Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

total rubbish

total rubbish

Old Sep 25th 2006, 9:05 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: total rubbish

Originally Posted by Crispyuk88
To be honest, I can't see this happening.

The Bin men don't care, all they know is that the rubbish is going into the dumper, they don't care about that sort of stuff. It is annoying whole of my town got given 2 wheelie bins each though last week.
I've just thought. Since your leaving I hope you've got a 'beating retreat' organised for when you hand the house over
Old Sep 25th 2006, 9:08 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crispyuk88
To be honest, I can't see this happening.

The Bin men don't care
Power to the people, you know what happens when you give the bin-man the "jobs worth" title
Old Sep 25th 2006, 9:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

On paper, but in reality, not much is really going to change...

around here, most people dump there bin bags out by side of road, as the rubbish has to be in blue town bags, in the town I live in...and it's collected every 2 weeks, in between they collect the recyclable stuff, but that doesn't have to be sorted, just as long as the plastic is PETE 1 and HSFE 2 or whatever it is...half the rubbish is never picked up...hmmm...
Old Sep 25th 2006, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by franc11s
Power to the people, you know what happens when you give the bin-man the "jobs worth" title
Oh good grief, it's a Daily Mail campaign is it? Don't tell me, hard-working families will be driven to ruin by the stress of having to put card in a card container.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 9:54 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Oh good grief, it's a Daily Mail campaign is it? Don't tell me, hard-working families will be driven to ruin by the stress of having to put card in a card container.
If its a DM campaign its probably the fault of all those immigrants that Labour are letting in.

It's normally the City or Borough Council that has responsibility for collecting household refuse with the County or Metropolitan Councils having the job of recycling or disposing of it. The Government sets the overall targets (some of which are set by the EU - don't tell the DM readers!) and the Local Authorities decide themselves how to meet it. Some LAs are already taking people to court for not segregating their waste correctly.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a great idea! Have to agree with Sally on this, let them see what their throwing out. Its about time they get serious over here as well. Do know there are some places that are getting strict on recycling, as they should do.

Also, about smelly rubbish, you brought up meat stinking. I find that in the summer when I've made something (like chicken where I take the skin off, debone, etc.) I freeze what I would normally throw away and then drop it in the bin the night before. Works pretty good - just have to leave a note on the fridge or somewhere so you won't forget it.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 1:29 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Its much easier having your recycling collected than taking it in the car like we have to do here. Back home we put it out every 2 weeks only problem was all the neighbours could see how many beer and wine bottles we had.

If they collected it here my top layer would be vegetable cans and fruit juice bottles to hide my alchohol consumption!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 1:38 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

They do say that it is all a scam here anyway. More than one waste re-cycling company has been found to be just dumping the stuff rather than safely re-cyclng it. NYC has always been bad for that sort of thing apparently.
I have had the same problem in the UK though, of trying to hide the amount of beer cans and wine bottles used. Luckily they pay you back for beer cans here which is wonderful. In the UK I used to put my bottles outside somone elses house ha ha.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:12 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by franc11s
My sister reckons - they UK has gone mad !!
Then tell your sister to move up here where you either have to
1: Pay some local yokel about $7 a weekto take it to the dump for you
2; By a sticker for a dollar from the village office and attach that to a trash bag and leave it outside in the hope that Racoons, Foxes, Coyotes, Bears or Skunks don't rip it open during the night before the "official" local yokel comes to collect it and take it to the dump.
3: Take it to the dump yourself....(In your nice clean family vehicle)
4: Start a maggot farm.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
...Luckily they pay you back for beer cans here which is wonderful...
but there not really...your paying the deposit when you buy the drink...so your only getting your own money back..
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:44 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
but there not really...your paying the deposit when you buy the drink...so your only getting your own money back..
Now you're going to tell him there's no Santa Claus
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Now you're going to tell him there's no Santa Claus
what, big fat bloke in red jammies?....naaa...he's a fake, but the tooth fairy exists
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
4: Start a maggot farm.
Isn't that how you made your millions?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:55 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
But it still feels like free money. And what's that about no santa?!?!??
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
But it still feels like free money...
it is if your a homeless person with a grocery cart