Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transatlantic Travel with a Baby

Transatlantic Travel with a Baby

Old Mar 28th 2012, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future
Default Re: Transatlantic Travel with a Baby

Flew over with my two small boys (2 & 3yrs old) last year - an hour into the flight my youngest barfed his milk heavily and extensively all over the place - stank like hell but cleared 3 seats around us so we had room to spread out a bit.

He was ok - just baby milk barf.. Not everyone was as pleased as us
Old Mar 28th 2012, 3:55 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, my then 2 year old projectile vomited over the man next to me. He was very gracious about it though and bought me a glass of wine.
Mr Weeze missed the whole thing as he luxuriated in business class.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 3:58 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
Yep, my then 2 year old projectile vomited over the man next to me. He was very gracious about it though and bought me a glass of wine.
He travelled in Business without you... (opens big can of worms...)

I used to travel often enough to buy my personal flights in business with airmiles but alas no more (although it's really a positive as I don't travel away from home as often as I used to).
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:45 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
I used to travel often enough to buy my personal flights in business with airmiles but alas no more (although it's really a positive as I don't travel away from home as often as I used to).
While I travel 3 or 4 times a year through work, the majority of my air miles and hotel points were gained through means other than traveling (e.g. credit cards, online shopping portals, bank and investment accounts and various other promotions and offers). I once joked that I wouldn't get out of bed unless someone paid me miles to do it - and that's not actually too far from the truth!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:48 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

He travelled in Business without you... (opens big can of worms)
In fairness, he was on a business trip and I was the tag along with our daughter. He offered to ask the man to switch up to business class who was sat next to me, but I told him to not to bother. Wish I bloody had though and we could both have suffered. Continental were shite. Hardly ever came round with drinks, no snacks and couldn't be bothered. I had to sneek into business class to ask him to steal some snacks for our daughter. And, when I went through the curtain he was enjoying a hot fudge sundae from an ice cream cart
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:59 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Request an exit door seat. Should have more room, you can then have baby sleep on the floor rapped in blankets (assuming turbulence free) or play.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:04 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

In fairness, he was on a business trip and I was the tag along with our daughter. He offered to ask the man to switch up to business class who was sat next to me, but I told him to not to bother. Wish I bloody had though and we could both have suffered. Continental were shite. Hardly ever came round with drinks, no snacks and couldn't be bothered. I had to sneek into business class to ask him to steal some snacks for our daughter. And, when I went through the curtain he was enjoying a hot fudge sundae from an ice cream cart
I figured that might be the case, I thought I'd just play along!

I've always had fairly good service from Continental. For me, it's BA I can't stand. I find their staff to be pretentious and stuck up for the most part and they're so friggin' expensive (mainly applies to their Business class). I'm allowed to fly business for work with the exception that I'm not allowed to fly BA unless it's the only feasible route.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:08 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Request an exit door seat. Should have more room, you can then have baby sleep on the floor rapped in blankets (assuming turbulence free) or play.
We have a bulkhead seat with extra room but not an exit row. I don't think we would be allowed an exit row seat (no children this row sign) as everyone that sits at an exit is meant to be able to open the door in an emergency.

Having said that, I think we are going to bring a blanket and find him somewhere to crawl around for a bit if he needs too.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:08 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Not tried this myself (as our isn't due until June and I am dreading that first long haul flight) but I have heard that some people use Benedryl.

Obviously check with your pediatrician first in regards to using any such medication.
My friend gave her kids liquid Benadryl since they were baby's on flights from London to Newark for years. It worked like a charm.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:17 pm

We have a bulkhead seat with extra room but not an exit row. I don't think we would be allowed an exit row seat (no children this row sign)
Yep, dead right no kids allowed. They are a bit funny sometimes about the rows you are allowed to sit in that aren't exits as well as they like you to be near the emergency floating cot locations.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:27 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, dead right no kids allowed. They are a bit funny sometimes about the rows you are allowed to sit in that aren't exits as well as they like you to be near the emergency floating cot locations.
The other thing we've been moved for (when we used to fly "kid in lap") was out of rows with insufficient oxygen masks....apparently most rows have 1 mask per seat (makes sense) and only certain rows have an extra mask to cover for additional infants. I think it happened twice, both times after boarding, and both times out of non-bulkhead rows. The cabin staff were not amused that the check-in people seemed ignorant of the requirement.....
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:00 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
The other thing we've been moved for (when we used to fly "kid in lap") was out of rows with insufficient oxygen masks....apparently most rows have 1 mask per seat (makes sense) and only certain rows have an extra mask to cover for additional infants. I think it happened twice, both times after boarding, and both times out of non-bulkhead rows. The cabin staff were not amused that the check-in people seemed ignorant of the requirement.....
I've heard of that. I offered to move from a bulkhead seat so that a wife and her baby could be with the husband and other baby (v. cute twins!) and was told that they weren't allowed two children on that row. Kinda sucked for the parents to be sat separately.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:25 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhhh....dont get me started on that!
We normally fly back to the UK on KLM as its the easiest way to get up to Teesside. When it was KLM NW we always had a problem with seats. There are normally 5 of us travelling, 2 adults and 3 kids, and the norm was for us to be seated on 3 different rows, usually 4-5 rows apart. Once I was travelling on my own with the 3 kids (ages 1, 3 and 5 at the time) and they still managed to put us on 3 different rows, with the 3 year old even in a different section of the plane! It was always left to the cabin staff to sort out because the ground staff were totally incompetent. Last Christmas after the Delta merger, was the first time in probably 10-12 flights that they have ever sat us together from the get-go. Hopefully a sign of things to come!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Not tried this myself (as our isn't due until June and I am dreading that first long haul flight) but I have heard that some people use Benedryl.

Obviously check with your pediatrician first in regards to using any such medication.
We tried this and it didn't work for us. Not sure if we tried it with such a young baby though, I think that we tried it for 1.5 year old. Gave it to her in San Francisco and she didn't fall asleep until taxiing on the runway after touchdown in Beijing. Now that was a long flight!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

We've travelled this way quite often. Husband often flies places with work, and goes business. We have to pay our own way so me and kid fly cattle class. Hubbie is quite good about it though, we tend to split up and both share time in business. Cabin crew get quite shirty about switching seats mid flight though so we always start with me in Business and him in cattle so that when we switch my husband is technically moving back to his own seat and there isn't much they can do about it.

Daughter thinks that cattle class is much better since they serve food in little packages rather than straight onto the plate.

Best thing for me to bring on a plane is stickers, pens, coloring books, iPad and a few 'new' knick knacks which get whipped out about once every two hours. But daughter is now 5 and a veteran traveller. Only dodgy flight I had with her was in the depths of Nepal from Kathmandu, but hopefully on a transatlantic flight you should be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.