Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring inheritance from UK

Transferring inheritance from UK

Old May 11th 2016, 12:15 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring inheritance from UK

It's mostly related to tax issues, but in case it's of any use to you, I got a lot of good info on here at the time - http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...-taxes-709061/
Old May 11th 2016, 1:41 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Do you have any recommendations? (PM if necessary).

All the big name banks require minimum balances of £50k or £100k or £100k+ salaries.

Any problems with opening an account and closing it again within weeks?
I opened a current account at Lloyds in Douglas, IoM when I was in a similar situation to you. Minimum balance on that account is now £25k. I simply opened the account with zero balance, and no monthly fee, on the basis that I was awaiting the money from the solicitor, which in the event took many months of waiting. I'm not sure how many other banks have the current account (many banks operate there, but mostly savings or investment type accounts.) Lloyds have been pretty good to deal with.
Old May 11th 2016, 3:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Is the solicitor also the executor?

I'd have thought it would be just as easy for them to transfer through a currency broker as it would be to pay it into a UK bank account, but if they refuse, do you have family in the UK who would be willing to have the money paid into their account and then transfer it to you?
That may not be possible depending on the laws of the State it is going to. Oregon, for example, only license UK currency brokers to transfer from a UK account in the persons name to a US account in the same name. World First have/had a copy of all their licenses on their web site, 47 if I remember correctly.

Last edited by lansbury; May 11th 2016 at 3:17 pm.
Old May 13th 2016, 2:41 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You can open an account on the IoM with Nationwide, it's pretty easy.

The snag with opening accounts from abroad is that they won't give you a debit card. At least I haven't found one that would. Not really an issue if you're using it for forex.
Old May 13th 2016, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

The snag with opening accounts from abroad is that they won't give you a debit card. At least I haven't found one that would. Not really an issue if you're using it for forex.
But only savings accounts, I think.
Old May 13th 2016, 12:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

Yes, Lloyds gives one (i.e. the U.S. resident) a debit/atm card. The Lloyds IoM current account acts precisely like a domestic UK current account with all the features you'd expect. I moved back to England in spring 2015, and the Lloyds IoM current account was fine for all normal UK banking needs. (I finally opened a regular UK account a couple of months ago.)
Old May 13th 2016, 12:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
But only savings accounts, I think.
Yeah, I have a savings account with Nationwide IoM. It is VERY restrictive (or secure.) Transfers out can only be made to one, predesignated, bank account, in the same name as the Nationwide account holder. So the account is really only useful as a place to park ££.
Old May 13th 2016, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I opened a current account at Lloyds in Douglas, IoM when I was in a similar situation to you. Minimum balance on that account is now £25k. I simply opened the account with zero balance, and no monthly fee, on the basis that I was awaiting the money from the solicitor, which in the event took many months of waiting. I'm not sure how many other banks have the current account (many banks operate there, but mostly savings or investment type accounts.) Lloyds have been pretty good to deal with.
I'm not sure if this is still possible. They have two international current accounts but neither seems to accept US residents.