British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Torture Devices (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/torture-devices-240785/)

snorkmaiden Jul 7th 2004 6:05 pm

Torture Devices

My garage got done over for the second time last night. They must have been disturbed as they only got my strimmer and a couple of little things.

I'm thinking the little darlings may come back for the bikes and my lawn mower soon and I'd like to have something nice waiting for them :D Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I'm just renting this house so I don't want to spend a fortune but my dad mentioned some alarm systems you can get just for your garage, does anyone use any particular garage alarm they could recommend before I go shopping for one this evening?

Cheers gang.

Rockgurl Jul 7th 2004 6:07 pm

How about wiring the garage door handle up to the mains? :D

Lothianlad Jul 7th 2004 6:12 pm

Re: Torture Devices

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
My garage got done over for the second time last night. They must have been disturbed as they only got my strimmer and a couple of little things.

I'm thinking the little darlings may come back for the bikes and my lawn mower soon and I'd like to have something nice waiting for them :D Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I'm just renting this house so I don't want to spend a fortune but my dad mentioned some alarm systems you can get just for your garage, does anyone use any particular garage alarm they could recommend before I go shopping for one this evening?

Cheers gang.
A couple of black mambas

James Box Jul 7th 2004 6:26 pm

Originally posted by Rockgurl
How about wiring the garage door handle up to the mains? :D
Make sure you use good ol' 220V. This 110V nonsense is for pansies :D

On a related note, has anyone wired up a few sockets for 220V to use British electronics? Would be cool to use a British 3-pin socket for it :) I've thought about it for our toaster and kettle that we brought over, but have only just bought a house so not done anything about it yet.

andy kerry Jul 7th 2004 6:27 pm

Cheers gang.
i do believe my ex wife could be just the thing she scared the hell out of me :scared:

Manc Jul 7th 2004 6:30 pm

Originally posted by James Box
I've thought about it for our toaster and kettle that we brought over,
:confused:

are electronics like toasters and kettles in short supply here or something?

maybe it's just our Walmart and Kmart and Target that has an abundance of them..............

doctor scrumpy Jul 7th 2004 6:30 pm

I always thought the worst torture device a man could suffer was that gold ring on the 4th finger ? Opens you to the horrors of in-laws !!!!

James Box Jul 7th 2004 6:40 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
:confused:

are electronics like toasters and kettles in short supply here or something?

maybe it's just our Walmart and Kmart and Target that has an abundance of them..............
Decent ones? Yes. Although T(e)Fal do sell our toaster here now (expensively).

Virtually everyone I know here still uses a stove top kettle for boiling water. Electrical ones aren't popular and you certainly won't find our clear-glass one here.

Walmart.com: 3 matches for "electric kettle" :eek:

snorkmaiden Jul 7th 2004 6:46 pm

Originally posted by andy kerry
i do believe my ex wife could be just the thing she scared the hell out of me :scared:
How do you think she would feel about living in our garage? :D

Maggs Jul 7th 2004 6:47 pm

Hi

I had to leave my clear glass kettle behind too .... I miss it a lot! My son brought a step up transformer with him for his CD player and his guitar and amplifier. It works really well. The tranformer cost us 79 GBP. The company doesn't import to the US so my son brought it will him in his luggage but they will deliver to any address in the UK.

Maggie.

effi Jul 7th 2004 6:48 pm

Cheers gang.
Don't you have a lock on the inside of your garage door? We have a bolt thingy that slides into the door casing. Also, do you have an electronic door opener, if so unplug it overnite. My neighbour got his very expensive golf clubs taken a couple of weeks back. Mind you he leaves his garage door open all day long, sort of an invitation to opportunists, but he got a new set on his household insurance. He still leaves his door open, I wonder how many sets he will lose before the insurance Co tells him to stick his claim up his ass.

James Box Jul 7th 2004 6:50 pm

Originally posted by Maggs
I had to leave my clear glass kettle behind too .... I miss it a lot!
We brought it over and bought a transformer from a US company for about $100. Works great. :cool:

snorkmaiden Jul 7th 2004 7:43 pm

Originally posted by effi
Don't you have a lock on the inside of your garage door? We have a bolt thingy that slides into the door casing. Also, do you have an electronic door opener, if so unplug it overnite. My neighbour got his very expensive golf clubs taken a couple of weeks back. Mind you he leaves his garage door open all day long, sort of an invitation to opportunists, but he got a new set on his household insurance. He still leaves his door open, I wonder how many sets he will lose before the insurance Co tells him to stick his claim up his ass.
We do have a lock - which stupidly we forgot to use last night, just the electric door opener. However, the first time the garage was broken into they broke the lock (it's a bolt one like the one you mentioned). They can grab your door codes now and use their own garage door opener and they've also been using some method involving a wire coathanger according to the local news a while ago.

Our estate has been getting hit quite a bit lately. I'm going to try and get some kind of motion sensor alarm in tonight.

Manc Jul 7th 2004 7:58 pm

We brought it over and bought a transformer from a US company for about $100. Works great. :cool:
you spent $100 in order to boil water?
bloody hell.

James Box Jul 7th 2004 8:11 pm

you spent $100 in order to boil water?
bloody hell.
lol.. umm. Actually I think it was $100 total for the 3 transformers that we got including the shipping for the heavy things. We got them for the kettle, toaster, amplifier/receiver, network switch and scanner.

Cheaper than the cost of replacing all of them and in the case of the kettle, couldn't be replaced. :p

rincewind Jul 7th 2004 8:19 pm

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
I always thought the worst torture device a man could suffer was that gold ring on the 4th finger ? Opens you to the horrors of in-laws !!!!
:D :D :D

:beer:

Patrick Jul 8th 2004 2:31 am

in the case of the kettle, couldn't be replaced. :p
its an electrical device designed to boil water for cups of tea not Great Aunt Bessies Pearl Earings for Petes sake! Some of you people are weird, there are hundreds of electric kettles available here, so what if it isn't as nice as the one you used in the UK, its a kettle, not an couch or a picasso, people don't come to your house to view your kettle. ITS A KETTLE!!!!

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0001B4T0A

sibsie Jul 8th 2004 2:39 am

No advice to offer, but I feel your pain on the burglary. I got done four times in Spain in the space of a year.

I've now moved to a town with a zero crime rate.

Ray Jul 8th 2004 6:27 am

Originally posted by sibsie
I've now moved to a town with a zero crime rate.
Thats what you think ..they are just waiting for your container to arrive.. and the crooks are getting fed up with waiting.

James Box Jul 8th 2004 3:30 pm

$130 for a freaking kettle ?!

Manc Jul 8th 2004 3:32 pm

$130 for a freaking kettle ?!
:D I knew that was coming........

jaytee Jul 8th 2004 3:38 pm

Cheers gang.
oh well

Replace the driveway and perimeter floodlamps with motion sensor floodlamps.

Big Vern Jul 8th 2004 3:38 pm

Good grief, all this over a kettle....

We got a Cuisinart stainless steel leccy kettle for $60 from Bed Bath & Beyond (and you can get then from Sears too) which sounds like a lot of dosh but its a good solid bit of kit that'll last for a while.

If you're feeling cheap Wal-Marts do a GE leccy kettle for $15 - but be prepared to wait 20 mins for it to boil....

Manc Jul 8th 2004 3:39 pm

I got one for the gas stove from Ikea for $20.

cheap at half the price.

Chopper-Chris Jul 8th 2004 4:04 pm

cheap at half the price.

get a gun.

If anyone steps foot on your land, shoot the bastard right in the knackers, he'll wish he'd just not bothered, while he lives out his unworthy existence unable to even pull his own plonker.

Plus you will be doing the world a valuable favor in ridding the gene pool of this twat

can anyone tell that I don't like burglars?

:)

In some (if not all states) its perfectly legal to defend yourself with a gun if someone is on your land...and if they are unarmed, you can still claim that you thought they were.

Give the bastard a little lead souvenir.

Overthere Jul 8th 2004 4:11 pm

Pretty cheap here
http://store.yahoo.com/englishteastore/kettles.html

and here
http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Philips_..._Kettle_HD4651

Manc Jul 8th 2004 4:41 pm

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
get a gun.

If anyone steps foot on your land, shoot the bastard right in the knackers, he'll wish he'd just not bothered, while he lives out his unworthy existence unable to even pull his own plonker.

Plus you will be doing the world a valuable favor in ridding the gene pool of this twat

can anyone tell that I don't like burglars?

:)

In some (if not all states) its perfectly legal to defend yourself with a gun if someone is on your land...and if they are unarmed, you can still claim that you thought they were.

Give the bastard a little lead souvenir.
If someone is done harm on your land, by you or your negligence they can sue you and will in all probability win.

unless they are threatening you directly with physical harm you cannot claim self defense

a little crazy I know, but that's how it is.

James Box Jul 8th 2004 4:49 pm

LOL We don't need a kettle :rolleyes:

We love our clear boil kettle which boils pretty quickly and was a wedding present. We didn't want to spend $30-$60 on a US electric kettle that looks like ones the UK had 10 years ago. :p

Ray Jul 8th 2004 4:51 pm

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
get a gun.
Now you are in my territory ...and talking sense... but you never shoot while they are on your land ..always invite them in first

Ray Jul 8th 2004 4:52 pm

LOL We don't need a kettle :rolleyes:
We love our clear boil kettle which boils pretty quickly and was a wedding present. We didn't want to spend $30-$60 on a US electric kettle that looks like ones the UK had 10 years ago. :p
And will you piss off and start your own thread ..Bleeding kettles ...JeeZ.

Yosser Jul 8th 2004 5:04 pm

I have one of them $15 GE kettle things, its 2 years old and still going strong.

If you don't want to part with $15, just use a bloody saucepan, its good enough!

If you do catch the burgulars, sit em on the washing machine, unplug the 220v cord, bare back some insulation using your swiss army knife, duct tape the shinnie copper part to their testicles and plug it back in :D

They won't steal again, I can assure you!

Ray Jul 8th 2004 5:23 pm

What State is the OP in ..

Yosser Jul 8th 2004 5:27 pm

Originally posted by ray6
What State is the OP in ..
Texas

geordiegirl2 Jul 8th 2004 5:37 pm

lol.. umm. Actually I think it was $100 total for the 3 transformers that we got including the shipping for the heavy things. We got them for the kettle, toaster, amplifier/receiver, network switch and scanner.

Cheaper than the cost of replacing all of them and in the case of the kettle, couldn't be replaced. :p
Do you have the name of the company you got them from, we're moving over in 2 weeks and i'm not sure whether to bring electrical items or not

Big Vern Jul 8th 2004 5:58 pm

If someone is done harm on your land, by you or your negligence they can sue you and will in all probability win.

unless they are threatening you directly with physical harm you cannot claim self defense

a little crazy I know, but that's how it is.
That's a pity - the only reason I came here was so I could plug the scally b@stards when they try to nick the telly :D

...actually I'd love to see someone try and nick my telly, it weighs 300 pounds and took four big blokes to carry it in !!

Ray Jul 8th 2004 6:04 pm

Originally posted by Yosser
Texas
In Texas its virtually your God given right to be armed...if you hold a GC you can get a carry permit..you cannot be refused ..its nearly as simple as Florida.. In fact my carry permit is valid in Texas too... or just put a can of pepper spray just inside the door to go off when opened ..that'll bring tears to their eyes..

Chopper-Chris Jul 8th 2004 6:35 pm

Originally posted by ray6
In Texas its virtually your God given right to be armed...if you hold a GC you can get a carry permit..you cannot be refused ..its nearly as simple as Florida.. In fact my carry permit is valid in Texas too... or just put a can of pepper spray just inside the door to go off when opened ..that'll bring tears to their eyes..

good idea...you could booby trap the garage door with pepper spray - several cans...even leave a warning on the outside of the door to avoid law suits, something like

"Don't even think about it you knob, or you'll be crying yourself to sleep tonight"

just don't forget you did it and then walk into the garage yourself.

Big Vern Jul 8th 2004 7:11 pm

http://darwinawards.de/darwin/darwin2002-27.html

Chopper-Chris Jul 8th 2004 7:33 pm

Originally posted by Big Vern
http://darwinawards.de/darwin/darwin2002-27.html
Also from Darwin...

Shed Protection
2002 Honorable Mention
(August 2002, Netherlands) A 66-year-old Margraten resident wanted to protect his garden shed against burglars. The best way to do this, he decided, was to construct a booby trap. He cobbled together some ropes and a shotgun aimed at the door. Proud of his ingenuity, he demonstrated the effectiveness of the device to two friends by shooting himself in the abdomen and lower arm. An emergency operation prevented him from winning a Darwin Award. Police searched his home, and confiscated firearms and ammo, along with 15 full-grown marijuana plants that perhaps helped him formulate this painful lesson in safety.
Reference: Dagblad de Limburger, www.limburger.nl

DarwinAwards.com © 1994-2003

AmerLisa Jul 8th 2004 10:36 pm

cheap at half the price.
I got one from Ikea that cost $5. What did yours look like?