK on an expired passport too, but the issue with that is getting on the plane in the first case in that instance.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Errr...

Er....the OP told us when the PP expires..."early March" which is obviously *before* s/he plans to fly out on March 16th (which obviously isn't early March).