Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Too Young for NYC?

Wikiposts

Too Young for NYC?

Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too Young for NYC?

Originally Posted by drop step
That will change about 50 times before he grows up, and my kids are like me, very athletic. Ive always put more emphasis on social skills than intellectual pursuits. I feel that will serve them better in life
Forgive me but I find your comments are very narrow minded, but we are all entitled to our own opinions. I think that the emphasis should be on a happy mix of both social skills and intellectual interests, but every child is different and forgive me again, but I knew from a very young age what my career was going to be and have worked damn hard to get where I am now. Again, you are presuming every family or child is like yours!! So I am with Sarah on this one - sorry.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:37 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
bit of a tangent...but Cooperstown, how far of a slog is that? Could google it I suppose, but with actual traffic times during holiday period?

Just intrigued by the baseball hall of fame and wondering if that was worth the slog if one spent a few days in NYC.
It's a long way and might be worth it if you're really into baseball. Coopertown is basically a tourist trap but the museum is comprehensive. To me, the real draw is the fact that the Leatherstocking region in New York is beautiful and has lots of great hikes and boating opportunities. The excellent Ommegang Brewery is in Coopertown and definitely worth a visit. It's in a pretty building styled like a Belgian style barn, offers a nice informative tour and has great beer and Belgian beer accesories for sale. Lastly, there's a great pit BBQ joint right near there:
http://www.brooksbbq.com/
Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
It's a long way and might be worth it if you're really into baseball. Coopertown is basically a tourist trap but the museum is comprehensive. To me, the real draw is the fact that the Leatherstocking region in New York is beautiful and has lots of great hikes and boating opportunities. The excellent Ommegang Brewery is in Coopertown and definitely worth a visit. It's in a pretty building styled like a Belgian style barn, offers a nice informative tour and has great beer and Belgian beer accesories for sale. Lastly, there's a great pit BBQ joint right near there:
http://www.brooksbbq.com/
I can't say I'm all that interested in Baseball, I follow it until the Redsox fail to make the play offs and that's about it...but the hall of fame and the area around does sound like a fun day out, but a bit out there for just a day trip.

Saying that, I'm not all that far from the basketball hall of fame...but that's near Springfield, which is a dump, and as a location, doesn't seem nearly as appealing to go check out
Old Oct 24th 2010, 5:04 pm
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Brat1
Forgive me but I find your comments are very narrow minded, but we are all entitled to our own opinions. I think that the emphasis should be on a happy mix of both social skills and intellectual interests, but every child is different and forgive me again, but I knew from a very young age what my career was going to be and have worked damn hard to get where I am now. Again, you are presuming every family or child is like yours!! So I am with Sarah on this one - sorry.

The kids are too young for NYC

Final answer
Old Oct 24th 2010, 5:21 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Go there with your kids. Have a blast. Feel free to PM me any questions about NYC since I'm from here. Ignore the negativity of some people.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

The kids are too young for NYC

Final answer
You're entitled to your opinion
Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:57 am
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Brat1
Forgive me but I find your comments are very narrow minded, but we are all entitled to our own opinions. I think that the emphasis should be on a mix of both social skills and intellectual interests.
The goal is to create happy people isn't it? I've seen more miserable doctors and college professors than I have miserable cab drivers, garbage men or baggage handlers.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Well it looks like next year we will be visiting NYC and now also Colorado! OH really wants to go there and is trying to work out how much leave he'll have for the duration of the year after we go to UK for my brothers wedding.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, Colorado! So much to do that kids will love - I think there was a thread a short while ago about some places to go. Ignore "drop step"'s somewhat bizarre and unhelpful comments.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SarahG
Well it looks like next year we will be visiting NYC and now also Colorado! OH really wants to go there and is trying to work out how much leave he'll have for the duration of the year after we go to UK for my brothers wedding.

Ah... I feel so much better for your kids now. Colorado's nice in the summer with plenty of fresh air and sunshine for those youngsters.

Glad to be of help

Last edited by drop step; Oct 25th 2010 at 4:37 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

The goal is to create happy people isn't it? I've seen more miserable doctors and college professors than I have miserable cab drivers, garbage men or baggage handlers.
What a load of xxxx!!! And Sarah, great. I'm sure you'll love anywhere you go because as long as you go as a family, then you can't fail really and it's all about quality time with your OH and the kids that makes the difference, not whether they're being taught social skills or any other rubbish like that. The kids will love spending time with you both so have a great vacation and it's something to look forward to!!!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Ah... I feel so much better for your kids now. Colorado's nice in the summer with plenty of fresh air and sunshine for those youngsters.

Glad to be of help
You feel better for my kids now!! Were you feeling sad for them before? What a terrible parent I must be for taking my kids to museums!

BTW we are going to Colorado and NYC!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 4:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by SarahG
You feel better for my kids now!! Were you feeling sad for them before? What a terrible parent I must be for taking my kids to museums!

BTW we are going to Colorado and NYC!
C'mon Sarah, I did'nt mean it like that, but there is that old saying that "all work and no play makes little Timmy a very dull boy" and Colorado might be just the medicine your family needs. Little known fact- Colorado has the most sunny days of any civilised place in America, and there's so much to do: Hiking, Biking, Hunting, Fishing, Off Roading, Camping, Ski'ing, Kayaking and literally thousands of scenic drives chock full of charming little mountain towns to visit. It's not the beach, but good choice anyway..

Have fun
Old Oct 26th 2010, 4:18 am
Banned

Oh and btw, if you need any info on the region, don't hesitate to ask. I visited Colorado in 74 with my parents and then later in 85 with my wife and first child. Check out Santa's North Pole Amusment Park at the foot of Pikes Peak. It's an amusment park with a christmas theme......Kids love that and sometimes it's good to just let kids be kids