Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Too much countersignatory?

Too much countersignatory?

Old Sep 18th 2010, 6:38 am
Just Joined

nia198 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Too much countersignatory?

Hi - I'm a Brit living in CA and need to renew my passport relatively quickly. I haven't been here that long, so it's been a bit of a struggle to find someone to countersign, but I finally did. I have 4 photos, and the person has included the "I certify that this is a true likeness of ..." message on two but for some reason signed all 4. I thought I'd read somwhere that two needed full counter signiture, but I now see that it only asks for one to be this way. Does it matter if both have been counter signed? I don't want to have to go and get more photos taken, and to have to go through the polava of getting them signed again, but will do so if having both signed is a problem. Any one know if this matters?

Thanks,
Nick
Old Sep 18th 2010, 2:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too much countersignatory?

The instructions are pretty clear that only one photograph should be signed. They don't want a signature on the back of the one that will be affixed in your new passport, just on the file copy. And you only submit two photos, not the entire four that they usually give you at the photo shop.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless your appearance has changed significantly since your last passport photos were taken you do not need a signatory.

Here's the directgov link to passport photos and countersignatures: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...tion/DG_174151

"Do you need to get your application countersigned?

You need to get your application countersigned if you are applying:
for a first passport
to replace a lost stolen or damaged passport
to renew a passport for a child aged 11 or under
to renew a passport when your appearance has changed so much that it would be hard to recognise you from the photo in your last or current passport"

I hope this helps!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:07 am
Just Joined

BRAVO27 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a British citizen I have family in the U.K., but have not lived there for 18 years.Can an American counter sign my Application? Thanks in advance James
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Too much countersignatory?

Originally Posted by BRAVO27
I am a British citizen I have family in the U.K., but have not lived there for 18 years.Can an American counter sign my Application? Thanks in advance James
Yes, as long as they know you in some form of professional capacity (Dr, teacher, etc).

Dean
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Outstanding thank you for the quick reply.

Would the National Chaplin for the Veterans of Foreign Wars be acceptable?

Also would he sign the picture only or also fill out section 9 on the C1 form?

Last edited by BRAVO27; Sep 30th 2010 at 1:22 pm. Reason: extra ?
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:51 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have the energy to look up the instructions, but I do recall having the person who signed on my photo also fill in a part of the form.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Many Thanks
Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:51 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Consul
Yes, as long as they know you in some form of professional capacity (Dr, teacher, etc).

Dean
Dean - if an american does countersign - what do they put in the space for passport number? do they just leave it blank or put their US passport number.
Thanks
E
Old Oct 1st 2010, 2:30 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by MsElui
Dean - if an american does countersign - what do they put in the space for passport number? do they just leave it blank or put their US passport number.
Thanks
E
I think it says "British passport number," so isn't applicable if the person doesn't have a British passport. I renewed recently and my countersignatory left it blank, and I got my passport pretty quickly.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute

As above.

Dean
Old Feb 24th 2011, 3:33 am
Just Joined

waz_shaheen is an unknown quantity at this point

Atleast I now have the counter sig part covered. I'll have my boss do that for me (He's a CPA).
Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
They don't want a signature on the back of the one that will be affixed in your new passport
Affixed to your passport? The 1950's have called and want their travel documents back.