Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Tips on Smooth Sailing through UK Customs (Immigration)

Tips on Smooth Sailing through UK Customs (Immigration)

Old Dec 12th 2010, 8:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning to USA citizens travelling to UK for Christmas

We very much appreciate your telling us what happened at the Manchester airport to your USC when confronted with UK Border Agents.

It is not the first time we have heard of this nor will it be the last. However, it is good to have one more concrete piece of evidence that the UK agents are as strict as those in the US border agency.

It would seem also that the UK agents have the very same discretionary power to say yes or no based on their take of the situation.

Just so you know, having the US Immigration paperwork on hand is not a guarantee that you will be allowed into the UK. Do you have the statistics of how often USC's come to the US with pending immigration applications and remain in the UK and apply for leave to remain? Just as those applications are no guarantee that a British Citizen will be granted entry into the US because an application is pending, the same is true of the UK apparently.

It is good to know that her experience will not hinder your immigration in the future.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 8:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
PS I have seen people recommending not going through Manchester.
Where, please.. VJ? Or elsewhere?
If this is indeed a 'policy' there will be word of it elsewhere.

Sounds to me like a typical refused entry except the interview process was way too long.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Where, please.. VJ? Or elsewhere?
If this is indeed a 'policy' there will be word of it elsewhere.

Sounds to me like a typical refused entry except the interview process was way too long.
Agreed on the timing. I am sure it was VJ.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

nmoon83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
We very much appreciate your telling us what happened at the Manchester airport to your USC when confronted with UK Border Agents.

It is not the first time we have heard of this nor will it be the last. However, it is good to have one more concrete piece of evidence that the UK agents are as strict as those in the US border agency.

It would seem also that the UK agents have the very same discretionary power to say yes or no based on their take of the situation.

Just so you know, having the US Immigration paperwork on hand is not a guarantee that you will be allowed into the UK. Do you have the statistics of how often USC's come to the US with pending immigration applications and remain in the UK and apply for leave to remain? Just as those applications are no guarantee that a British Citizen will be granted entry into the US because an application is pending, the same is true of the UK apparently.

It is good to know that her experience will not hinder your immigration in the future.
Im going to add this in because i think its relavant right now but again this is my personal case.

My fiancees mother was just contacted by a paramedic in Charlotte airport saying that my fiancee has no recollection of where she is or how she got there. UK immigration were the last people to see her as she had to collect her passport from them. This shows they were way too harsh on their "questioning" procedure and had no interest in her wellbeing at all.
She has been admitted into a hospital in Charlotte the last i heard as of about 15 mins ago.

So when u say US border control has the same discretionary power they may do but bear in mind UK immigration had my fiancees medical problems on file and look at the outcome!
Old Dec 12th 2010, 9:37 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nmoon83
Im going to add this in because i think its relavant right now but again this is my personal case.

My fiancees mother was just contacted by a paramedic in Charlotte airport saying that my fiancee has no recollection of where she is or how she got there. UK immigration were the last people to see her as she had to collect her passport from them. This shows they were way too harsh on their "questioning" procedure and had no interest in her wellbeing at all.
She has been admitted into a hospital in Charlotte the last i heard as of about 15 mins ago.

So when u say US border control has the same discretionary power they may do but bear in mind UK immigration had my fiancees medical problems on file and look at the outcome!
sorry about your fiancee health problems but i fail to see where this is UK immigrations fault, if she has such severe health problems maybe she should not of been traveling alone. unfortunately she was refused entry this is a risk anyone who is not a citizen has when trying to enter another country..
Old Dec 12th 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Mav42 is just really niceMav42 is just really niceMav42 is just really niceMav42 is just really niceMav42 is just really niceMav42 is just really niceMav42 is just really niceMav42 is just really nice

Originally Posted by candy wy.
sorry about your fiancee health problems but i fail to see where this is UK immigrations fault, if she has such severe health problems maybe she should not of been traveling alone. unfortunately she was refused entry this is a risk anyone who is not a citizen has when trying to enter another country..
The "fault" lies in the contumelious rigmorol systematically imposed on a woman patently and medically unable to withstand it.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:27 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mav42
The "fault" lies in the contumelious rigmorol systematically imposed on a woman patently and medically unable to withstand it.
no the fault lies with a person who obviously should not be traveling alone if there medical condition is so severe
If someone claims to be fit to travel they are fit to be interviewed by immigration in which ever country they are trying to enter.. this happens in the USA also and although a pain in the ass it is how the system is.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

no the fault lies with a person who obviously should not be traveling alone if there medical condition is so severe
If someone claims to be fit to travel they are fit to be interviewed by immigration in which ever country they are trying to enter.. this happens in the USA also and although a pain in the ass it is how the system is.
no she has been mistreated and mishandled ive read up a part on immigration law.
If a immigration officer cannot make a decision due to a medical condition then they should call in a medical inspector to make an assessment which is what should have happened rather than them making a a bad decision.

She was declared medically fit to travel she had no issues the difference is that when she got to UK immigration they took no notice of her social anxiety.
It would be like making a a person with no legs trying to walk and forcing her to do so and watching and laughing ... thats the way that they have treated her
Old Dec 12th 2010, 11:14 pm
staying around

no she has been mistreated and mishandled ive read up a part on immigration law.
If a immigration officer cannot make a decision due to a medical condition then they should call in a medical inspector to make an assessment which is what should have happened rather than them making a a bad decision.

She was declared medically fit to travel she had no issues the difference is that when she got to UK immigration they took no notice of her social anxiety.
It would be like making a a person with no legs trying to walk and forcing her to do so and watching and laughing ... thats the way that they have treated her

The bad decision in your eyes was not allowing her in.. they took into consideration her anxiety they allowed her entry till the Sat when they deported her maybe they should of been really mean and kept her in detention till they deported her . sorry like i say shit deal they did not allow her the vacation that she wanted but no one who is denied entry is happy about it.. I do not see where she was treated any differently than some people who try to enter the USA.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

The bad decision in your eyes was not allowing her in.. they took into consideration her anxiety they allowed her entry till the Sat when they deported her maybe they should of been really mean and kept her in detention till they deported her . sorry like i say shit deal they did not allow her the vacation that she wanted but no one who is denied entry is happy about it.. I do not see where she was treated any differently than some people who try to enter the USA.
Ok im going to say instead of bad decision a more accurate decision then and the only reason she was let home was because the word "liability for her to be in the cell" was being flashed around.

Either way im speaking to my fiancee now she remembers speaking to another deportee on the plane and that in fact it was a total of 5 deportees (all women and american applying for theyre UK spouses to immigrate to the US) have occured all for very weak reasons for sending them back within a couple of days.
Im not just highlighting my fiancees case there are others that are there.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok im going to say instead of bad decision a more accurate decision then and the only reason she was let home was because the word "liability for her to be in the cell" was being flashed around.

Either way im speaking to my fiancee now she remembers speaking to another deportee on the plane and that in fact it was a total of 5 deportees (all women and american applying for theyre UK spouses to immigrate to the US) have occured all for very weak reasons for sending them back within a couple of days.
Im not just highlighting my fiancees case there are others that are there.
If it is like the US they do not give you a specific reason, from what you have said the medical situation could have been a factor, but not the main factor.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 12:23 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... when she got to UK immigration they took no notice of her social anxiety.
There is no obligation on their part to do so.

She was declared medically fit to travel...
If this is true, then why would UK immigration need to take any notice of her social anxiety? On the one hand, you're upset they took no notice, and on the other hand she's fit to travel. You can't have it both ways.

Ian
Old Dec 13th 2010, 12:36 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear of your awful experience, however one of the things that Immigration officers have to deal with is people feigning illness to avoid being questioned.
When I was in a secondary in the US there was a woman refusing to answer questions and saying she was going to faint. They had her sit down and wait until she composed herself, this was all done in full view of everyone. Then they brought an interpreter and the story began to come out, again in front of everyone. They are always looking for the cheaters and thats why you have to have all your eyes dotted.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I had never heard of "social anxiety" until it was mentioned here.

According to Wikipedia ...

Social anxiety is anxiety (emotional discomfort, fear, apprehension, or worry) about social situations, interactions with others, and being evaluated or scrutinized by other people.
I am very sorry about what happened to your fiance, but didn't it occur to either of you that the process of going through customs and immigration in a foreign country might be problematic for someone who has anxiety about "interactions with others, and being evaluated or scrutinized by other people" because that is exactly what is going to happen to them.

Unfortunately even mild anxiety or nervousness can easily be misinterpreted as evasiveness and my guess is that is probably what initially raised red flags. While your fiance's subsequent treatment does appear to have been extreme I suspect that much of that could have been avoided if your fiance had the presence of mind to indicate that she no longer wished to enter the UK and was willing to voluntarily return to the US on the next available flight.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 8:45 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this post. It's a reminder to us all that things do not always go smoothly, and can sometimes get out of control and end badly.

Without trying to assign fault or blame, it seems that your fiancee was not up to handling the questioning she experienced and her inability to do so caused the immigration officials to come to the conclusion that they did.

It also seems that your fiancee was not deported, she was denied entry. She was apparently paroled into the UK for a few days (US-speak, UK-speak may use a different term for it) while immigration officials considered her request for entry. The difference has significance, as the US consular officials told you.

A regretable incident, one wishes that things had gone better even if the final decision were the same.

Regards, JEff

Hi there i have posted before but i have just been through a very traumatic experience but im sure im not the only one who is feeling like this right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.