Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Top Gear on the Discovery Channel

Top Gear on the Discovery Channel

Old Jun 30th 2005, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold
Default Top Gear on the Discovery Channel

I'm watching Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear on the Discovery Channel. Right now (10.03 PM EST). WTF is going on? How long has this been happening?
Old Jun 30th 2005, 4:01 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Top Gear on the Discovery Channel

I dunno! I only discovered it myself this evening as well but only cos we were watching Myth Busters prior to it coming on.

Do you know how up-to-date it is? I was thinking that maybe it was from an older series but, then, I've not watched it for so long that I'd almost forgotten what Jeremy Clarkson looked like...
Old Jun 30th 2005, 4:08 am
Grumpy Member

y2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to all

Lots of stuff about Top Gear here, looks like it only just started on Discovery tonight...My wife really loves it when car programs are on tv (not), for a minute there I bet she thought she left them in England
Old Jun 30th 2005, 4:13 am
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
I dunno! I only discovered it myself this evening as well but only cos we were watching Myth Busters prior to it coming on.

Do you know how up-to-date it is? I was thinking that maybe it was from an older series but, then, I've not watched it for so long that I'd almost forgotten what Jeremy Clarkson looked like...
Hey that's brilliant I love that show.

He's a cool dude actually. Unlike some of the jerks out there in TV land he definitely has a sense of humour. I was reading his column in the Sun once about the Viz strip where he sh*gs a car. The guys at Viz thought he was pretty cool about it and gave him sthe strip (I believe).

Did you see that show about resarching your ancestors (name escapes me) where he went to try and track down his ancestor who invented the Kilner jar. I was amazed because he spent half the show trying to find one to see what it looked like.

I grew up in a house were there were rows of the things in the shed and in a kitchen cupboard. So I asked my mum whatever happened to those Kilner jars (which were her mothers - and had been around for 70 years or more - turns she'd done some spring cleaning just 3 months before and chucked them out!) Isn't that just typical!

Last edited by ScotsmanInTexas; Jun 30th 2005 at 4:16 am.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 5:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Top Gear, there on episode 5 of the sixth series on blighty, i've been getting them off mininova since the topgear/fifth gear site got busted.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 2:55 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I caught it too. It was good to see Mr Clarkson again.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Spooky. I was in some kind of Mexican, chipotle style place on Tuesday and all they kept playing was the top gear theme tune. I knew something was afoot!
Old Jun 30th 2005, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

I happened to see it by chance last night. My husband is out of town, all he's talked about for a month is buying a Lotus Elise, so I thought it was freaky to hear Jeremy talking about just that vehicle....
Old Jun 30th 2005, 4:26 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Top Gear on the Discovery Channel

Originally Posted by janj
I happened to see it by chance last night. My husband is out of town, all he's talked about for a month is buying a Lotus Elise, so I thought it was freaky to hear Jeremy talking about just that vehicle....
There is a lovely little red Lotus Elise on display in a mall close to where I live in NJ (Livingston Mall). A local car dealer sells them.

My local Mall (The Mall at Short Hills) always has a Bentley on display - the Arnage is beautiful - and usually a LandRover as well.

The 'Best of British' eh?

(Good to see that Top Gear is on over here now, used to watch it on BBC World in Singapore. The odd thing though, is that many of the cars won't be on sale in the US market - and of course the BBC presenters like to show how the cars respond when they're changing up the manual gearboxes....which have never been in vogue in the States!)
Old Jun 30th 2005, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
There is a lovely little red Lotus Elise on display in a mall close to where I live in NJ (Livingston Mall). A local car dealer sells them.

My local Mall (The Mall at Short Hills) always has a Bentley on display - the Arnage is beautiful - and usually a LandRover as well.

The 'Best of British' eh?
The Scottsdale motor mile has a Rolls Royce and Jag dealership that has around 30 union jack flags surrounding it. Funny considering they are not even Brit owned anymore.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 5:07 pm
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough

American attitudes are weird when it comes to British cars. I know of an American woman who plans to hire an old London Hackney Taxi for her wedding. I scratched my head in wonder when she explained it costs almost as much (to hire) as a Roller or Limo. Maybe Jeremy on TV will put them right!
Old Jun 30th 2005, 5:16 pm
This board is shite

The guy pictured is in a convertible in Texas?

I'm not sure that would work for me what with the sun beating on my bonce and the hot humid air. When I'm back home I love rolling the window down and letting the cold air in - in Texas it's hot air that comes in so the window stays up! So how on earth do you a/c a convertible?

Anyway a little outside my price range I'm afraid, but how much would a Lotus Elise set you back these days?
Old Jun 30th 2005, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas

The guy pictured is in a convertible in Texas?

I'm not sure that would work for me what with the sun beating on my bonce and the hot humid air. When I'm back home I love rolling the window down and letting the cold air in - in Texas it's hot air that comes in so the window stays up! So how on earth do you a/c a convertible?

Anyway a little outside my price range I'm afraid, but how much would a Lotus Elise set you back these days?
Base price is $43,000
http://66.139.73.25/carconfig/index.html
Old Jun 30th 2005, 5:27 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

bit O/T but has he driven one? will it be a primary mode of transport or just a track car/third household car?

the reason I ask is that they are hideous to live with day to day.

and now the new porsche boxster 's' apparently handles better than the elise I reckon there's not much point in buying one - just my $0.02
Old Jun 30th 2005, 5:34 pm
This board is shite

Talking Re: Top Gear on the Discovery Channel

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Good site that!

These were the 3 colours that caught my eye!

I'd want a hard-top for Texas though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.