Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring money

Transferring money

Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Transferring money

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't use XE but from what others have said they charge a flat rate of $10...my bank charge $20...also XE are supposed to give a better exchange rate. If I transfer money from the US to the UK or Canada it usually takes 24/48 hours....I believe XE takes about 5 days...so factor in 2/3 days loss of interest.
It is free to the US unless you do a same day payment. Otherwise it takes 4 working days.

Paying back to the UK is more likely to cost money unless you can get someone to pay in a cheque for you
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:42 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cats_pawn
Hello
I'm curious.
I have checked several forums regarding funds being transferred from overseas to US, and it seems like most posters DO NOT use their banks, but use a service like XE.
I'm not clear on why?
I called Wachovia Bank, as an example, and was told for someone to transfer fund from overseas into my US bank account costs $15.00, no matter what the amount of the transfer. (and currency converson fees , I was told, were included in that $15 fee) I was very clear and asked them several times, what other fees could I be charged, and that was all they said.
I have yet to hear from Washington Mutual regarding their fees, but it's probably low as well.
These services who specialize in transferring funds, seem, to be much more expensive.

I understand if money is transferred to your bank account, you are then going to have to explain to IRS,pay taxes on,etc. but I imagine wire transfers using other methods also inform the US also, yes? no ?
I'm not putting down the other service, simply trying to understand.

I also want to know, what things should I be aware of when giving information for the wire transfer from overseas to make sure no additional fees are charged to me. ( banks did not give me any information here , simply said it's a possibility)
I just wanted to know what things to inform the other party who is sending funds so I can be sure to tell them what to do so as to not incurr fees on my end.
Any and all help appreciated.
For many people it's not about the fees, it's about the extent to which the exchange rate is loaded. HiFX, xe etc. always seem to offer better rates than high street banks according to reports on here. And the more you transfer, the more important this is. Unless you do lots and lots of small transactions a $15 fee here and there becomes irrelevant.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

it seems like most posters DO NOT use their banks, but use a service like XE.
I'm not clear on why?
I called Wachovia Bank, as an example, and was told for someone to transfer fund from overseas into my US bank account costs $15.00, no matter what the amount of the transfer. (and currency converson fees , I was told, were included in that $15 fee)
It's not just a case of whether there are bank charges, it's a case of the exchange rate you are offered. One bank might charge you £15 for the transaction but give you $1.95 to the pound whereas another entity may charge you £20 but give you $1.98 - and on a big transaction that really adds up.

UKForex who advertise on this forum can approve you electronically now and give rates even better than XE. For example, as I type this post UKForex are offering me rates about 1c lower than the actual exchange rate.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Actual exchange rate of who because there isn't just one!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Actual exchange rate of who because there isn't just one!
When most people refer to exchange rate they are referring to the spot rate that banks by and sell to eachother...obviously its an otc market (i.e. no centralised exchange as with stocks and futures) but I'd say most people would base 'the exchange rate' on what they see in the financial pages...which is usually taken from Reuters or some other data provider, so it i suppose it'd be more accurate to say that he was offered 1 cent off of the spot rate.....[/pedantic]
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

tonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of light

XE Trade was great for me, I transfered over 100k in the end, I had to break it up into 4 installments though, but only cause Natwest were being a pain, if its a smaller amount you can pay it from your uk bank as if its a bill I believe, fairly simple, just phone up xetrade, they will give you a demo and step you through it.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
I'm curious.
I have checked several forums regarding funds being transferred from overseas to US, and it seems like most posters DO NOT use their banks, but use a service like XE.
I'm not clear on why?
Quite simple - good rates/no extra fees, and convenience. Rates/no fees speak for themselves, convenience once you've got it set up is awesome. A few clicks, you are done within 30 seconds, no calls to make, no hanging on the phone, no paperwork hassle like with using your UK bank. Easy as.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

(and currency converson fees , I was told, were included in that $15 fee)
Complete and utter bollocks.

Last edited by Dan725; Apr 26th 2008 at 12:33 am.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:55 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
OK, my company have told me that it looks like I'll be able to move to NYC in late feb, early march. They have said that my annual bonus will be paid in £'s though, so I will then have to transfer it across to my as yet to be created US bank account. I will also want to bring across some savings with me. By the time I've paid UK income tax and paid off a rather large credit card bill, I think I should be moving across roughly £10k over to the USA. What is the best way of doing this. I've heard about people usign XE, but I read that they were unreliable. I've also heard that it might be a good idea to get a bank acocunt with someone like Citi who have a presence in both the US and UK and who may let me maintain accounts in both countries and make it easier to transfer money.....anyone done this? Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks!
I move money from the Uk to the USA using XE and have done so for many years

I have never incurred a charge and have always been satisfied
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:04 am
HBN
Just Joined

HBN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pejpm1
time I've paid UK income tax and paid off a rather large credit card bill, I think I should be moving across roughly £10k over to the USA. What is the best way of doing this. I've heard about people usign XE, but I read that they were unreliable. I've also heard that it might be a good idea to get a bank acocunt with someone like Citi who have a presence in both the US and UK and who may let me maintain accounts in both countries and make it easier to transfer money.....anyone done this? Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks!
I use moneybookers.com since 4 years. It works even for transfers to Nepal. I would stay clear of Paypal. Have own experience with these dudes. And they are expensive.
Old May 4th 2008, 3:46 pm
Banned

Anthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud ofAnthony919 has much to be proud of

The process to open a XE account is quite involved administratively and will take a little while to set it up.

Once it is setup though, the process works quickly and easily and the only question is the rate that you get. The site is easy to use and I've not had any problem whatsoever using them.

I've not used UK Forex, but might try them if their rates are better.