Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring cash back to the UK

Transferring cash back to the UK

Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:53 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transferring cash back to the UK

Hello folks

This is my first post so please be gentle with me.

Anyway I move out here mid-July time and have somehow been able to save a bit of cash up (not having a pub or bookies on the street corner over here might have something to do with that ).
I'd like to shift some of this back to the UK where I still have bills, etc coming out of my bank account. My bank over here is Citibank and by the time you factor in their charges for a wire transfer, their lovely spread on the exchange rate and then my UK bank's fee for accepting the transfer its going to cost me about 10% of the amount I want to transfer, and quite simply I'm not giving those greedy b*st*rds that much cash for doing very little.

Are there any other cheap and reliable methods of transferring cash to the UK. Had a look at a few websites, but some look decidely dodgy and others charge as much as Citibank would anyway.

Many thanks in advance
dg
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:03 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transferring cash back to the UK

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Hello folks

Anyway I move out here mid-July time and have somehow been able to save a bit of cash up (not having a pub or bookies on the street corner over here might have something to do with that ).
I'd like to shift some of this back to the UK where I still have bills, etc coming out of my bank account. My bank over here is Citibank and by the time you factor in their charges for a wire transfer, their lovely spread on the exchange rate and then my UK bank's fee for accepting the transfer its going to cost me about 10% of the amount I want to transfer, and quite simply I'm not giving those greedy b*st*rds that much cash for doing very little.

Are there any other cheap and reliable methods of transferring cash to the UK. Had a look at a few websites, but some look decidely dodgy and others charge as much as Citibank would anyway.

Many thanks in advance
dg

I moved a small amount of cash over when I came to the US and I don't remember getting hit with big charges. I think I used the Halifax - so maybe they will be cheap the other way around?
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:03 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Hello folks

Many thanks in advance
dg
Might be easier just finding a good pub and a bookie. Can't be that hard.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:17 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Hello folks

Are there any other cheap and reliable methods of transferring cash to the UK. Had a look at a few websites, but some look decidely dodgy and others charge as much as Citibank would anyway.dg

www.xe.com no more to be said
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:23 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Are the reputable enough and easy to use.
Interestingly I use their converter a bit but I didn't realise that they provided services to individuals.

This could be a great shout. Thanks
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:28 pm
freecybermag

You could always use Paypal. That's what I do.

Regards

Chris

Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:35 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Are the reputable enough and easy to use.
Interestingly I use their converter a bit but I didn't realise that they provided services to individuals.

This could be a great shout. Thanks
https://www.xe.com/fx/

used it for years, everything from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:41 pm
Thinking about it

Cheers folks.
Thanks for the quick answers.

Have looked into paypal, but credit card fees make it a tad expensive.
With xe it looks like I can get within less than 1% of spot so that's the way to go.

Good luck
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:46 pm

Is there anything to stop you from transferring back and forth to coincide with currency fluctuations?
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:48 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Is there anything to stop you from transferring back and forth to coincide with currency fluctuations?
Doesn't look like it. Not sure what limits they set on the amounts you can shift and to be honest I'll wouldn't fancy doing anything involving extremely large sums of cash on the net. I'll start off with $1k on this site and see how it goes.

I'll post the results on here but it might take a few weeks.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed but they are a total pain in the ass to set up with the dumb ass phone interview that must be done from your home phone - I gave up and still use Wells Fargo which is quicker (24 hours) but costs $20 more - exchange rate is acceptable
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:51 pm

Doesn't look like it. Not sure what limits they set on the amounts you can shift and to be honest I'll wouldn't fancy doing anything involving extremely large sums of cash on the net. I'll start off with $1k on this site and see how it goes.

I'll post the results on here but it might take a few weeks.

I'd be interested to know. The idea always sounded too good to be true, so I haven't tried yet.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 10:02 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Agreed but they are a total pain in the ass to set up with the dumb ass phone interview that must be done from your home phone - I gave up and still use Wells Fargo which is quicker (24 hours) but costs $20 more - exchange rate is acceptable

I didn't have that - maybe its a new thing (or you have something to hide )

anyway, even if you do have an interview, it must be a one-off thing
Old Oct 17th 2005, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

when you use xe.com do you have it wired to your bank in the UK and if so can you check what exchange rate they give you at your bank........or do you buy pounds off xe.com then send pounds......we wired some money once and the charges for converting into pounds killed us......cheers
Old Oct 17th 2005, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo

they have to jump through these hoops because of regulations - its easier for Wells as they are a traditional branch bank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.