Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Traffic Lanes

Traffic Lanes

Old Dec 10th 2004, 4:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Traffic Lanes

"The UK's first motorway lane dedicated to drivers carrying passengers is to open on the M1 between St Albans in Herts and Luton in Bedfordshire..."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...ts/4083011.stm

With that story in mind...do any of you use those lanes properly over here?
Old Dec 10th 2004, 5:18 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traffic Lanes

Originally Posted by Bob
"The UK's first motorway lane dedicated to drivers carrying passengers is to open on the M1 between St Albans in Herts and Luton in Bedfordshire..."

There aren't any around where I live but I've seen that in California.

I heard/read that some unscrupulous drivers sit an inflatable doll in the passenger seat to fool other drivers so that they can use the special lane...
Old Dec 10th 2004, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
There aren't any around where I live but I've seen that in California.

I heard/read that some unscrupulous drivers sit an inflatable doll in the passenger seat to fool other drivers so that they can use the special lane...
My missus is such a bad passenger that at times I feel like throwing her in the back of the car with a rug over her a blindfold and her mouth taped up, so it looks like I'm on my own.
I love her but she's a terrible passenger
Old Dec 10th 2004, 5:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Heard that too...but it's probably more a myth...
plenty of those lanes around new england, just not in maine..and even when driving around, don't see them being used all that often...
Old Dec 10th 2004, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

don't see them being used all that often...

What the dolls ?
Don't drink, drive or shag an inflatable sheep whilst driving.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 6:38 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Bob

Around here (and no doubt in other parts of the USA) there is a phenomenon called slugging! Single occupancy cars swoop in at designated spots like hungry American Eagles to whisk-away anxious looking would-be passengers looking for a free ride into DC … slugging allows otherwise single occupancy driven vehicles to drive in the high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes …

http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/Map.asp

http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/the_hov.asp

Old Dec 10th 2004, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
don't see them being used all that often...

What the dolls ?
Don't drink, drive or shag an inflatable sheep whilst driving.

the doll is NOT a myth - the 405 (LA) has such a lane and a guy who works in my building drives a lil MX5... with a LOVELY blow up man as a passenger.... looks mighty strange I tell ya.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 6:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by USBound
the doll is NOT a myth - the 405 (LA) has such a lane and a guy who works in my building drives a lil MX5... with a LOVELY blow up man as a passenger.... looks mighty strange I tell ya.
Fantastic...must get some strange looks that
and no problems with the cops yet?
Old Dec 10th 2004, 6:52 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Around here (and no doubt in other parts of the USA) there is a phenomenon called slugging! Single occupancy cars swoop in at designated spots like hungry American Eagles to whisk-away anxious looking would-be passengers looking for a free ride into DC … slugging allows otherwise single occupancy driven vehicles to drive in the high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes …

<<snip>>
Have you picked up any slugs using this program?

NC Penguin
Old Dec 10th 2004, 6:56 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Did this coworker bother to dress his travelling companion too? I hope so.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 10th 2004, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Did this coworker bother to dress his travelling companion too? I hope so.

NC Penguin

he's wearing a courdroy shirt (red neck styleee) and a baseball cap...thats all I've seen of it... I might go over and inspect it one day
Old Dec 10th 2004, 10:51 pm
Franklin

Have you picked up any slugs using this program?

NC Penguin
There's little incentive for me to pick up a slug! I have a short reverse commute ... between Arlington and Alexandria. Takes barely 15 minutes.

I hear it can be fun being a slug. I might try it sometime - as a tourist thing.

Old Dec 10th 2004, 10:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

he's wearing a courdroy shirt (red neck styleee) and a baseball cap...thats all I've seen of it... I might go over and inspect it one day
The dummy still have his bits out then?
gotta be a photopost moment that if you get the chance