Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Too Young for NYC?

Too Young for NYC?

Old Oct 21st 2010, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Too Young for NYC?

Me and my OH were discussing where in this great nation we would like to go next year. We are going back to the UK at the end of March for my little brothers wedding so most of our trips will only be long weekends due to the limited amount of leave my OH gets.

This year we've been round Indiana and to Illinois, Ohio, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and N Carolina. It was brought up that maybe we might go to NYC for a few days. I love New York and I've been several times and would love to go again. If we go our kids would be 6 and almost 8 years old. Is that too young? I thought we could take them to Central Park, FAO Schwarz, museums (my kids actually like museums) and to the Statue of Liberty. Any other suggestions for small kids or should we wait until they are a bit older?
Old Oct 21st 2010, 1:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too Young for NYC?

Museum of Natural History. They should love that one. There is also a few hands on museums for kids. One is in Liberty State Park in NJ just across from the Statue of Liberty and believe there is another one in Brooklyn. There is the Bronx Zoo which I believe you all will enjoy and you can take metro north there for a quick and easy train ride (not subway). The NY Aquarium is in Brooklyn. A sail around the complete Isle of Manhattan is a treat for everyone. There are usually child oriented shows off broadway for children that even my 2 yr GD loves.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 1:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Museum of Natural History. They should love that one. There is also a few hands on museums for kids. One is in Liberty State Park in NJ just across from the Statue of Liberty and believe there is another one in Brooklyn. There is the Bronx Zoo which I believe you all will enjoy and you can take metro north there for a quick and easy train ride (not subway). The NY Aquarium is in Brooklyn. A sail around the complete Isle of Manhattan is a treat for everyone. There are usually child oriented shows off broadway for children that even my 2 yr GD loves.
My daughter was 6 the first time we took her to NYC. Around the same time there was a Disney cartoon showing Manhattan...so she related the visit to that. She used to call it Madhattan.

Grandma Rete's given you some great suggestions...she should know she's lived in the city most of her life.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

They might also like the Transit Museum in Brooklyn, in a real subway station: http://www.mta.info/mta/museum/ (there's also a related small shop in Grand Central station)

Definitely not too young at those ages!
Old Oct 21st 2010, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Statue of Liberty

Be aware that there is an airport style security check in at the ferry for the Statue (this is also the same ferry for Ellis Island and is a pain if you just want to go to Ellis). Pick the wrong time and the queue is huge. I think they now make you buy tickets online now.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 3:28 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Empire State Building. Buy tickets in advance online.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 1:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

bit of a tangent...but Cooperstown, how far of a slog is that? Could google it I suppose, but with actual traffic times during holiday period?

Just intrigued by the baseball hall of fame and wondering if that was worth the slog if one spent a few days in NYC.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 2:08 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

And the Rockefeller center ice rink. They'll dig that.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 2:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
And the Rockefeller center ice rink. They'll dig that.
So true...something they will always remember.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 4:59 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

No, they're not too young... I had 10 days up there with my 9, 7 and 5 year olds this summer - they had a blast, but were absolutely shattered at the end of it. Every night we said "tomorrow we do less and come home earlier", bt it never happened...Couldn't believe how much we managed to cram in.

If they bike - do some of the rentals - we biked central park and did another one from the piers round the bottom of Manhattan, then across Brooklyn bridge and back across Manhattan Bridge (or was it the other way round...). The science museum out at Flushing Meadows is great. Museum of Natural History - excellent. My 9and 7 yo enjoyed the Heroes of the WTC tour, 5 yo was understandably a bit bored. King Tut exhibition was a surprising hit - good little treasure hunt got them looking at all the right things. Empire state in daylight, and Top of the Rock at night worked well. Skyride was disappointing. Couldn't get tickets to go up the Statue of Liberty (only sell something like 200 a day and they sell out well in advance, but apparently if you're there early in the morninng you may get returns), and the 3000 podium tickets were sold out a well, but we went to the island, took the free guided tour of the base, and the very friendly guide gave us tickets to go up the podium.

The Beast was good for a fun blast round the bay, but we also did one of the square riggers which did actually sail (think it was Clipper City), and the kids got to help with steering and we all helped raising the sails (free beer for Dad, free soda for the kids). Took in a couple of shows - pricey! (but worth it). Kids (surprisingly) enjoyed Madam Tussauds - they knew more of the folk than I thought they would. Enjoyed Times Square, the Toys R Us big wheel, M&M store, etc.

We bought the New York city pass and it was well worth it - cost something like $20 per day for the 7 day pass and we got that value in the first couple of hours.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely not too young Sarah. There is plenty for the kids to do on a long weekend. If you were thinking of Central Park, there is a great wee zoo in Central Park which my kids loved and when we went there, they were 7 and 9 at the time. The Ice Rink in Central Park should be open also, depending on when you were thinking of going. I think it's open between October and April and the kids would love that.

As said before, you'e got the Toys R Us store and the M&M's store and kids love all that stuff. The Museum of Natural History is a day out in itself as there is so much to see and do. You've also got the Build a Bear on 5th Avenue, which we get dragged to every time we're in the city!!!!

I would say go for it and enjoy. Also as suggested, if you're doing the Statue of Liberty or anything like that, it's sometimes better to book online.

Enjoy!!!!!
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 4:02 pm
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

I just can't see any reason to go there with kids. For adults there are shows, shopping, restaurants and nights out on the town, but not much really for kids. When our kids were young we always took them to the beach. I'd suggest Southwest coast of Florida, it doesn't have the crowds or the New York people that the east coast of Florida has, it's very laid back with large uncrowded white sand beaches, calm surf and there are lots of fun things to do in those towns.

Ft. Myres, Naples or Venice
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drop step
I just can't see any reason to go there with kids. For adults there are shows, shopping, restaurants and nights out on the town, but not much really for kids. When our kids were young we always took them to the beach. I'd suggest Southwest coast of Florida, it doesn't have the crowds or the New York people that the east coast of Florida has, it's very laid back with large uncrowded white sand beaches, calm surf and there are lots of fun things to do in those towns.

Ft. Myres, Naples or Venice
My kids get bored at the beach plus we are only going to be able to go away for long weekends next year. Driving to Florida from Indiana to go to a beach will not be happening.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions everyone. Going to start planning our trip properly very soon!
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 4:27 pm
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by SarahG
My kids get bored at the beach plus we are only going to be able to go away for long weekends next year. Driving to Florida from Indiana to go to a beach will not be happening.
I just can't imagine that walking crowded, cold and gloomy streets with commuters from Long Island would have ever interested any of my 6 kids, and I didn't know you were limited to driving destinations. I did drive from Chicago to Naples in one day on many occasions though. 23 hours and 59 minutes to be exact.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 4:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by drop step
I just can't imagine that walking crowded, cold and gloomy streets with commuters from Long Island would have ever interested any of my 6 kids, and I didn't know you were limited to driving destinations. I did drive from Chicago to Naples in one day on many occasions though. 23 hours and 59 minutes to be exact.
Cold...would depend on the time of year. In summer it is often hotter than Florida. Yes it is cold in wintertime in NYC but if you're there around Christmas there's something magical about the city.

Gloomy...some days perhaps but most days the sky is bright blue and the sun in shining.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.